M-1 Global making Showtime debut next month

Broadening their coverage of live combat sports, Showtime has reached an agreement with M-1 Global to bring a series of live events to the network starting on March 25 with a card featuring a pair of title fights in addition to an appearance from Ultimate Fighter Season 8 alumnus Vinny Magalhaes. The show will emanate from the Constant Center in Norfolk Virginia and be broadcast starting at 11:00 PM EST.

According to an official press release, “M-1 Challenge: Damkovsky vs. Figueroa” will be headlined by Artiom Damkovsky attempting to defend his lightweight belt against Jose Figueroa. In another championship clash, Tyson Jeffries and Magomed Sultanakhmedov will face off in hopes of claiming the promotion’s vacant middleweight strap.

Magalhaes’ opponent has yet to be determined.

“I am extremely happy about the venture between M-1 Global and Showtime. There is no better TV network for M-1 than Showtime and no better market to seriously compete in than the U.S.,” said M-1 Global executive Vadim Finkelchtein.

Lightweights Alexander Sarnavskiy and Josh Bacallao will also square off in main card action.

“Our ability to televise quality boxing and MMA fights at the highest level has been aided tremendously by our commitment to showcasing prospects and lesser known international stars on our feeder series like “ShoBox: The New Generation” and Strikeforce Challengers,” explained Ken Hershman, Executive VP and GM of Showtime Sports, on the network’s decision to further invest in MMA. “M-1 Challenge events fit perfectly into that mold and will enhance our Mixed Martial Arts offerings even further.”

The only reason M-1 got this opportunity was because of all the exposure and influence they got through co promoting with SF, which ofcoarse is fine but in the end It’s sad that instead of building there own brand SF has helped finance M-1’s growth and expansion… Coker the least they could have done was give you the opportunity to co promote and get some of your roster in the cage… But I guess in Russia one hand doesn’t wash the other…Coker needs to grow a set a balls.

I’m not complaining about the free mma I’m complaining about the #2 promotion doing dick to expand itself and letting the parasites that cling on to it succeed instead.

• goodguy_878 says:

Is it just me or does everyone here shiver and cringe when they hear the words ‘M-1’? I react like a jackyl hearing someone say Mufasa. *shivers*

• Guthookd says:

Agreed Rece. Seems like a rough deal for SF, but I guess they cash they made off of Fedor was worth it, at least at the time. Afterall, SF does still exist.

On another note…..I support M-1’s Shotime cards because they are going to advertising route instead of trying the PPV route.

Another thing though…..”There is no better TV network for M-1 than Showtime” – Vadim

He must not be aware of HDnet, because that is the best TV Network for MMA, period. I think HDnet should have all Tachi Fights, Matrix Fights, Shark Fights, Challengers Cards, M-1 Cards, UFC prelims, UFC on TV shows, and TUF.

• fanoftna33 says:

Guthooked, I agree that hd net is THE best network for mma out there, they have the voice, Bas, Trigg, and Guy Mezger doing commentating and all are very good. They had a GREAT prelim show for SF on the other weekend and knocked it out of the park.
    Showtime on the other hand has a soild team with Mauro and Pat if they could just get the voice I would tune in to listen to them talk golf, mma with thoes three would be great– even M-1.

• Guthookd says:

That’s funny actually, that you like The Voice because I almost mentioned him as the one thing I didn’t like about HDNet. To each hisown I suppose, but I’d take Mauro, Pat and Bas over Mauro, Pat and Voice. Mezger is cool though, and actually so was Sefo (was it the last Sengoku? Can’t remember).

Isn’t it funny how the commentators have an affect on a viewers opinion of a promotion even though we’re really watching it just to see the fights. Interesting.

• fanoftna33 says:

Guthooked I forgot all about Sefo, he was pretty good, a lot of energy for a commentator. You could feel that smile of his in his words.

• Guthookd says:

Yeah, too bad his next MMA fight didn’t go as well as his trip to the commentating booth huh. I felt bad when Valentijne used a straight school yard bully style neck crank to tap him. Poor fucker needs some jits if he’s going to be taking MMA fights.