Paul Daley delivers, Ricco Rodriguez keeps rolling at BAMMA 5

After sauna issues stymied the weight-cutting process a day earlier it no doubt came as a relief to fans, fighters, and the promoter when Saturday’s BAMMA 5 went off without a hitch in Manchester including a pair of successful showings from the card’s co-headliners.

Former UFC heavyweight champ Ricco Rodriguez continued his winning ways and emerged victorious for the eleventh consecutive time after outpointing TUF 10 alumnus James McSweeney at the event. The performance brought Rodriguez’s overall record to 46-11 and was the latest example in an impressive eight-year streak of opponents’ inability to finish him.

Also successful at BAMMA 5 was heavy-handed Brit Paul Daley who cemented a crack at Strikeforce welterweight title-holder Nick Diaz’s belt by flattening foe Yuya Shirai in less than two minutes. Though no date has been confirmed for the expected match-up it seems plausible an upcoming show on April 9 could work based on the quickness in which Shirai was dispatched.

Read below for a breakdown of BAMMA 5 results:

Jeremy Petley def. Frankie Slater via Submission Round 1 (Armbar)
Costas Doru def. Liam James via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Tim Newman def. Diego Vital via Split Decision
Michael Johnson def. Paul Cook via Unanimous Decision
Jason Ball def. Peter Duncan via Knockout Round 2 (Strikes)
Lee Cohoon def. Rob Mills via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Mohsen Bahari def. Lee Barnes via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Claudio Henrique Da Silva def. Jean-Francois Lenogue via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Alex Makhonin def. Xavier Foupa-Pokam via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Ricco Rodriguez def. James McSweeney via Unanimous Decision
Paul Daley def. Yuya Shirai via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)

• MickeyC says:

Lets get rico in SF too. He make a weight class that’s starting to look good even better.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Daley doesn’t have what it takes to beat Diaz. Diaz will slip or deflect most of his big shots and the ones he lands won’t be enough.

I got Diaz via submission rnd 2

I agree that SF & suave could mutually benefit from him being on the roster…although I’d like him to enter the octagon again just to come full circle.

As far as Daley is concerned- on paper he doesn’t beat Diaz… BUT Diaz is sorta stubborn in his ways of beating the opponent at there own game so with that said if Diaz stands and trades excessively with Semtex there’s a chance he gets rocked but if he is smart he’ll just get it to the ground and sub him, guess we will see what happens…

• danw84 says:

I agree Mickey, I’d like to see him in SF

• LiverPunch says:

McSweeny is 4-7 and although I think Ricco is an OK fighter he has not faced and beaten anyone who is remotely near the top since 2002. He has however lost to Sylvia , Monson , BigFoot , Wiuff , Rothwell , Nog , Waterman (1 win each) , Rizzo and nearly everyone who is anyone. His 3 biggest wins in the last 9 years are Fulton , Broughton and Waterman. To be completely honest I don’t think Ricco is good enough to beat a top 40 HW anymore. I wont say he shouldn’t go to SF or the UFC but I will say that if he does he will go the way of Buentello quickly. I think he was at his best 10 years ago. I watched 1 of his recent fights and if he fights like that against guys like Kharitonov or Mir he will be destroyed within the first rd.

• LiverPunch says:

Daley vs Diaz will be a good one.
    Could go either way but I will back Diaz in the 3rd via TKO.

• LiverPunch says:

“on paper he doesn’t beat Diaz”

Who is saying Diaz is really good now?. A top 10 only capable of beating Diaz if Diaz remains stubborn. I think your overrating Diaz Rece. I mean who has he beat recently?.

• Sykotick says:

Liver, he beat miller with the help of his brother and Melendez

• Sykotick says:

In all seriousness, I HIGHLY doubt Nick Diaz is going to KO or TKO a guy who has 38 fights and his only TKO loss was due to a dislocated thumb 5 years ago.
    Daley’s striking is eons ahead of Diaz’s not to mention Daley could punch a hole thru steel.
    Do I think Daley will win? Probably not cuz Daley is as versed on the ground as Bisping is classy, and Nick is comfortable on the ground.
    I hope if the fight happens that Nick gets this burr up his ass to strike with Semtex and gets put out like a joint past the roach clip stage.

I’m not over rating DIAZ I’m lowering Daley’s stock…. Diaz could sub him farely easily I believe IF it goes to the ground. If Diaz stand and trades for too long he will get rocked and that will be that BUT that’s only if Diaz is dumb enough to stand for too long.

LP you of all ppl should know I dispise Diaz BUT skill is skill and Daley will only win if Diaz is Stubborn enough to stand and trade with Daley exessively… it’s not rocket science. As long as Nick doesn’t smoke to much Kush leading into the fight he should remember to go to the ground.

Daley standing = W
    Daley on the ground = L

Oh and LP Ricco is a LHW…. he wouldn’t have to fight the guys you mentioned above. He would be a good test for any young up and coming LHW in SF or UFC… If a gate keeper is his final role in the sport I’m sure he will accept it as long as he’s given one more shot in the big time.

• boomnutz says:

LP and I have our disagreements, but i’m with him 100% on this one, Ricco’s not that good, I could see him fighting on SF because of his name value, or i could see the UFC taking a flier on him for a card in Brazil or as a late replacement, but i think he’s got to fight a few more quality guys to make it happen

as far as Diaz and Daley go, didn’t Shields have a tough time taking down Daley??? I know he ultimately submitted him, but it was tough going for a little bit right? I think Shields has much better takedowns than Diaz, I also think his propensity to stand and bang is going to get him knocked out…

This is ironic too, because I actually really like Diaz and think he’s a top 10 WW probably just outside of the top 5, but this is a bad fight for him IMO (RECE hates him and gives him the W and think he’s great and I give him the L….hmmm)

• LiverPunch says:

The lowest he has fought at is 215 Rece. He may get to 205 though.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ricco is not a LHW. He missed weight at 215 to come in at 217. He probably still weighs around 230-235 unless he is a lazy SOB. He tried to cut to 205 a while ago and missed it by 10 pounds. I think he will fail to make the LHW limit of 205 and if he does he will be so drained that he will be beaten badly by anyone who counts.

Yes, I concede Ricco is NOT a LHW… In my mind since he’s been fighting for the last 1yr and a half at around 215 I seperate him from HW… these days with all these monsters in HW I can’t fathom a guy 215 being a HW…

• Dufresne says:

Diaz can’t KO Daley just like he couldn’t KO Lawler. Oh wait…