Dan Henderson earns event-high $250,000 for Strikeforce title win

It’s no secret newly crowned Strikeforce champion Dan Henderson loves warm weather. An avid outdoorsman from California with a perpetual tan, Henderson even mentioned his disdain for the Columbus climate a recent conference call promoting this past weekend’s event. Fortunately for “Hendo”, it appears he’ll now be able to thaw his bones out somewhere tropical if he so desires after earning a quarter-million dollars for his title-winning performance over Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante.

Henderson’s pay, along with those of his peers, was released earlier today by the Ohio Athletic Commission.

Fellow main-card fighter Tim Kennedy came in second place in the salary sweepstakes with Cavalcante only making $28,000. Kennedy earned $50,000 for his submission win over Melvin Manhoef.

Meanwhile, female 135-pound champion Marloes Coenen took home $10,000 for her gutsy performance against rising contender Liz Carmouche with Carmouche making $5,000 respectively. The 19-4 Coenen retained her belt after recovering from a fairly sound beating on the ground to lock in a fourth-frame Triangle Choke.

Read below for a complete listing of “Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson” salary results:

John Kuhner – $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. J.P. Felty – $1,500
Mitch Whitesel – $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Marc Cofer – $1,500
Brian Rogers – $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Ian Rammel – $1,500
Jason Freeman – $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Jason Riley – $1,500
Jorge Gurgel – $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus) def. Billy Vaughn – $1,500
Roger Bowling – $7,000 (includes $3,500 win bonus) def. Josh Thornburg – $2,000
Jorge Masvidal – $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Billy Evangelista – $20,000
Tim Kennedy – $50,000 (no win bonus) def. Melvin Manhoef – $10,000
Marloes Coenen – $10,000 (no win bonus) def. Liz Carmouche – $5,000
Dan Henderson – $250,000 (no win bonus) def. Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante – $28,000

PHOTO CREDIT – ESTHER LIN / STRIKEFORCE

• Dufresne says:

$250k? That’s a champion caliber payday there.

But before anyone gets on the “UFC doesn’t pay enough” bandwagon, look at the other salaries. They’re very close to what most UFC fighters are making and in several cases lower than what you see from a UFC card.

• THEGUNNER says:

They shouldnt put the low dollers up on the post I wouldnt fight for lower than 10 000

• boomnutz says:

it’s not the 250K that sticks out to me…it’s the 28,000 for Feijao…

and people complain about the UFC….

• fanoftna33 says:

10 grand for Marleos, damm they are worth 5 times that. She is three times the fighter Carano is.

The above salary figures are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event…

• MCM says:

Kennedy, Coenen, Henderson – no win bonus money.
    Kampmann and Sanchez – $160K each in PURE bonus money (not including Diego’s win bonus).

I’m not knocking SF, and I have no idea if Coker gives out “locker room” money, but these FOTN bonuses that the UFC gives should be made standard for the rest of MMA.

Coenen only made 10k for a title defense!?

• Angry Mike says:

If any of those fighters accomplish what Henderson has, they’ll be compensated accordingly. Just win, baby.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Henderson made $61,000 more than the rest of the card combined.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Cavalcante getting 28 thou is BS.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fight of the night bonuses are BS just make the win bonus bigger and give them stoppage bonuses. Then it is not up to Dana and who he feels like giving it to. You shouldn’t have to brown nose to get a bonus. It should be an incentive to fight hard and to finish your opponent and not an incentive to be entertaining and nice to Dana. You should know where you stand before the fight and not have to hope Dana digs your style.

• Xspur says:

I’m not opposed to the winner of a fight getting so much more if that was agreed upon beforehand. Also, consider who’s name sold more tickets? Dan Henderson or Rafael Cavalcante? Fact is Hendo put asses in those seats, and he got paid for it. Doesn’t seem so out of line to me.

• Dufresne says:

Fight of the Night are impressive accolades, but at the same time I’d be pissed if I got too many of those. That means that my opponent made it way too competitive for my tastes. I may be a type-A personality, but when a competitor keeps pace with me, whether it’s chess, swimming, or even math, I’m pissed at myself for allowing them even enough space to breath in the competition, much less enough room to compete.

KO or Sub of the Night is much more along my tastes for bonuses, and both should be offered in every organization in every card as extra incentive to make it memorable. Personally I wouldn’t be opposed to a “Mauling of the Night” in place of the “Fight of the Night” bonus for matches that warrant it. If you’re up against a guy like Jeremy Horn it’s kinda hard to finish them, but being recognized as a grizzly bear would take the sting out of missing KO or Sub of the Night.

• Dufresne says:

And just a side question: where does Dana White come into this at all? This was a SF event. As far as I know he doesn’t have any say in how any of these break down, much less how the bonuses work.

I’m usually a fan of how you dissect topics, but I can’t quite wrap my head around They should be getting more but Scott Coker should not be issuing the gold stars. If a fighter can’t finish or just fight for points they should be getting less money but it should not be up to a guy like White to decide who gets what.
    Maybe you’re having an off day, happens to the best of us (me included, but that should be insinuated by the “best of us” part 😉 )

• MCM says:

You know by now that LOGIC has to throw digs at the UFC every time he posts. We could be talking about cooking recipes and it would be Dana’s “Exclusive Contracts” that caused his eggs to be runny. I just skip those parts. 😉

But I do like LOGIC’s idea of stoppage bonuses. SF, and most other orgs, probably don’t have the cash to shell out an extra $40-70k three times an event. But an extra $5-10k per stoppage isn’t a bad idea. (Unless all 12 fights end in stoppage.)

• boomnutz says:

MCM that was great!!

On a side note, just curious I’m hearing a lot about Hendo and his right hand (I want to preface this saying I’m a HUGE fan of his) and how he must be considered among the G.O.A.T. (specifically ESPN has a post about it) my personal thoughts and feelings are that the right hand in the Feijao fight barely connected, and the face plant did more damage than anything, I don’t feel Feijao is that impressive of a win for someone of Hendo’s caliber (i actually think the LHW division in SF is weak). I love Hendo but think he’s a class below guys like Anderson Silva, Fedor, probably GSP (when all said and done), Chuck and maybe a few others (potentially Hughes, Randy and BJ). I just want to get eveyone else’s thoughts and opinions on the “phantom” right hand, am I the only one that thought it barely connected? (I give him credit for pouncing, THOSE were some mean rights) and thoughts on his standing all time?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry I thought we were talking about FOTN bonuses. MCM said that the UFC bonuses should be adopted everywhere. I think Dana works for the UFC. duhhh. I thought played chess?. What I said was that FOTN bonuses are BS and it shouldnt be left to Dana or Cocker to dicide who gets what. Get it?. I dont get how saying niether Cocker or White should have that power is a shot at the UFC MCM. Does Cocker work for the UFC?.

R.I.F.

Reading Is Fundamental.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

MCM you crack me up. Let me put it this way, even though you dont fight in the UFC Im surprised you dont get a bonus. You are worse than me. I will attack exclusive contracts and you will defend the UFC. I dont skip those parts but I do read between the lines. Im sorry about the spelling mistakes but it is isnt my fault, the UFC has these exclusive contracts and they cause me to spell …

• MMA-LOGIC says:

R.I.F.

Rece is a fundament.

fun·da·ment (fun?d? m?nt)
    noun
    a base or foundation
    the buttocks
    the anus

The buttocks… the anus…Hmm I guess I could see the comparison to myself because…..
    I could really give a SHIT. 😉