UPDATE: Injured Mike Kyle pulled from April 9 bout with Gegard Mousasi

Strikeforce officials were left scrambling for a talented 205er this week after receiving word Mike Kyle would be forced to withdraw from his scheduled match-up with former light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi after breaking his hand while training for the bout. The two had originally been set to face off next weekend at “Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley” as part of a stacked card featuring two title-fights in what was believed to be a battle for top contendership in the division.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker broke the news on Thursday during a conference call with media to promote the event where it was also announced a replacement would be named as early as today.

The 30-year old had also broken his hand while serving as a last minute replacement against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at “Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu 2” in December though it wasn’t revealed if his current injury was related to the previous affliction.

The 18-8-1 Californian had gone 8-1 (with a No Contest) with the lone defeat coming to Fabricio Werdum and wins over Tony Lopez, Ron Humphrey, and Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante. Fourteen of his eighteen total victories have come as the result of striking.

Though fans will have to wait and see who Strikeforce comes up a logical replacement for Kyle seems to be 10-4 Ovince St. Preux given his seven consecutive wins and history of filling in at the last minute if necessary.

UPDATE: Five Ounces of Pain contacted a source close to St. Preux’s camp who said OSP had been offered the spot opposite Mousasi but declined given the short amount of preparation time.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• MickeyC says:

The curse of a shallow weight class. Come on dana lend them some one.

• fanoftna33 says:

Very bad news for Kyle as this looked like a very winnable fight for him. Gegard has some very impressive skills everywhere but wrestling, and Kyle has great wrestling. I think with his power and takedowns Kyle would have had a decision win here.

• fanoftna33 says:

Did read on another forum that Jardine is a likely canidate, hope thats true, could be a fun fight.

• Dufresne says:

I personally don’t want them to have Jardine fill in here, I just don’t see anyway he could win a fight with Gegard. Jardine has decent punching power and an awkward style, but Gegard has pretty decent power, fantastic technique, good accuracy and none of that is good for a guy with a chin made of fine china.

Hopefully they can find a solid replacement. I haven’t been lucky enough to see Gegard in a live event since he lost to King Mo.

• Dufresne says:

And I just heard that Cheick Kongo has said he’s fighting Gegard April 9th. I wouldn’t mind seeing that matchup if Kongo can manage to cut enough weight without hurting his cardio. Kongo’s bigger, stronger, and also a very good striker, so I guess we’d be getting a speed & technique v power and size fight.

• Dufresne says:

I like the idea of OSD v Gegard more than a fight with Kongo. I hope this update is right.

• fanoftna33 says:

Gegard would be a tough fight givin a nice long training camp, let alone 1 week notice so I wouldnt hold it against anybody for turning it down. I think the whole deal with Kongo was just a April fools joke.
    Jardine may not have a great chin but he can sure surprise people with his power. I think that a motivated Jardine is a good match up here.

• MCM says:

I liked OSP better, but I guess I can see why he turned it down. I think Jardine should be at least 2 or 3 fights away from being in a #1 contender fight so I don’t like him being so close to a title shot just yet. Problem is, I can’t think of anyone else. Unless their just looking for a name, then they could get Houston.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

No legit contender is going to want a fight like Mousasi on a week’s notice. My guess is they will either push him back to the next event while sorting it out or bring in a journeyman with no title-significance to pad Mousasi’s stats for a title-shot against Henderson. Trevor Prangley perhaps?

• Creature says:

Maybe this whole thing is an aprils fools joke?? Wouldnt surprise me any

• JOEgun says:

Rich Franklin could be fighting Gegard. That would be a great fight!

I wonder if they will give him the title shot if he gets past Gegard. That would mean we’ll see Franklin vs Henderson 2 but for the Strikeforce middleweight title.

interesting

• JOEgun…I like the way you think that would be awesome.