UPDATE: Former WEC fighters pocket pair of UFC Live 3 bonuses

“UFC Live 3: Sanchez vs. Kampmann” marked the first live MMA event on Versus since the network’s celebrated run of WEC programming ended with the UFC’s absorption of their sister-promotion’s roster, and in appropriate fashion a pair of individuals with fourteen fights between them in the WEC cage who were making their Octagon debut ended up with half of the event-specific bonuses. The awards and their monetary value were reported after the show by UFC officials.

Former WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles earned “Submission of the Night” and $40,000 after putting Damacio Page to sleep using a Guillotine Choke with ninety seconds remaining in the opening round of their UFC Live 3 showdown. Interestingly enough, not only did the 30-year old defeat Page using the same technique at WEC 35 but both finishes came at the exact same mark. The win was the first in a year for Bowles after losing his title to Dominick Cruz at WEC 47 and subsequently being sidelined with injury as a result.

Fellow WEC alumnus Shane Roller also pocketed $40,000 for “Knockout of the Night”. Roller withstood an impressive assault from opponent Thiago Tavares in the first round of their fight but came back sharply in the second stanza with a straight right resulting in the end of the Brazilian’s night. The victory brought Roller’s win column to double digits as his overall record now stands at 10-3.

Finally, though the headlining tilt between Martin Kampmann and Diego Sanchez may have resulted in a debatable decision one thing impossible to argue is the level of entertainment both welterweights provided in the evening’s final fight. The two talented 170-pounders battled for three hotly-contested rounds seeing Sanchez bruised and bloodied with Kampmann also leaking crimson and nursing a possible broken hand. Their mutual performances in Sanchez’s razor-thin win netted each man $60,000 for participation in “Fight of the Night”.

UPDATE:: Yahoo Sports is reporting Dana White decided to throw an extra $100,000 on top of the $60,000 award as a means of honoring the gutsy performance both turned in.

I think Sanchez’s FOTN Bonus Check was signed over to the best plastic surgeon in Louisville 😉

Hope the next to cards from BFC & SF are as good or better then last nights UFC fights… MMArch MMAddness!

• danw84 says:

Yeah, Diego’s face was jacked up bad. I’d like to see him today.

• JOEgun says:

i agree with all the designation of the bonuses. excellent night of fights.

i’ll be lookin for that pic of diegos mugged mug

• fanoftna33 says:

I loved that fight last night, but think Deigo lost. Deigo though showed more intestinal fortitude(to steal a line from the late great Gorilla Monsoon) than anybody I have seen in a long time. Maybe since Clay Guida. Very solid night of fights.

hey fanoftna- I’ll go the Mick Foley route and call it Testicular Fortitude…. tell u guys one thing, Diego won me over as a fan .

• boomnutz says:

yea I agree I can’t wait to Diego’s face, that was a tough call for knockout of the night, but I think I would have given it to Munoz…he’s got the best hammerfist in MMA (and i’m not forgetting about Brock)…

I mean this as nice possible, but what are you smoking fanoftna33, I think Diego won those last 2 rounds easily, I think he won the standup and secured the takedowns

• Sykotick says:

Boomnutz

He secured ONE takedown and he hurt Kampmann once. Meanwhile I believe the Hitman dropped the Dream once in each round. And if Diego really got the better of the striking in the last 2 rounds is there any particular reason why Martin’s face looked fresh as a daisy at the end of the fight yet Diego’s looked like ground meat that got left out overnight?
    CLEARLY Kampmann won that fight, I would MAYBE give Diego the 3rd round but that’s about it.

• MCM says:

booomnutz,
    even if Munoz had laid out CB cold, I still think I would have given it to Roller. But only because he got so out classed in the first that I don’t think anyone saw that KO coming.

Could you please explain to me what you saw last night that made you think Diego won the fight? I’ll give him the one takedown, even though it took him 15 tries to get it, but I think he was out struck every single round. So did CompuStrike and FightMetric.
    I’m just curios, cause I’ll be honest with you, if I’m a young fighter. I look at this fight and the Phan/Garcia fight and I think that all I have to do to win is keep moving forward and swinging. It doesn’t matter if my hits land or how messed up I am at the end of the night, as long as I stay conscious the judges are gonna award me the fight.

