Wanderlei Silva set for scrap with Chris Leben over July 4th Weekend

There are few guarantees in a sport as unpredictable as Mixed Martial Arts. However, the promise of a stand-up war and a highlight-reel knockout were essentially guaranteed Monday evening when the UFC announced Wanderlei Silva and Chris Leben have been booked to battle on July 2 at UFC 132. Both middleweights have earned a reputation for fistic fireworks based on well-documented instances of fearlessness and forward movement in the ring meaning action should only hit the ground if one of them nosedives face-first into the mat after a well-placed punch.

Leben, who lobbied for a chance at Silva last year, will be looking to bounce back from a TKO loss to Brian Stann at UFC 125 after racking up a three straight wins prior to the defeat. “The Crippler” has finished nineteen of the twenty-five opponents he’s beaten. Among the names in his win column are Jorge Santiago, Mike Swick, and Yoshishiro Akiyama.

Comparably, the match-up will mark the first for “The Axe Murderer” in nearly eighteen months after sitting on the sidelines since a February 2010 outpointing of Michael Bisping as the result of knee surgery. Twenty-three of Silva’s thirty-three total wins have come via TKO including a pair of victories over former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton “Rampage” Jackson while in PRIDE.

The July 2 card is set to be headlined by a bantamweight title bout between champion Dominick Cruz and fan-favorite Urijah Faber and will also feature UFC icon Tito Ortiz taking on TUF 8 winner Ryan Bader.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• climbarock says:

Seems that both Wanderlei and Leben got their wish. Should be an exciting fight. I’m all for it.

• THEGUNNER says:

Bout damn time they give us a good one I want to see if anyone plans a ground attack.

• Creature says:

im gonna say HELL YEAH! this is gonna be one hell of a brawl! idk how but im just gonna say leben takes this

• Jak says:

This is as sure fire a war as Kimbo vs. Alexander or Stephens vs. Guillard or Johnson vs Hardy or….

WAR Silva!

• bigbadjohn says:

Wandys had it tough lately with injuries and personally, I hope I never see the day Chris Leben bring a gameplan sooooo… a lot of variables but I’ll go with a decision win by a tentative Silva.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I would be shocked to see this go to the judges. Leben will come out throwing just to prove he can.

I see someone going to sleep

• Angry Mike says:

They’ll come out swinging and I doubt it gets out of the second round. Leben’s chin is better than Silva’s is now, so it’ll be Leben by ko. Helluva a match up.

• MCM says:

I see Leben throwing his trade mark hay makers, then looking to get things to the ground and work for a sub. I think Chris is kind of embarrassed by his last fight and badly wants to walk away with the “W” and make a statement. Several guys have (T)KO’d Wandy, but no one has ever made him tap. I don’t know why, but I get the feeling Leben will be that guy.

that, or someones getting put to sleep.

• hindsightufuk says:

its a good match up, look forward to it

I agree that he isn’t to pleased with himself after that loss to stann.

MCM I like your take on this it would be a nIce notch on his belt to sub wand…

• stone says:

Good stand-up fight. Can’t wait to see this one. I’m glad they still gave it to Leben after the Stann loss.

• Dufresne says:

Oh hell yes!
    The only problem with this match up is I don’t know who to pull for. Two of my personal favorites bringing the fireworks on the 4th of July.

• boomnutz says:

the best part about this fight is both guys just throw more and throw harder once they’re hurt…should be exciting

• Nice…I know they’ve both been calling for this and its nice to see it happen. Wandy has no delusions about being the champ again and I think he just wants to put on the most exciting fights possible….while I agree with Jak that some fights promise fireworks and deliver lay n pray….THIS one i know wont dissapoint….my head tells me Leben but my heart says Silva will bring his winging bombs….this wont go past the second.

• HevyHitters says:

Ya leben might have a tougher chin then wandy, but we havnt seen him after his knockout to stan, ya he’s gonna have something to prove and train real hard, but I don’t no why anyone isn’t giving credit to wandy…his stand up is better, kicks are better, and wandy does not have a bad ground game…I don’t see leben having the tools to pull out the win…just my thoughts…although I do like both fighters, wandy will win either by tko in the 2nd or if he can’t find it, by decision

• this is gonna be lights out, Chris Lytle should commentate this one

• boomnutz says:

Wandy should be able to eat him up with the clinch too…

• HevyHitters says:

Ya, especially when leben is walking towards him like a zombie from getting rocked swinging punches leaving his neck out there, can we finally see the clinch come back? Might just see it this fight

• Lord Faust says:

This fight has me conflicted. The fanboy in me says Axe Murderer all the way; the cynic in me says that Wanderlei’s best days are behind him and Leben can hang in there long enough to land his bombs. All that said, I wonder if Leben’s chin is being oversold by many people; dude can take a punch — of that there is no question — but Stann proved Leben can be put down; so did Anderson Silva. Before the Stann fight, I would have picked Leben to win this via KO, no problem. Now, I am leaning more towards Wanderlei; provided he comes into the fight looking nothing like Shogun.

If Leben wins this one and picks up one more W I’d like to see a rematch with Stann…especially if Stann loses his next fight against Santiago.