twitter google

Hector Lombard set to see action in Australia against Joe Doerksen

Explosive middleweight Hector Lombard will go for seventeen straight wins a little more than two weeks from today when he faces sixty-fight veteran Joe Doerksen at a Cage Fighting Championship event in Sydney, Australia.

Their headlining March 25 match-up was announced by CFC in addition to a welterweight bout pitting area products Manuel Rodriguez and Rod McSwain against each other.

Currently Bellator’s 185-pound champion, Lombard has gone 20-0-1 since falling to Gegard Mousasi nearly 4 ½ years ago. He holds an overall record of 27-2-1 with only seven decision wins in the group. Lombard last fought in October at Bellator 34 in a title-retaining performance against tournament finalist Alexander Shlemenko.

Doerksen should pose an interesting challenge for the 32-year old Cuban based on having twice the experience of Lombard as well as respected ground-game resulting in 33 of his 46 wins coming by way of submission. “El Dirte” has not fought since dropping back-to-back bouts in the UFC late last year after compiling seven consecutive victories prior to the defeats. Among the numerous individuals Doerksen has beaten are the likes of Patrick Cote, Dennis Kang, and Chris Leben.

15 COMMENTS
  • Rece Rock says:

    I’m a fan of Hector’s but I wouldn’t count Doersken out he’s capable of pulling off a sub out of nowhere.

  • Guthookd says:

    Yeah, we’ll see Rece. I think Lombard is just going to smash him instantly my self. Poor Joe, that will be three in a row.

    It pisses me off that BFC is wasting money on the LHW and HW divisions when they could be putting that money into MW, WW, LW, FW, and BW.

    There’s no rule that says a promotion has to have a champ in every weight class, and really, a champ like Konrad fighting dudes like Neil Grove actually detracts from the standing of the whole business IMO. Those are the kind of fights you’d expect to see at a local Indian casino, not on MTV2 for the 3rd biggest promo in the country.

    Do us all a favor Bjorn > FOCUS on MW and under. Forget about HW and LHW. No more non-title fights, no more title holders at all except for Season Tourney champs.

  • Guthookd says:

    The point of above rant is that all the money they’ve spent on worthless HW fights could have gone to some “good” fighters to face Hector.

    Taking a fight out of promotion and out of country is a clear sign that he needs more competition. Jesus.

  • Rece Rock says:

    All too True GutHookd…

  • MCM says:

    Hey Rece,
    Bellator is gonna be in your neck of the woods (roughly) on April 2. Whats the possibility of you being able to attend a Q and A and ask Bjorn about Tourney Titles as opposed to Weight Class Titles?

  • Rece Rock says:

    MCM I’m down… BUT Conn. isn’t really that close but we’ll see maybe it will be a nice weekend to take the wife up for some gambling and catch the fights… I tried tweeting Bjorn that inquiry and he failed to respond soo dunno guess we gotta take it a step further 😉

  • Brendhan Conlan says:

    Lombard has had a professional relationship with CFC for awhile so I wouldn’t read too much into the fact he took a fight with them while waiting for a Bellator bout.

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    AHHHHHHHH HA!

    Thank god for Bellator being lenient on exclusive contracts eh?.
    I bet you all wish this fight couldn’t happen. Right?.
    All those that want this fight to happen are against exclusive contracts.
    Because if he was 100% exclusive he would not be fighting Doerksen. REMEMBER THAT!.

  • Rece Rock says:

    Where on this did any one complain about him fighting outside the promo?? I think in most our eyes he is a TOURNEY champ NOT a weightclass champ sooo if he loses he loses. In my eyes the belt might as well be a “title trophy” and he won the trophy and he’ll defend his tourney title against the guy who wins the next “trophy” and so on and so on… I hope your listening Bjorn.

  • MCM says:

    LOGIC, you’re just happy cause it’s in Australia. I bet you 10 AU$ that you wouldn’t give to farts about Lombard/Doerksen if it took place in Nebraska. Come on over to the land of plenty son, we have more than enough MMA for you. Embrace the UFC, join the Dark side.,

  • MCM says:

    I tried tweeting too Rece, but Twitter said I couldn’t tweet to someone that is not following me. I’ll try to facebook him but I think we have to be “friends” first. Damn you social media networks.

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    You missed the point.

  • MCM says:

    No, you missed the point.
    You’re acting as if Doerksen vs Lombard is some kind of dream match that fans have been clamoring for for years. I like Joe, but he’s a mediocre journeyman at best. Hector is arguing for a spot on most peoples top 10 list. Doerksen doesn’t even belong in the same cage as Lombard. This is equivalent GSP going to Japan to fight Kevin Burns.
    If Hector wins, who cares. He beat a guy coming off back to back losses to two middle of the road UFC fighters. He’s supposed to win and he should be doing it with one hand tied behind his back.
    But, and here’s why Bellator should have locked him down, if he looses, he looses any status he currently has. How would it look for Bellator to promote a guy as champion when he just lost to a UFC reject who’s biggest win in the past 5 years was Tom Lawler? Lombard is now on nobodies top 10 list and sponsors start looking else where fighters. Bellator looses credibility as a world class organization and Lombard looses sponsors, fans, and any credibility he has.
    I accept that you don’t like exclusive contracts. But it’s only through holding onto fighters that organizations can build them up, and in doing so, build their own brand giving them the ability to build up new fighters.
    Think of it this way, if Nick Diaz had the exact same record against the exact same fighters he does now, but instead of fighting for SF and EXC the past couple years, he bounced around to a bunch of local promotions with the occasional DREAM fight and maybe one in MFC. Do you really think he’d be as highly ranked as he is now?

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    MCM you missed the point. I never said this was a dream match up, did I? So stfu. I said if you are pleased about this happening you are against exclusive contracts. If you are happy with 10 organisations all having 1/10 of the best each and them never fighting just so a few promoters can get rich by not allowing their fighters to be exposed good luck to you. Lets divide all other sports up for you too. We cant have fighters fighting each other can we McM.

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    damn! Just rang the ATP and they wont go for the idea of stopping Nadal and Fed from playing each other. Dont they know that 1 of them might lose?. They should not allow it. We should have 50 different tennis orgs so we never see who is the best. I get your point MCM, its just that it is really flawed and means that the best never compete and we never know how good a fighter is because you are afraid we might find out he sucks. I guess ignorance is bliss. You can have all the bliss you want MCM but I want answers. I guess thats what makes me and you different MCM, 1 of us likes a bit more bliss than the other.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.