UPDATE: Jon Fitch injured, out of UFC 132 fight against B.J. Penn

It looks like fans will have to wait to see what would have happened if Jon Fitch vs. BJ Penn went to round four, five, and six. Fitch has been forced to withdrawal from the card after suffering an injury while training for his UFC 132 bout.

The extent of the injury is not known but it is severe enough to keep Fitch out of action on July 2, 2011. No word yet on who will replace Fitch or if the bout will remain at welterweight but UFC officials are searching for a replacement.

MMAWeekly.com was the first to break the news. A follow-up story on ESPN mentioned the former Purdue Boilermaker’s affliction is related to his shoulder.

Fitch and Penn previously met earlier this year at UFC 127. The bout was highly competitive for two rounds with both fighters have their moments of dominance. The third round was all Fitch though as he took down and beat up Penn for the majority of the five minute frame. It wasn’t enough though as only one judge scored the fight for Fitch while the other two judges scored it a draw. The end result was an unsatisfying majority draw, which immediately led to talk of a rematch.

UFC 132 is scheduled for July 2, 2011 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show will be headlined by a UFC Bantamweight Title Fight between champion Dominick Cruz and challenger Urijah Faber.

• bigbadjohn says:

disappointed or elated? Surely the reactions will differ.

• Dufresne says:

Wasn’t expecting this at all. I think this is the first time that Fitch has ever had to pull out of a fight due to injury. I guess the wear and tear is starting to catch up with him.

Hopefully they can find a decent replacement for Penn. And although I doubt he’d do it, with 3 months notice he could potentially accept a fight at LW which would open a few more options.

• stone says:

I wanna see Penn fight someone else anyways… How about Paulo, Kampmann, Thiago Alvez, Hardy, Serra etc etc. With all these bad ass fighters in the WW division, I never understood the whole rematch situation. I really don’t care what WW he fights. I’m down with Penn all the way!, unless you put a Diaz brother on’em. Then I’d be torn between the 2

I wasn’t looking forward to this anyway just hope they match up Penn nicely with a new opponent

• Jak says:

Must be a bad injury, UFC 132 wasn’t until July….

Was a waste of a fight anyways, Fitch needs top WWs and Penn needs some exciting opponents to finish up his career.

• fanoftna33 says:

• TerribleT says:

Actually a blessing IMO. I agree w/ Rece Rock 100%. . . .I wasn’t looking forward to superfight II & hopefully Joe Silva matches BJ up w/ another WW top contender like Carlos Condit or gatekeeper Martin Kampmann

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Shoulder eh? I injured my shoulder while painting once, watching the paint dry afterwards reminded me of Fitch.

• danw84 says:

I wonder how long he’ll be injured for. Forever? I wouldn’t mind never watching Fitch fight again.

• elkymbo says:

Haha Logic you’re a fucken classic. Did my job for me :)

• Creature says:

Damn guess im the only one on here that isnt a Fitch hater. im disappointed about this, i was looking forward to seeing Fitch get the W in the rematch and get another shot at the title or take a vacant one

• boomnutz says:

I like Fitch too, but that didn’t stop me from laughing out loud, nice one Logic. Just curious, did everyone forget this was a #1 contender fight, not a “super fight” i think it’s the only reason why they were doing a rematch…I’d say give him Condit, and keep it as a #1 contender fight. He’s the only guy near the top with a legitimate claim… Alves just lost, Kos just lost, Diego has a solid W then a questionable one, AJ just one win (although AJ Penn is probably the second best scenario imo) and Shields is fighting GSP, it has to be Condit right? or maybe an excuse to bring over Diaz!?!?

• boomnutz says:

sorry that last part was me dreaming aloud…i’ve been waiting for Diaz to return to the UFC for awhile now to see what he’s really made of

• I was actually really pissed about this…I thought Fitch won the first one and was sure he’d take this one. BJ vs. Condit…or Ellenberger….that would be sick

• climbarock says:

I’d love to see BJ vs. Condit or Alves. Alves would be a tough draw…but I think at this point in his career BJ only wants tough, high-profile opponents anyway. Kampman is coming off two losses, BJ already dismantled Diego Sanchez, Hardy just lost 3 straight, and AJ, Ellenberger, and Paulo Thiago aren’t big enough names to keep BJ interested.

If Shields loses his title shot I’d like to see that matchup. Hell, if Shields wins it’d be a nice matchup too, but I assume Georges would get an immediate rematch given that he’s been such a dominant and popular champ.

• MCM says:

I get the feeling the UFC will most likely pull BJ from the card. There are very few guys with his name and status left that he hasn’t fought. Condit would be a good fight, but Carlos doesn’t have the name or drawing power of BJ. Guida would be a good fight, but he’s got to get passed Pettis and come out of it virtually unscathed. I was gonna say Almedia, but he retired. There just aren’t a lot of fighters for someone of BJ’s status.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

BJ vs. Condit for #1 spot makes sense. Whoever said BJ v. Hardy, must hate Hardy.
    BJ would have a big advantage no matter where you take the fight.

• elsicilian says:

“What really stands out to me is the fact that Fitch is training 3 months out, and I bet Penn isnt, thats the real story I think.”

… and how did that work out for him?