Preliminary action returning to Facebook, Ion for UFC 127

In their neverending quest to deliver MMA enthusiasts with free content the UFC will once again offer a pair of preliminary bouts by way of their official Facebook page plus two undercard tangles on the ION Network. Both mediums have been utilized in the past to provide fans with additional action on top of the allotted PPV portion of related events.

Specifically set for streaming through the popular social network this weekend is a match-up featuring Anthony Perosh’s attempt to entertain his fellow Australians against M-1 Challenge veteran Tom Blackledge as well 20-1 Jason Reinhardt taking on Chinese grappler Tie Quan Zhang.

Comparably, ION will show 205-pounders Alexander Gustafsson and James Te Huna throwing down in addition to TUF 9 champ Ross Pearson‘s return to the ring losing via submission to Cole Miller at Fight Night 22 when he faces long-time UFC lightweight Spencer Fisher.

The Facebook fights will be available to watch starting at 8:00 PM EST with the ION broadcast taking place an hour later.

UFC 127 is highlighted by perennial welterweight contender Jon Fitch once again hoping to cement an opportunity to fight for promotional gold with former double-divisional champion B.J. Penn standing in his way. On top of the headlining collision of contenders the card will also feature Ultimate Fighter Season 3 winner Michael Bisping taking on veteran striker Jorge Rivera as well as 14-2 submission specialist George Sotiropoulos mixing it up with German kickboxer Dennis Siver.

…plus two undercard tangles on the ION Network.

That means I’m still NOT creating a Facebook account. Although I must admit it’s tempting.

• boomnutz says:

don’t do it Rece!!

• fanoftna33 says:

Very happy to see Pearson vs Fischer, that could be a very exciting fight.

• danw84 says:

I’ve never understood why people have some sort of sense of pride for not making a Facebook account. Man, it sure does suck to easily be able to keep in touch with people over long distances. Also sucks to be able to watch free UFC fights lately.

Man, Facebook is the worst.

When you got a lot of ex friends, ex girlfriends, ex aquiantences facebook is nothing but Drama and a great resource for all these ex’s to convienantly run into you and see what you been up to even if you don’t want them to… I enjoy my privacy and I enjoy communicating with friends that I actually want to talk to… Don’t need ppl i would not acknowledge in public trying to friend me or ask me what i been up 2?…. it’s like going to a local bar and seeing ppl from HS or college and ” catching up” like you really want to talk to half these mutants from 10 years ago… I got my own shit going on I don’t need to hear there shit… Yeah I’m a dick.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Why not just create a Facebook account specifically for watching the UFC stream rather than making a legitimate one with your actual personal information on it?

• JOEgun says:

haha! i agree with you Rece. you made some good points.

BUT i have a facebook (mostly to follow news feeds) and im gonna be watching free fights. so HA!

True, True Brendhan… I started out creating a Twitter account strictly to follow MMA news and updates on fighters status BUT like all these social forums they get a bit addicitve and now I find myself following other ppls/ celebs tweets… it’s like Heroine you can’t just dabble in this stuff, your balls deep before you know it. :)

• fanoftna33 says:

Rece I did the exact same thing with twitter, it really gets you hooked.

• hindsightufuk says:

fuck friends

• bigbadjohn says:

non Facebook pride! How do I keep in touch with my friends? They call me or just stop by. How do I keep in contact with all the other people I’ve come across in life? I don’t. Isn’t that like sooooooo weird? wait. 5 years ago it wasn’t. Why must I know details to everyone’s lives who I don’t keep in constant contact with already (ie. friends, family)? Cuz it’s hip? I’m sure its addictive but I don’t need the gossip, the drama to live happy. And I don’t go around thinking I’m special for not having an account. Those people are misrepresenting my demographic.

• Guthookd says:

No Facebook for me either; I’ve never made an account, basically for all the resons Rece mentioned. Brenco makes a good point though, so I’ll have to consider it just for UFC prelim fights, even though I do feel like that is giving in to their marketing push, which I’d like to resist. Shit, I don’t know.

I do have ION though!!! FTW! Fisher and Pearson is a good match.

• adamsfamily says:

I had an idea for a site called “do fuck all at work but check every 5 minutes to see how all your ex’es are looking now you are sad and lonely” but it just didnt flow.
    I changed it to Faceberk, but turns out there was one already.

I admire the UFC for their marketing prowess, but hate it all at the same time. Just seems so desperate to want to see anything on a 3″screen in your hand with shit all sound.

It bugs me how often I check the news on this site to see what might have happened in the last fucking hour.

• Angry Mike says:

I don’t like the idea of fights on Facebook because it’s just one more set of hoops I have to jump through to watch fights. There’s a reason God invented television, and I’m pretty sure it was for MMA.

• MCM says:

My mother in law loves facebook. That’s how she keeps in touch with high school friends she hasn’t seen in 50+ years. In fact, the largest growing segment of facebook users is senior citizens.
    Way to hit that 18-34 demographic Dana. :)

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Just so everyone knows, the UFC’s streams are typically incredible in terms of clarity/speed. No lag, no pixelization. It may be another hoop to jump through but certainly not a flaming one. :) 2-3 minutes of effort for a free, continuous opportunity to watch UFC prelims seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Hey Brendhan you can’t tell by now we just want to bitch and moan about something or anything.