I also read somewhere that Dana was so impressed with the main event that he gave the an extra $100k each on top of the 60k.

• Angry Mike says:

The judges’ scorecards said Sanchez won, but his face said he lost. Badly. And I think his face was right.

• G-DUB says:

The sentiment I’ve heard that “Kampmann won the fight because look at his face and look at Diego’s” is silly. Some people bruise and bust open more quickly and worse than others…. that’s no way to judge a fight. Kampmann’s jab was awesome, but Diego’s wild flurries had Kampmann in more trouble and closer to fight stoppage. Furthermore, they clearly had Kampmann back-peddling and fighting for survival. I appreciate the technical striking, but Diego won rounds 2 and 3 with his uber-aggressiveness.

• Dufresne says:

Roller’s straight right was a thing of beauty.

• MCM says:

Thanks for proving my point G-DUB. Aggressiveness > everything else.
    It doesn’t matter that Diego’s flurries were hitting mostly air and that Martin had Sanchez back peddling at the end or each flurry. It doesn’t matter that Diego barley wobbled Kampmann, but Martin actually dropped Sanchez. It doesn’t matter that for every strike Diego landed, Kampmann landed at least 1 or 2 of his own. It doesn’t matter that Diego, whose not known as a bleeder, looked like he got repeatedly smashed in the face with a ball peen hammer.
    None of that matters because Sanchez was aggressive.

Pay attention young fighters….Aggressiveness > Everything else. Always.

• boomnutz says:

you guys are on drugs, Diego clearly took over that fight in the second round and the momentum kept rolling, and Diego was only dropped in the second round Syko…Diego had more Octagon control in each of the last 2 rounds, he had Martin backing up, he had more punches land (granted his pct may have been lower, but the number of shots connected in the last 2 rounds I’d be willing to bet was definitively in Diego’s favor) moreover, the takedown in each round DEF. secured the W…Syko what fight were you watching, Kampman didn’t thrown a right for the last 2:30 of the fight…

MCM, you must me blind, Martin may have better technical striking, but he got sucked into Diego’s fight…all his punches landed in the last 2 rounds were gobbled up by the volume of Diego’s, Martin was clearly uncomfortable in the last half of that fight

• boomnutz says:

sorry* he was only dropped in the first round…

• boomnutz says:

AND, Martin’s face was all banged up too, not as bad but still messed up

• fanoftna33 says:

Rece Yes Mick Foleys saying is VERY appropriate also- well done.
    Boomnutz, after a review of the fight I still think Kampmann won for sure, but Diego constantly coming forward and playing the aggressor had to play into a judges decision and I understand that. Bur look Martin outlanded Diego 94 to 45, stuffed 14 of 15 takedowns and controlled distance very well. All in all probably fight of the year and I am not really complaining because I am huge fan of both guys.
    On a side note I am from Humboldt so you better belive it is good stuff.

• MCM says:

I’ll take that bet on the numbers of shots Diego landed in the last 2 rounds.

I agree that Diego came out in the 2nd and 3rd and pushed Martin out of his comfort zone and made him fight his fight. I just think he lost at his fight.

And I’m not so blind that I can’t see that Sanchez still only had 1 takedown during the entire fight. :)

• boomnutz says:

i guess i’m just glad the judges weren’t smoking the same shit y’all is smoking

• boomnutz says:

lol…no doubt, wanna send some up to bean town???

• boomnutz says:

Well the way I viewed it…Martin’s punches lost all its zip by round 2, then the takedown sealed the deal…and the third round was all Diego

• MCM says:

boomnutz says:
    March 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm

“lol…no doubt, wanna send some up to bean town???”

Dude, you gots to go hit up some Portuguese neighborhoods in Somerville.

not that i have any idea what you’re talking about.

• MCM says:

I’m pretty sure it was Kampmann’s punches in the 3rd round that swelled up Diego’s left eye and bloodied that side of his face.
    Now I’m gonna have to go watch it again to see.

• boomnutz says:

dude, you know about port-a-gees!?!? I thought they were a MA secret??? one of my best friends is from Somerville btw, you have roots here?

