Hermes Franca draws Drew Fickett at MFC 29

Former UFC lightweight contender Hermes Franca will take his talents North of the Border next month after signing a multi-fight deal to compete under the MFC banner. His promotional debut is set for April 8 at “MFC 29: Conquer” and will involve a test of his tap-out abilities as Drew Fickett, who has thirty submission wins to his credit, has been named as Franca’s opponent at MFC’s Ontario-based offering.

Their co-headlining bout was announced early this morning through an official press release from the company.

The colorfully coifed Brazilian last fought on February 26, finding success midway through his match-up against Jorge Sarat via Armbar, and holds an overall record of 20-11. Prior to the victory Franca had lost four consecutive fights though in fairness he also outpointed Ferrid Kheder last December only to watch the result turned into a “No Contest” after the show’s promoter overruled officials and awarded Kheder the decision. He holds past wins over Marcus Aurelio, Spencer Fisher, Toby Imada, Jamie Varner, and Nate Diaz.

The April event will mark the second appearance in the organization for Fickett who tapped Matt Veach out in 39 seconds late last month at MFC 28. The performance marked the fifth consecutive time the 31-year old has had his hand raised as well as five straight submissions. Fickett is 41-13 in his career with wins over Kurt Pellegrino, Josh Neer, Ken Florian, and Josh Koscheck.

In addition to Fickett vs. Franca, MFC 29 will feature Ryan Jimmo defending his light heavyweight title against Emmanuel Newton, Douglas Lima taking on hard-hitting Terry Martin, and the MFC unveiling of Marcus Davis who fights Curtis Demarce.

This is a tough one to call… it depends on which version of each fighter shows up to the fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

This could be a pretty good to great grappling match, though I’d give Franca the edge standing due to the power he has. If Fickett gets a convincing win here I would say for sure he is back to form. Great match making by MFC.

• MCM says:

Fickett has looked like a new man over the past year so I’m interested to see how he fares. Franca has KO power and Drew has a suspect chin, but I’d give the edge in submissions to Fickett. Your right Rece, tough call. But I’m gonna go with Fickett just cause he’s been on a tear lately.

• trupert says:

Winner of Jimmo vs Newton goes to the UFC, am I right? what do you think?

Dunno…Seems like jimmo is just a big fish in a lil pond.. a pound thats not that populated.

Plus Jimmo beat Newton in ’09 I mean I know that doesn’t mean much 2 years later but it’s still a point of contention when considering what a win would mean.

• Dufresne says:

If we get the fat Franca that showed up against Tyson Griffin, I’m giving this one to Fickett easily. If we get the old version of Franca that submitted Nate Diaz and TKO’d Spencer Fischer, I’m giving it to Franca.

• hindsightufuk says:

hermes is one of my all time favorite fighters

MCM i would give Hermes the edge in subs over pretty much anyone, i always thought Hermes was probably the best fighter from the guard in all MMA except maybe big nog in his prime. would have loved to see him fight bj, that ones been on my wish list for fucking years
    not saying you’re wrong tho, just my opinion

• TerribleT says:

Hermes fought 4 times in 2010(all at 155 lbs.)and went 0-3 with 1 NC. He did however win his last fight which was just a couple weeks ago(Feb.26th)but it was against a guy that just recently turned pro,Jorge Sarat,who is now 0-3,not exactly a huge win but a win is a win. One problem in fighting Fickett though is Hermes will be moving up to Welterweight,something I don’t think he’s ever done B4 and Fickett is gonna wanna get the fight to the ground. Can Hermes stay on his feet where he has the striking advantage? I hope he can but I seriously doubt he’ll be able to. Gonna be a tuff row to hoe for Hermes.