Strikeforce possibly planning April 9 event minus Grand Prix pairings

With Antonio Silva and Sergei Kharitonov having already cemented slots in the semi-final round of the Strikeforce World Heavyweight Grand Prix the public’s attention has turned to the remaining quartet of competitors still seeking to take a step closer to emerging tournament champ. While the “who” of the fearsome foursome has long been established it now appears the day and location attached to their respective match-ups are likely to change, as word has now surfaced Strikeforce is planning an event for April 9 but in California and featuring promotional champions Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz rather than Fabricio Werdum fighting Overeem and Josh Barnett’s brouhaha with Brett Rogers. Recently it had been rumored the second round of the Grand Prix could take place in Japan on the same date.

According to a report on Sherdog it looks as though 155-pound king Melendez may face Japanese slugger Tatsuya Kawajiri while Diaz’s opponent has yet to be determined.

A catchweight clash with rival Jason “Mayhem” Miller was not mentioned to be in the works for Diaz but rather a title-defense with the two names offered as potential opposition by the outspoken welterweight’s trainer, Cesar Gracie, being Tyron Woodley and Paul Daley. Daley is currently scheduled to fight Yuya Shirai on Saturday night for British organization BAMMA and would have to emerge victorious in order to maintain his status as a possible contender.

Let the Tsunami of Negativity begin….

“Recently it had been rumored the second round of the Grand Prix could take place in Japan on the same date.”- 5oz….

hmmm is there any possiblity given the time restrictions that SF could have a Live card and segway into the taped HW Gran Prix fights if they infact do take place in Japan?? Is that possible? Could be a saving grace…? And would the fights take place in a ring or a cage if they were in Japan?

On another note…
    Is it more than a coincidence that Barrnett has all these issues with the California State Athletic Commission and him not being licensed in that state, thus causing him not being able to be on the card?? SF should have never dealt with this guy if that is the case.

SF has a good thing going and the last few months/ weeks have been on the upside for SF I hope they continue the trend and can have an answer for any bumps they may hit in the road but my gut feeling is that my expectations for SF where far to high and I should have come to expect turmoil at one end of the tourney or the other…. so disapointing.

• danw84 says:

I like that idea Rece, it would be kinda cool. I’m gonna guess they don’t do that, but it would be sweet if they did.

I don’t fully understand the Barnett problem. He isn’t suspended right now, is he? Other guys have popped and they are fighting now, and Barnett popped over a year and a half ago. I dunno, I guess I don’t fully understand how the athletic commission works.

• fanoftna33 says:

Barnett still has to appear befor the CSAC and get his formal hearing over with. He is able to be liscensed in other states/ countries though ( like Bigfoot Silva who got suspended for drugs and fought in Japan until his suspension was up). As soon as Josh appears befor the CSAC and takes care of the issue he should be clear.

• Kuch says:

Does it seem suspicious to anyone else that the next Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix bouts still lack a venue? Or that Scott Coker has mentioned they could happen in Japan where the fighters wouldn’t be subjected to drug testing? Seems pretty convenient considering one participant is a known steroid abuser and another has a rather questionable physique.

I think alot of fans/ media are assuming the same things… true or not the negativity shall flow on this one.

• Guthookd says:

I’m cool with it. They have to find a spot where Josh and Reem can fight without being tested; that kind of shit takes time gentlemen. Work it out slow and steady Coker, and don’t let any athletic commission cups get near your fighter’s cocks.

On topic, I’d love to see Diaz put a beating on Daley.

That’s the Other problem is the fact that 2 championship fights are not really that enticing… You got Melendez fighting crusher whom he fought a while back and beat although it was a few years ago I’m sure the outcome isn’t going to be that different I guess we can hope for a finish?
    And you got Diaz fighting either Daley on a months rest or Woodley whose biggest test will be a crack at the champ… I’m sure they may prove to be somewhat entertaining for Diaz fans but what do these fights prove otherwise?

I’m not hating I think SF is on a roll but sometimes they can’t get out of there own way…

• TerribleT says:

The Grand Prix Championship is already staged so the Kharitonovv/Silva winner will be waiting around for at least 2 months longer than the other semifinal winner and if the remaining (2) 1st round fights end up being moved back they’ll be waiting even longer than originally anticipated. This could turn into an advantage for one or the other bcuz on one hand somebody could be fighting twice in a matter of a couple months and/or the other fighting after a very long layoff.

• LiverPunch says:

I am interested in both title fights but would prefer Diaz vs Daley to Diaz vs Woodley. I would actually rather see those fights than Diaz vs Mayhem. The GP is going to be held in Japan. I would say they are waiting for the Saitama Super Arena. They have a plan.

Stand Back Nay sayers LiverPunch say They have a plan…… :)

• Guthookd says:

Fucking LiverPunch.

• boomnutz says:

i know right, he sucks on SF balls!!

SF sucks, this doesn’t surprise me one bit…inconsistent, it’s what I always say