The Ultimate Fighter 13: Episode 1 Wrap-Up

Team Lesnar
Head Coach: Brock Lesnar
Assistant Coaches: Luke Richardson (Strength/Conditioning), Marty Morgan (Wrestling), Erik Paulson (Jiu-Jitsu), Rodrigo Medeiros (Jiu-Jitsu), Greg Nelson (General)
Fighters: Len Bentley, Charlie Radar, Tony Ferguson, Clay Harvison, Myles Jury (Injured), Chris Cope, Nordin Asrih, Chuck O’Neil

Team Dos Santos
Head Coach: Junior dos Santos
Assistant Coaches: Lew Polley (Wrestling), Luiz Dorea (Boxing), Billy Schiebe (Muay Thai)
Fighters: Shamar Bailey, Ryan McGillivray, Javier Torres, Ramsey Nijem, Zach Davis, Nick Bowman, Keon Caldwell

General Information: All fighters compete at welterweight. There is no elimination round on this season aka no “fight your way into the house” round. The wild card is being brought back and the winner of the wildcard fight will get the eighth spot in the quarterfinal round. Lesnar picked the first fighter, Dos Santos picked the first fight.

Injuries: Myles Jury – Torn ACL/Major Knee Injury. Was advised not to fight and had to leave the show to get his knee fixed. Was replaced by Chuck O’Neil.

House Stories/Drama: None
Gym Stories/Drama: None

Fight Announcement: Shamar Bailey (Team Dos Santos) vs. Nordin Asrih (Team Lesnar) as picked by Junior Dos Santos
The Fight: The first round was all Bailey. He took down Asrih at will and controlled him the entire round. Asrih offered very little off his back although Bailey did very little damage on top outside of a flurry or two. The second round was more of the same. Asrih actually got on top for a brief moment early in the round but Bailey quickly reversed him. Bailey did end the final minute of the round in mount, landing some good elbows. An easy decision victory of Bailey.
Result: Shamar Bailey (Team Dos Santos) def. Nordin Asrih (Team Lesnar) via Unanimous Decision

Shamar Bailey Report: He was Dos Santos’ first overall pick and one of the more well-known fighters on the show. While it wasn’t the most impressive performance ever, it was enough to get the job done. It would have been nice if he finished the fight given all the dominant positions he had though.

Nordin Asrih Report: Very bad showing. He was easily put on his back and looked like a fish out of water on the ground. He was Lesnar’s last pick and it showed.

Off to a slow start… hopefully it just feels that way due to the guys not fighting to get into the house.

• qat says:

Very disappointing fight. Lesnars guy really had nothing at all on the ground and Bailey just laid on him.. in 10 minutes he delivered like .. 2 solid elbows and 2 solid punches?? My god it is his big chance to be seen by so many fans, and he does nothing.. his top control didnt even looked to be good, the other guy just was totally incapable. Even harder to comprehend why he didnt even try to deliver some gnp.

• bigbadjohn says:

slowest, blandest start to TUF I’ve ever seen

• Angry Mike says:

I wonder why the didn’t have the candidates fight their way in to the house. Some of those fights from previous seasons were pretty entertaining, and it made the first episode much more dramatic. Maybe the winners were taking too much damage before their fights “inside” the house.

• MCM says:

Thank you 5oz for listening and putting up a TUF thread. I know you guys bust your ass on this site, and we are sometimes a demanding bunch (still wait’n on that forum 😉 ). It’s great to see a site actually listen to its readers.

As for last night,
    Did anyone else get the impression that Shamar Bailey just wants to spoon with JDS? I’m sure it was the editing, but with all the hugging going on and Shamar talking about spending time together after the show and everything, it just seemed a little awkward to me.
    Bailey’s wrestling looked great, but damn he needs to learn how to throw a punch on the ground and learn a submission game. I personally think he would have done better on Brocks team as they would have been able to take what he’s already good at and make it even better.
    I agree it was a slow start, but at least the preview for the coming season looked exciting.

• MickeyC says:

disapointed. No fighting to get in, team selection behind closed doors. Just did not dig the feel of it. From the clips looks like brock flips out a bit. Big surprise. Fight sucked ass. Dana looked ashamed.

• climbarock says:

I missed the show and forgot to DVR it…and after reading this discussion I’ll take it as a fortunate oversight.

• Angry Mike says:

Is it just me, or does it seem that Brock has a majority of strikers on his team, and dos Santos has more wrestlers? You’d think that Brock would be laser-locked on wrestlers since that’s his only skill. You’d also expect do Santos to have a bias towards strikers given his strengths.

• Guthookd says:

The fight was not great, true. Wrestlers without any other skills are sometimes boring to watch and even less fun when they’re on top of you and you can’t get out.

Next week will be better.

If Brock keeps up with his good attitude he’s going to solidify his iconic status in MMA. The only thing wrong with the guy originally, IMO, was that he was a fucking prick. If he’s all of a sudden going to be cool, as well as a phenomenon of a beast, I just might start to like the guy. Not to mention he looks a lot better with that scar on his face.

• Dufresne says:

I loved the first episode of the seasons where they had to fight to get into the house. Except for the 7th season when my buddy/coworker lost by submission trying to get into the house…

I was kinda thinking that too, but I don’t know enough about any of the fighters to really be able to tell for sure. Maybe they went for guys that were weaker in the discipline that they themselves are best in. That way they don’t have to focus too much on coaching the stuff they’re weak in and they can make the most of their short coaching times. If a guy’s already a great wrestler but sucks at striking, focusing on wrestling won’t be nearly as useful for him as teaching him to throw would be.

still wait’n on that forum 😉

I too would like a forum, but what I was thinking about the other day that I would really love is a chat room or IRC for when there are live cards. I think talking in real time with the folks from this site would be pretty sweet. I know there are other MMA chats for fights, but I don’t go to them for the same reason I only use 5oz for my MMA news: there are far too many trolls and general dumbasses on other sites.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

After all I have heard about JDS and his poor English I was surprised. Even with out subtitles I had very little trouble understanding him.

Since it seems to be a tradition for TUF coaches to destroy a door or wall are we gonna see Brock bust through a wall ala Kool-Aid man if he gets pissed?

• TerribleT says:

Is it just my perception or does Brock look quite a bit smaller ? His face,neck and shoulders don’t seem to be nearly as big as they use to. When he fought Herring and Couture he looked huge! I think w/o a doubt the intestinal disorder he had, diverticulitis,was a lot more devastating on him than 1st thought. Against Carwin and Velaquez he looked noticeably smaller IMO and now I think he looks to have even lost a little more girth since then too. His size was his one big advantage over the other heavyweights. Without it I doubt he’ll ever regain the title.