DaMarques Johnson latest opponent for Amir Sadollah at Fight Night 24

The revolving door of opponents for Amir Sadollah relating to his scheduled bout at Fight Night 24 rotated once again over the weekend as James Wilks, originally a replacement for Duane Ludwig, was scratched from the card due to an injury sustained in training. Stepping in for Wilks at the March 26 event will be Ultimate Fighter Season 9 alumnus DaMarques Johnson.

Johnson is coming off a first round submission of Mike Guymon in January at UFC Fights for the Troops 2. The victory was his third in four contests including finishes of Brad Blackburn and Edgar Garcia.

TUF 7 winner Sadollah is in a similar position after a successful performance in November and wins in two of his previous three fights. However, all three outings went the distance meaning Sadollah’s only finish in the Octagon thus far came against C.B. Dollaway at the Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale in June 2008.

Set for Seattle and perhaps the biggest in the series to date, Fight Night 24 features rising star Phil Davis putting his undefeated record on the line against PRIDE veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Anthony Johnson making his return to the ring against brash Brit Dan Hardy, a rematch to clear the controversy surrounding Leonard Garcia‘s first fight with Nam Phan, and appearances from talent including John Hathaway, Aaron Simpson, Alex “Bruce Leroy” Caceres, and Sean McCorkle.

• Dufresne says:

Sadollah has showed some vastly improved standup in his last few fights, but until he shows that he can finish when he’s got his opponent rocked I just can’t get behind him winning this fight.

Damarques is a proven finisher, and while he’s not an elite level fighter, he’s not facing one in Sadollah. I think Damarques takes this one, but I’m not sure how. His three finishes are to TKO, submission from a triangle, and submission from a body triangle which to me shows he’s got a good mix of power, technique, and killer instinct.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wouldnt count Amir out just because he hasnt finished anybody lately, some of the best out there dont always finish fights. Johnson has the power advantage but I think Amir will be patient and outpoint him here.

• MCM says:

Steve Byrnes, Gerald Harris, Matt Brown, and C.B. Dollaway (twice) were all finished by Amir, before he turned pro. He may not have the most impressive record in the UFC, but I still think he’s got some of the most potential out of any TUF winner. I think Damarques will be his toughest fight yet, but I’m giving the edge to Amir. I’ll take Amir by RNC in the second.

• boomnutz says:

I really like Johnson on the show, but after that I felt l like he never really put things together, but he wins somehow, so i’ll give him credit, def got to say he’s got heart.

• Dufresne says:

I definitely agree with you here, I’m just not convinced he’s developed enough of that potential to take out DaMarques just yet.

I can see Amir being a lot like KenFlo in the long run. He’s got a similar build, some pretty decent submissions off his back, and some of the most rapidly improving Muay Thai in the business.

If Amir has advanced as far from his last fight as he did between his loss to Hendricks and his fight with Baroni, he could very easily prove me wrong. And I will be smiling when I admit it too; for some reason I like the guy. Probably because he sports a mullet.

• boomnutz says:

Duff man this is twice i’ve disagreed with you today (other time was about divisions, I didn’t post, but i like how they are now minus the need for a cruiserweight at around 225) which is odd cuz are opinions are usually close…but i actually think Sadollah is too well rounded for Johnson, plus training at Xtreme Couture, we’ll probably see a little more improvement (as compared to the improvement in Johnson) and a better gameplan, at least imo