UPDATE: Houston Alexander earns chance for redemption against James Irvin at Shark Fights 14

The first time Houston Alexander ran into James Irvin in a cage it was 2008 at UFC Fight Night 13 and the bout lasted less than ten seconds after Irvin landed a fight-ending Superman Punch in the opening sequence of strikes. It appears he will now have an opportunity to avenge the loss as Shark Fights has announced Alexander will face “The Sandman” as part of co-headlining action on March 11 at Shark Fights 14. The show will emanate live from the Fair Park Coliseum in Lubbock, Texas.

Alexander previously fought at Shark Fights 13 last September where he beat Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou via TKO in the second round of their match-up. It was the second win for the hard-hitting Nebraskan in as many outings and brought his overall record to 11-6. In addition to Sokoudjou the 38-year old striker holds wins over Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara.

“I am definitely looking forward to fighting under the Shark Fights banner again. (They are) a class act organization and take a lot of pride in putting the fighters and the fans first, and I have to say that Texas is home to some of the greatest MMA fans on the planet,” Alexander began when asked about the upcoming card. “At Shark Fights 13 the fans came out in full force to support the fighters and showed their love for the sport. We do what we do for the fans, so it’s always great to fight in Texas! I am more than ready for this fight. When I step into the cage with Irvin, it’s on! Fans will not be disappointed.”

The 15-8 Irvin shared Alexander’s enthusiasm about the company as well as belief the bout will end in highlight-reel fashion.

“(Shark Fights has) a great reputation within the industry and have a proven track record of putting on stellar shows. Fans can definitely expect to see more of me in the Shark Fights arena in the future. As for Houston, he better be ready, because I plan to end this fight the same way I did that last time we stepped into the cage.”

The in-ring appearance will be the first for Irvin since an illegal knee prematurely ended a January 29 fight against Mike Crisman causing things to be ruled a No Contest. Known for his aggression and night-ending stand-up, Irvin has emerged victorious in the past against the likes of Scott Smith, Terry Martin, and Luis Cane.

As initially reported by Five Ounces of Pain, Shark Fights 14 will also feature a middleweight match-up between talented grapplers Matt Horwich and Danillo Villefort in the main event. The promotion is expected to announce more bouts in the near future.

UPDATE: It was also just announced Shark Fights 14 will be shown live on HDNet as part of a newly agreed upon deal between the two companies.

PHOTO CREDIT – SHARK FIGHTS

• Jak says:

It’s a great match up.

Shark Fights has been putting some good little cards together. reminds me of watching the Playboy Mansion SF cards. The underrated but really decent MMA cards.

• Dufresne says:

I would really like to see this fight. I know there was no controversy in the first fight, but when a fight ends that quickly I’m usually left wanting more. Same thing happened in the Silva/Belfort fight. I know it wasn’t as sudden as Houston/Irvin, but I still wanted another round or so.

I’m going with Irvin winning again, probably by KO, again. Both guys hit very hard, but I would say that Irvin has the better chin and probably the better cardio as well.

Hopefully both guys show up to this fight ready to go 3 full rounds and we’re treated to a good fight.

• MickeyC says:

There are and will be alot of fighters, who still have alot to offer the sport that will be cut by the UFC just as these two were. Just because neither MAY NOT hold a title in a major organization, they can still provide exciting fights. The smaller up and coming organizations, as well asthe fans will benifit frrom this. Not to mention Dana. He can cut a guy after a few loses, send him down so to speak, if he wins a few in a smaller venue, call them right back. Its like a major leage ball club, getting to have there people prepared in a minor leage club for free.

• bigbadjohn says:

This is going to be a fun tilt. I do believe Irvin is on a 6 fight first-round stoppage streak.

Good rematch, at this stage of the game for these guys it’s a match up that could dictate which way there career continues to go

• stone says:

I know both these guys lost their spot in the UFC but, fights like this seem to be at least. “UFC prelim worthy” in my opinion… Dana talks about having a lot more events per year. Can’t do that when you keep cutting fighters off the roster. Let’s be real here. We (on 5oz) are real fans and we all want to see this fight. Period!

• Guthookd says:

Hell yes we want to see this. I agree that Irvin won the first bout without any question whatsoever, but it was so fast Houston didn’t get a chance to even throw a punch.

At the very least, I’m hoping for a 2 round affair. I know Irivin has been on a tear, but I’m hoping to see a good performance out of Houston…something that will keep him relevant…….or at least keep getting him fights. I think he’ll be hungry, far more cautious, and victorious in the end.

Houston by TKO round 2 or decision round 3.

• Guthookd says:

tear|tare … shit I can’t spell.