UFC exploring possibility of earlier PPVs starting with UFC 129

MMA fans on the East Coast will no doubt be pleased to hear the UFC is looking at pushing PPV broadcasts up a full hour meaning future events would hit the airwaves starting at 9:00 PM EST. The logic behind the UFC’s decision is related to the huge number of Americans residing on the East Coast who aren’t necessarily able to invest in a program ending at 1:00 AM but could be more open to the idea with an earlier start.

News of the pending change was first reported by MMAFighting where an unnamed UFC official also explained the move, only experimental for now, may become permanent at some point soon.

The first PPV subject to debut at 9:00 PM EST will apparently be UFC 129, somewhat appropriate given the card’s overall significance as well as expectations of record-shattering attendance in Toronto. The event is set for April 30 and will feature Georges St. Pierre‘s title-defense against former Strikeforce middleweight champ Jake Shields.

• ByronGiant says:

Sure east coast people will get to bed sooner, but most west coasters will either still be at work or on the way home from work and miss the first hour at least. I think this will end up with fewer PPV buys overall. I could be wrong, but I don’t know anyone who’s will to pay $60 for something they only get 2/3 or 1/2 of.

• bigbadjohn says:

work on a saturday? people do that?

• danw84 says:

I’m pretty sure the majority of people on the west coast aren’t on their way home from work at 6PM on a Saturday.

• JOEgun says:

central time for me. i dont work on saturdays anyway. i always thought 9pm was kinda perfect, but 8pm sounds a bit better. this means i’ll open my first beer an hour earlier, since i start drinkin an hour before the ppv. sounds good. lets do it!

• Dufresne says:

With you there JOEgun. I would love the fights to start at 8 central time, especially if that means the prelims start at 6:30 or 7. Then I can eat dinner and have almost no down time between feeding my gut and feeding my MMA addiction. Hell, I might not even have to get off the couch. After all, that’s the new American Dream

• danw84 says:

Really not looking forward to 5pm prelims, and the whole thing being over at 9pm. Oh well, I have a buddy in the Maritimes, and they’re 4 hours ahead of PST. Sucks for him that an event doesn’t even START until I’m used to it having been over for an hour, and it isn’t even over until 2am.

• elkymbo says:

Drinking at 8 in the morning it is then. Sounds like a normal Sunday in Australia to me.

• stone says:

Who cares!… Where’s Diego’s medical report?!!

i work 2 jobs so 90% of the time i’m ready to pass out by the mainevent so this sounds good to me..
    i wonder how the bars that show the ppvs will react…

• Angry Mike says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but why don’t people record the shows? I’m a DirectTV customer, and I’ve been ordering ppv’s and recording them for later viewing for several years. Before that I did the same thing with Crapcast. My schedule is stupid, and if I didn’t record ’em, I couldn’t watch ’em.

• boomnutz says:

Angry Mike, I do this all the time, cuz I work at 6 AM on Sundays for my part time, but it’s so hard not to find out what happens, I’d rather just watch it live…whether it internet browser home pages, retarded friends sportscenter, it almost always gets ruined…

I think this is F*&#ing awesome, I wish they’d start at 8, but an hour in the right direction is sick!!

Rece i’m with you on the 2 jobs, this is welcoming news…bigbadjohn ZING!! that was great, who cares about people on the west coast anyway, pshhh f them!!!

I kid I kid

I DVR fights BUT I’m constantly on my mobile web and the outcomes would be spoiled for me before I got to watch them the next day… soooo I keep one eye open and watch them live.

• MCM says:

elkymbo – you’re awake at 8 am on a Sunday!? :)

I got no problem with the earlier time. I’m on the Left Coast and wind up watching the things online anyway.

(not true Mr. White. I pay full price for all your shows every time. 😉 )

• Dufresne says:

i wonder how the bars that show the ppvs will react…

My prediction is that Happy Hour is gonna bring in the masses.

@Angry Mike
    I do DVR almost all the fights, but like Reece I’d rather watch them as they happen so I don’t risk having the results spoiled before I can watch the recordings. Another reason I record them is because one of my best friends ends up having to bartend most Saturday nights so she comes by later with food and watches the recordings the next day.

• TerribleT says:

9:00 o’clock,10:00 o’clock,either is alright by me :-) ! You guys that think an hour earlier is BS must really hate the UFC events that are overseas & start about the time you’re getting up in the morning out West unless you wait for the tape delay PPV or the Spike broadcast in the evening but then again you probably already know all the winners & losers by then. I’m just glad I get to watch period & that MMA is finally mainstream! :-)

• elkymbo says:

Course I’m up at 8 on a Sunday morning MCM. I start work at 5;30 so that’s a sleep in for me. I find it funny that you can’t believe I’m up but seem to accept that I’m drinking at 8 no worries at all haha :)

• Angry Mike says:

I’ve known some Ozzies, mate, so nothing you say would strike me as unlikely or impossible. They were great guys, but crazy as shit house rats. In a good way.

• MCM says:

I’m Irish. I find it funny that you can be up for 3 hours BEFORE you start drinking. 😉

• boomnutz says:

nice duff man…gettting food, fights and a lil nooky!!

sounds like a fine saturday evening

• elkymbo says:

That’s it! Irish Aussie drink off!

• MCM says:

Irish Car Bombs and Glenlivet vs. …….uh… Fosters and Yellow Tail Shiraz?

• Dufresne says:

That’s it! Irish Aussie drink off!

Irish Car Bombs and Glenlivet vs. …….uh… Fosters and Yellow Tail Shiraz?

Gets my vote for retort of the day.

• boomnutz says:

fuck that…you couldn’t find yellowtail or fosters in Australia if you tried…

it’s more like a goon sack and a tooheys

• Dufresne says:

One of those sounds like a sex crime, and I’m not sure which…

• elkymbo says:

The only people on this planet who drink fosters are the poms. I’m drinking a mojito at the moment! And tonight I’m going to use my goon bag as a pillow :)