NSAC clarifies situation surrounding Thiago Silva’s UFC 125 urine sample

Nearly two months’ of speculation have finally given way to facts in the case of UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva whose name was left off an official list of competitors cleared for illegal drug use on the heels of a victory over Brandon Vera at UFC 125 in January.

According to a press released issued by Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, the State’s governing board has filed a complaint alleging the urine sample Silva submitted on January 1 in co-ordinance with the event was found to be inconsistent with a human specimen. A follow-up test was conducted by an outside entity where it was also deemed to have either been “adulterated and/or substituted” though Silva had signed a form stating, “I certify that I provided my specimen to the collector; that I have not adulterated it in any manner; each specimen bottle used was sealed with a tamper-evident seal in my presence; and that the information and numbers provided on this form and on the label affixed to each specimen bottle is correct.”

Up next for Silva is an April 7 date with the NSAC where he will have an opportunity to argue his case and potentially be subject to a significant suspension and fine. While he hasn’t responded to today’s news yet Silva did initially deny any wrongdoing when the commission’s initial report was released in February.

The 15-2 Brazilian had originally been scheduled to face Quinton “Rampage” Jackson over Memorial Day Weekend before the cloud of suspicion attached to the drug test results opened the door for Matt Hamill to step in (as well as for Vera to get at least one more shot in the Octagon based on the tainted defeat).

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

I can hear it now in Bruce Buffer’s loudest octagon voice: Thiago “Cat Pee” Siiilllvaaaa!”

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’ve heard of doctored samples or masking agents but, not of human origin has to be a first. I hope they tell us what animal.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Kevin Randleman was in a similar situation a number of years ago.

• fanoftna33 says:

Wow maybe he used a wizinator with some horse pee inside? Really sucks for Thiago as he put on shuc a good fight to now have a lot of questions about him for the next few years.

• bigbadjohn says:

come to think of it, Thiago did look like he could’ve been picking ticks off Vera’s back when he got all slappy on him

• MickeyC says:

Animal pee really. Was there no one on his team that could pass the drug test? To ashamed to ask his toddler, I supose. If this ends up being true, one word will sum it up. DUMBASS.

• hindsightufuk says:

gutted, hope its not true or there is some genuine mistake

I’m just picturing the entire production of gathering the urine from a pet,” here kitty kitty…” Perhaps he went to the local sporting shop and purchased some fox urine… “Ahh this stuff will do the trick, look it says urine write there on the label”…

• Dufresne says:

Claiming it’s a false positive is one thing, but when they’re saying it’s not even human you’re in a whole different area. I’ve had probably 50 drug tests in my life and gotten a false positive maybe 3 times, but I’ve never had it come back as “not human.”

I’m hoping there’s something else going on here because I hate it when something like this ruins what was a good performance. But since they’ve already gotten an outside lab to double check it, I’m thinking he’s guilty.

• fanoftna33 says:

from what Keizer has said it doesnt mean its animal urin just that is is tampered with, the urin sample had no testosterone levels at all, which let them know it was tampered with. If they had only tested for drugs of abuse like cocaine then they never would have known but since they test his testosterone levels it showed up dirty.

Jesus Dufresne 50 tests what were you on probation ? 😉

yeah ok so it doesn’t mean it’s animal urine… does him having an instrument containing apple cider strapped to him make it any less funny ? :) ” I knew I should have used the Mott’s not the no frills bullshit… dammit.”

• Guthookd says:

He was hurt, he needed to recover, he used some juice, test time came, he injected animal piss into his bladder. Understandable. I would love to see the documentary.

Thiago “Animal-Cock” Silva.

• Dufresne says:

Jesus Dufresne 50 tests what were you on probation ? 😉
    Nah, I just seem to have a fondness for jobs that require peeing in a cup.

I worked as a maintenance guy at day care while I was in high school, so that was at least a test a year. My high school did random testing of every student 2-3x a year. I worked as a life guard/counselor during the summers and the way they did business you had to be re-hired every summer, so that was another one there. After I left for college I got tested a couple times a summer while working as a whitewater raft guide because if someone gets seriously injured and you pop positive it’s possible federal time for you and a big ass fine for the company. During my first 3 years in college I worked as a lifeguard again so they tested me once a year, and during my last year I went to work as a pharmacy tech so you know they had to test me before hiring.

• fanoftna33 says:

Apperently Thiago has admitted to using a masking agent to cover up banned susstances, nice to see a guy admit to his mistake and not throw anybody else under the bus. He will most likely be out for 6 months because he admitted to it- thats my guess anyway.

Thanks for the Resume your hired Kid!

• Guthookd says:

Pharmacy tech = great money. I was the assistant manager for a National drugstore for a while and my pharmacy techs made almost twice as much as I did. Of course, if there was ever a miss fill it was…..”manager to the pharmacy please”….I gave away a lot of ointment and shit making up for PT mistakes….LOL.

• wow Dufrense….every white water river guide I went on the rapids with was always tryin to sneak off and burn one.
    and your high school did random drug testing? Good God man, what Nazi state do you live in?