Area favorites account for bulk of UFC 127 event bonuses

Adding to the many reasons this past weekend was one fans in Australia will likely never forget, a trio of area fighters earned event-specific bonuses due to their performances in Sydney at UFC 127 and each walked away with a check for $75,000 as a result. News of the awards and the monetary figure were announced at a post-event press conference.

One of the country’s favorite sons, Kyle Noke, was given “Submission of the Night” after locking in a Rear-Naked Choke and tapping out Chris Camozzi a little more than a minute-and-a-half into their PPV-opener. The win was 19-4-1 Noke’s fifth in a row and third by way of a finish.

Also extremely popular in the Land Down Under, New Zealander Mark Hunt broke a six-fight losing streak in highlight-reel fashion in preliminary action and received “Knockout of the Night” for his memorable mashing of Chris Tuchscherer. Hunt, who made a name for himself on the MMA scene with a series of appearances in PRIDE, landed a scrap-sealing uppercut on Tuchscherer in the second round then casually walked away without springing on top to cement the victory based on his vast experience in separating opponents from their consciousness.

Closing out the UFC 127 bonuses, Brian Ebersole‘s promotional debut came with a bit of icing on the cake as his highly-entertaining affair with Chris Lytle was named as the event’s “Fight of the Night”. Though Ebersole is American by birth he is known to train in Sydney and has a history of competing in Australia meaning the win likely held a special place in the heart of local fans. The victory marked Ebersole’s eighth consecutive instance of in-ring success and broke up a four-fight winning streak Lytle had been riding previous to the bout.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I would have given Penn v Fitch FOTN. Maybe it was the lopsided 3rd round. Other two rounds were pretty good.

Mark Hunt..wow.

• danw84 says:

I was really impressed by Ebersole, especially his submission defense. I can’t believe he got out of a couple of those chokes. Really looking forward to seeing him again.

• LiverPunch says:

I don’t like the idea of giving such high bonuses for these things. I feel that it makes fighters fight differently. just put 3/4 of those bonuses into the purse of the fighters and have smaller bonuses.
    If I’m getting 2000 for fighting and I have a chance at making 40 times that for fight of the night , I might just let go of that choke I have and keep the fight going a bit longer because it wont matter if I lose as long as I get that 75,000, isn’t that right Leben and Akiyama. I also might talk my opponent into going for the fight of the night like 2 fighters in this event openly stated. “…lets make this fight of the night…”. With that happening it is not fixing fights but it is adjusting the way sportsman compete. Betting is affected and I can’t see it staying legal for long.
    Before you say it , no I don’t want boring cards but I do want fighters fighting to win and not to get the bonus.

• Jak says:

^^^ that is one crazy response. Not “ha-ha” crazy but just crazy.

• LiverPunch says:

If you were going to get 2000 for fighting and having a good chance at winning or get 77000 for fighting differently and having a good chance at losing what would you do?.
    If you don’t think it changes the way they fight , what do you think it is for?. It is an incentive. I think Fitch is the only 1 who isn’t swayed by the fight of the night ..or sub of the night …or KO of the night bonuses.
    Crazy like a fox Jak , crazy like a fox.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

It should be like this.
    If a fighter is getting 50,000 for fighting he should be given $12,500 for a win bonus and a further $12,500 if he finishes the fight within the time frame. So that is 25% bonuses. It doesn’t mean much for a guy getting $2,000 a fight but he should be learning the trade not getting huge money for fighting dumb and exciting. For a guy like A.Silva it means $100,000+.
    That way they fight to win and to finish. Perfect.
    You owe me one Dana. This is the last time I give you any free help on how to run the UFC. I’m sick of running the company for you. By the way I might want to call in that favor for the TUF idea I gave you.

• redwire says:

I was expecting Zhang to get Submission of the night, but otherwise the choices are pretty good.

The fighters whom were hoping to go out there and get fight of the night didn’t… so what’s your point?
    The Bonus amounts are sometimes dictated by the gate revenue as well… obviously they sold out and had a great turn out which means mega bucks… Look it’s these guys livlihood to go out there and perform in a sport that is a one man gig. If you think they are simply happy collecting a check for a bonus instead of a WIN your crazy- They look at the long term picture also…A win helps your standings, future match making and sponsorships. What sponsor wants a guy whom constantly loses to bare there logo or represent them?? If the fighter is losing and winds up on prelims or on the unaired portion his sponsorship stock value must go down no?

LP I understand where your going with your argument but I think theres a lot more to it then your taking into consideration.