Ryan Bader vs. Tito Ortiz targeted for July 4th Weekend

It appears a former Ultimate Fighter coach will meet an Ultimate Fighter champion this summer when Tito Ortiz and Ryan Bader lock horns at UFC 132 in Las Vegas as part of the company’s annual Fourth of July Weekend event.

The two men had initially hinted at an in-ring encounter through brief exchanges of online trash-talk with news of the bout being confirmed with sources close to the match-up by MMAWeekly.

Though both light heavyweights are coming off losses they are each at very different points in their careers. The 15-8-1 Ortiz hasn’t tasted victory since October 2006 with four losses and a draw in his last five fights. However, he has also gone the distance against a trio of former 205-pound champs during the stretch including Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, and Lyoto Machida, and only recently claimed to be 100% healthy after dealing with chronic back/neck injuries.

Comparably, Bader’s defeat marked the first of his career and came against current title-holder Jon Jones. The second-round submission at UFC 126 broke a twelve-fight winning streak for the Ultimate Fighter Season 8 winner including victories over Keith Jardine and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Other fights announced for the July 2 card thus far include a headlining rematch between Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn as well as three tilts featuring notable lightweights in the form of Matt Wiman vs. Dennis Siver, Melvin Guillard vs. Shane Roller, and George Sotiropoulos vs. Evan Dunham.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• boomnutz says:

first off, isn’t Wiman a big step down for Siver? and on that point what happened to a rematch between Wiman and Danzig, i’ve never seen a fight so blatantly called wrong…

poor Tito, another matchup with someone better at all the things he’s good at

At least Tito will go out fighting a young fighter thats some where in the mix…

• nice.. I have been waiting for this since Tito could fight in Seattle. .which I will be attending!!!!

• MCM says:

Weren’t Rashad and Machida, young fighters some where in the mix?

I also love the Wiman/Siver fight. I think Wiman is only one or 2 fights away from a title shot, and if he out strikes Siver, give him Jim Miller or loser of Maynard/Edgar for a title shot.

• Guthookd says:

Why doens’t Dana just smack Tito in the face with a baseball bat, give him $50,000 and call it a done deal.

There is no point to this fight, period.

Bader via domination.

Yeah mcm those fights were with young guys in the mix but I don’t think they were as close to retirement matches as this one is…

• YetiLee says:

I like this match for Tito better than the Nog fight. I don’t think Bader is all that great and I will be rooting for Tito come this fight, which I also see him winning. It’s not like Tito has looked bad in his last few fights, he just fought some really tough fighters along the way. Bader is a step down compared to the others Tito has fought and I truly believe all the haters will be proven wrong and Tito will win this fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

I seriously doubt Tito is ready to retire but if he loses here there is literaly nowhere to go for him to get paid anywhere close to what he thinks he is worth.
    I wouldnt count him out here either as he does have a decent game off his back and Bader is still a bit raw. Also Bader tends to get sloppy and tired, and Tito didnt get tired out at all vs Hamill so look for Tito to try and drag it out and get the decision over Bader.

• Angry Mike says:

Bader’s going be pissed off and looking for redemption after his beat down from Jones. Tito’s gonna get an ass whoopin’.

• Dufresne says:

So we’ve got Tito 1.0 v Tito 4.0…

• bigbadjohn says:

this one would have fit in perfectly with 128’s theme of “out with the old”

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Tito is going to get injured in training again.

• qat says:

I think Tito is going to get injured while walking to the cage.

• Kamakosmo says:

Tito will definitely be injured after the fight…at least that will be his excuse for the loss.

• Im gonna second mma logic…pending the betting lines being released on this one…if Tito feels he’s being disrespected he might actually fight…or it might scare him. Either way, I see this being possibly bad for Tito…and nothin but positive for Bader as long as he’s competitive.
    And what do you mean tito didnt tire in his fight with Hammil? He threw the one head kick and gassed almost instantly!

I def see Tito having a role similar to Liddel being a brand ambassador and just representing the UFC when they come to town or whatever… Tito is a talker and can drum up interest fairly easily

• Guthookd says:

Well I’m actually glad to see that Tito has some supporters. I still think he’s going to get owned and look weak, but for your sake I hope he makes it competitive.

• trupert says:

I don’t mind Bader taking out Ortiz. Kinda looking forward to it.
    Looks like the only logical fights left to book right now in light heavyweight would be:
    Griffin v T.Silva (to get up near #1 contender)
    and
    Franklin v Bonnar (to stay relevent/to get back inside top 10/to make a ‘last run for the title’/whatever)

• Rich S. says:

I’m not sure why at this point, but I’m still interested to see what happens every time Tito steps in the cage. With that said, he simply can’t hang in the UFC. Every fight is the same for him. He starts strong with good striking and clinch work and then crumbles after a taking a few shots to the head, and gets battered for 3 rounds.

Unfortunately for Tito, I think Bader could actually finish him.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Bader wins and in post fight interview Tito will say ” I hurt my (back/neck/knee) in training but, I wanted to come and try to give 100% for all my fans in (where ever they are). I still think I can fight if I can be healthy.” Or some other crap like he usually does when he loses.

Tito is irrelevant at 205. If by some chance he beats Bader..then what? Who of any relevance at 205 would he face? I really don’t see him beating anyone at this point in his career.