• boomnutz says:

if you watch tho, Kampman breaks his hand half way thru the round and only throws 1 or 2 rights, he’s basically backing up throwing jabs

• MCM says:

Just moved from there. Davis Square.

So your saying that a jab Kampmann threw while backing up, busted up Diego’s eye. And you said he lost his zip in the 2nd.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Want to throw something in the discussion that Forrest Griffin said last night about the scoring. Essentially he stated takedown attempts are offensive moves and stuffing them is a defensive move. Since you don’t get points for avoiding/blocking punches why should you get points for stuffing a takedown? Makes a lot of sense to me and has changed my perspective to an extent.

What do ya’ll think? Should Kampmann stopping Diego’s takedowns have been factored in?

• stone says:

The punch that fucked DS face up was at the end of the 3rd. It cracked loud enough to hear it on TV… It was a combination of MK’s hand breaking along with Diego’s left orbital… Diego’s face is obviously broken along with Kampmann’s hand.

As far as the dec win goes…. Kampmann has a problem with finishing opponents. In the Shields & Sanchez fights he’s had more than a few opportunities to win the fight. IDK if its his corner telling him he won the 1st & 2nd, if his cardio breaks down or if he just doesn’t have the killer instinct… Either way, after all the CLOSE decisions he’s been involved in (win or lose) you would think he’d change his ways. I still believe Martin won the fight, I do however think it wasn’t the landslide victory everyone is blogging about. It was a very close fight and Diego did show more heart. When a fight is that close I think the judges do gotta take “damage” in consideration and I don’t think they do at all. I wanna see D. Sanchez vs J. Koscheck 2 and I wanna see Kampmann vs Carlos Condit 2 ….Peace 5oz.ers

• Dufresne says:

Absolutely they should be factored in. Part of the judging is supposed to be Octagon Control, and unless I’m mistaken that doesn’t just mean standing in the center of the cage the longest. By stuffing the takedown you’re controlling where the fight takes place just as much as when you land a successful takedown.
    I understand the whole offensive move v defensive move, but who says that defense shouldn’t get credit as well? The judges seem to like giving a guy credit for submission defense, why not for takedown defense?

• fanoftna33 says:

For sure they should be counted. If a fighter throws 150 punches a fight and only connects with 15 that counts against him, if you try for 15 takedowns and only get one that also should count against you.
    Again I really hate haveing this discussion because both guys deserve all the credit in the world dor putting on that show, awesome night.

• mu_shin says:

Many of us often question and debate the judging standards in MMA. This fight illustrates some of those issues, as do the questions and comments in this post.

While I think it’s pretty clear that Kampmann outstruck Sanchez in round 2 in terms of numbers, when Diego backed Kampmann up and started firing heavy shots, it may have seemed to the judges that he landed the more effective blows, and hence, got the round. Many of us complain about the outmoded application of boxing standards in MMA, but this may be one instance where that application is justified. MMA is also not really a point sport, so there are times when I don’t feel that the FightMetrix numbers always tell the whole tale.

In boxing, a fighter can dominate a round but suffer a knockdown in the last five seconds, and will lose the round 10-8 almost every time. It’s a flawed comparison I know, as there are no such comparitive standards in MMA, but I think that may be illustrative of the logic we saw operating in round 2, to Kampmann’s detriment.

Personally, I came away thinking Kampann won the bout through technical superiority in striking, with that slick jab repeatedly knocking Diego’s head back, particularly in rounds one and two. Watching the fight live I thought Diego did come on in round 3, and coupled with the obvious hand injury to Kampmann, took the last round. Close enough fight to go either way, and with Kampmann not pressing his advantage toward a definitive finish, we got a decision that did not satisfy a lot of fans, if these posts are any indication.

Hard to quantify a negative technique, meaning hard to assign value to avoiding a take down the same way we award points for offensive scoring. When I watch Anderson Silva slip punches, I’m amazed, the same way I was when Muhammad Ali did it in his heyday, but those fighers won/win their contests on the strength of their offensive output, as incredible as their defensive skills may be or may have been. That said, in an MMA context, when a fighter consistently stuffs an opponent’s shots, I believe it should directly effect the judge’s consideration of ring control and determining which fighter is awarded consideration for controlling the action.