Natural disasters cause cancellation of Japanese events

The planet offered a grave reminder of mankind’s place in the big picture late last night when a massive earthquake followed by a series of aftershocks and devastating tsunami rocked Japan. Like so many people of the world, American MMA fans watched in horror at video of infrastructure being wiped away like words on a chalkboard with their concern quickly turning to the affected people rather than a number of fights planned for the weekend here and abroad.

As might be expected, a number of shows scheduled to take place in Japan have been put on hold as the nation’s focus turns towards safety and recovery. Those included in the bunch were offerings from Jewels, Pancrase, and Shooto, where officials solemnly cited damage to the historic Korakeun Hall in Tokyo.

Female fighter Roxanne Modafferi, who lives in Japan, was one of many in the MMA community who took to social networking sites to offer some personal perspective on the 8.9-magnitude quake. On her Facebook page Modafferi wrote, “Yes, I felt the earthquake and for the first time in my life, I feared for my life and ran out of the supermarket! I saw a seven-story shopping center swaying before my eyes!! Omg!”

Hundreds of deaths have already been reported with many more expected in the coming days. The earthquake is the most powerful to have ever hit Japan in recorded history. No figure has been released in terms of damage estimates but given the extensive destruction it will clearly be an exceptionally high figure. Interested parties can help donate to the relief effort via the Red Cross.

PHOTO CREDIT – AP

Some of the available images on the web are pretty intense… can’t even imagine the impact this will have on there lives for a long time to come.

Not that I’m saying it’s the direct cause of what has happen in Japan or any where else but one of these days we gotta stop raping this planet for energy resources and realize perhaps drilling, miling and mining the shit out of the planet may cause some effects to the enviroment. I mean I’m relatively young but I don’t recall all these “natural disasters” and other enviromental phenoms happening so OFTEN when I was growing up. Now it’s like every other month there is a state of emergency due to weather or Natural disasters around the world.

Not trying to be all enviromentally conscience or something I’m just saying some crazy shit has been going down and we perhaps need to think this out a bit and not just chalk it up to Mother Nature.

• Spoken says:

Some say that these disturbances in weather could be caused by the poles of the earth shifting more drastically than what we are used to, which also might help explain birds falling out of the sky, wide-spread fish-kills, and an unusual number of dolphins washing up dead not too long ago… Or maybe its our fault for being so wasteful and careless. Who knows? I do feel bad for all those people over there in Japan though. and the fighters missing out on a paycheck…

• Dufresne says:

Terrible disaster. Hopefully there won’t be too large a loss of life.

And I’m pretty sure these disasters happened just as often 200 years ago as they do now. The major difference is international media and the internet. 100 years ago if there was an earthquake in Japan, do you really think it made the headlines in the US or UK?

I knew some one was going to bring up the age of information point… I definitely get what your saying Duf and its definatrly a valid point but when you say 100 years ago that’s roughly around the time events like WW1 and the sinking of the titanic and other pretty well documented events took place… I mean I’m sure international news was already wide spread just not as fast but notification was still made… No? But I can see your point of having much greater access to information… Just seems like lately the maddness is reoccurring more often but that’s just my take.

• bigbadjohn says:

enjoyable reading your guys’ takes on the situation. Frankly, I wasn’t going to even read the comment page on this article since I assumed it would be filled with only sentimental statements and well wishes. Not that that’s a bad thing

• Jess says:

Bless the people of Japan in their time of need.
    Why is it every time a disaster happens like this, people come out and say (or imply) how it is mankind’s fault, or because we are drilling, taking advantage of the environment, etc. etc. , give me a break, don’t throw your theories around, that is all they are theories and they are on both sides of the argument. The facts are “The U.S. Geological Survey earlier verified a magnitude of 7.9 at a depth of about 25 kilometers that’s (15.5 miles below the sea floor) and located the quake 130 kilometers east of Sendai, on the main island of Honshu. It later upgraded it to 8.9” These kinds of disasters earthquakes, volcano eruptions, floods, tectonic plate movements have been happening for ages, and all of the sudden it is mankind’s fault, I’m calling BS.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry Jess but here is a theory of somebody’s, and that is that the moon is very close to the earth at the moment (the closest in 25 years) and with the extra gravity from being so close, things start to move.
    I am not sure but there could be something to it.

• adamsfamily says:

The japanese will bounce back from this quickly with a combination of swift acceptance, consideration and motivation that comes natural to them. The reduction in loss of life from such a huge event comes from a hundred years of planning and preparation and dealing with real life recovery of other quakes.

And I agree with Jess, lets face it, Hokusai and Hiroshige didn’t create beautiful woodblock prints from their imaginations.

• Jess says:

Sorry what MMA-Logic. You come back with the moon could have caused this…great not saying it did not, but what you said mankind did not cause (the moon theory). My original point, I dont beleive manking caused this. Nice logic.

• king mah mah says:

Earthquakes have been happening since this planet was born.

The reason natural disasters seem worse as time goes on is because they affect a lot more people with this ever growing population. Do they happen more frequently? I’d have to do some research. But i’d be willing to bet it’s been a pretty steady process since this planet started life.

I feel sorry for the people in Japan and I wish the survivors well.

Cross your fingers people. Because this could happen anytime anywhere. It has nothing to do with drilling or anything else. We were born naturally on this planet so wouldn’t everything we learn to do with the resources be natural too? Seems logical to me.

• qat says:

Even if you would be right with saying that there are more frequent and more severe catastrophes than a hundred years ago, or even a thousand years ago, this is not a period in which you can derive anything from it. Mankind and chronicles are so very very new.., and we still know very little of the whole system called earth and how it will act or react.

The planet is billions of years old, and it was seldom quiet, there where ice ages, warm periods, hot periods, ice ages again etc. There even was a mega-continent called pangea and other still unknown states. Imagine men would have been around, and in such quantity, when the mega-continent “broke apart”. The things we call catastrophic now are without a doubt terrible for us and especially everyone involved, but if you look at the big picture..

Im not saying mankind has nothing to do with any bad stuff happening, but an earthquake? Climate is still very debatable too..

@Rece
    The Titanic is not a good example, or was that an Indonesian ship with Cambodian passengers? How many Haitians knew of it 50 years ago? Even today if it were not for the movie and the whole freaking myth about it? I hope you understand what im getting at.

• MCM says:

2012

nuf said.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t finish school until 2013, so if there is even a shred of truth to the 2012 crap I’m beating some celestial bodies’ ass for making me do all this work for no damn reason.

• MickeyC says:

2012…… That movie sucked ASS!!

• adamsfamily says:

qat – have you read: ‘Titanic – the ship that never sunk’ ?

• adamsfamily says:

Mickey C – I agree, 2012 (movie) sucked the ass of an old whippet that just shit itself after eating its own shit.

• qat says:

@adamsfamily

• adamsfamily says:

Qat

Interesting but not ridiculous conspiracy reading – check it out

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

As usual governments not planning ahead with their citizens tax dollars

• Dufresne says:

???
    I’m not following you GIKE. Could you expand on that? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying I don’t know what you mean.