Phil Davis replaces Tito Ortiz at UFC Fight Night 24

It looks like Tito Ortiz will have to wait a little longer to prove himself one final time in the octagon. Ortiz has been forced to pull out of his UFC Fight Night 24 fight against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira after suffering an accidental head butt while training that required 22 stitches. An MRI showed no serious damage to Ortiz but the wound was severe enough to keep him out of action on March 26. Phil Davis has been tabbed as the replacement against Nogueira and the fight will still serve as the nights main event.

Dana White made the announcement earlier today.

Davis has seen his opponent switch three times in the past couple of weeks, originally schedeled to fight Matt Hamill at UFC 129 before Hamill was moved to UFC 130 to fight Quinton Jackson. Jason Brilz, replacing Hamill, was Davis’ next opponent before Davis was moved to replace Ortiz against Nogueira. Davis, 8-0, looks to remain unbeaten in MMA while Nogueira, 19-4, is looking to bounce back from a decision loss to Ryan Bader.

UFC Fight Night 24 is scheduled for March 26 at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington. Along with the Davis vs. Nogueira main event, a welterweight showdown between KO artists Anthony Johnson and Dan Hardy will serve as the co-main event. The event will air live on SpikeTV.

• Dufresne says:

He gets a cut a month before the fight and that causes him to pull out, but having a “fractured skull” didn’t cause him to pull out of his rematch with Forrest? I’m calling shenanigans.

• LiverPunch says:

I’m not calling shenanigans Dufresne, I’m calling the police. I think he just attacked Jenna again. 😉

Seriously though , Tito is not only going down hill and fast but he is dragging what ever legacy he had with him. He always has an excuse. Boo this man.

• LiverPunch says:

I got so caught up in hating “the Huntington Beach Bad (excuse) Boy” that I forgot to say that Phill Davis against Nog is great. This is going to be a big test of Phill’s ability. Nog is a good boxer and a brilliant submission guy. Phill will be up against it where ever the fight goes.

• MCM says:

I too am sick of Tito’s excuses, but his one is legit. I think Tito would still fight but 22 stitches a little over a month out, won’t pass the athletic commission. I still think Tito had a chance in this one, but I won’t be surprised if Dana says he’s had enough and cuts him.

• LiverPunch says:

I want to see the cut.
    I don’t trust a guy who comes up with that many excuses.
    How many times have we heard this guy blame an injury. Even if he wins he mentions something.

• I will happily boo this man. The Huntington Beach excuse maker should be released after this one.
    I like this fight but it still troubles me for Nog. If Brilz could hold him down and control him most of the night, what’s Mr. Wonderful gonna do? I hope Rogerio comes out throwin bombs rather than waiting for the spot that never comes, like he did against Bader.

• TerribleT says:

When was Tito’s last legitimate win anyway? Not counting his 2 wins vs. Ken Shamrock in 2006 or his split decision win over a young Forrest Griffin that many thought he lost or was at least a draw. Was it at UFC 51 vs.Vitor Belfort? Another split decision that many thought he also lost. Or was it at UFC 50 vs. UFC newcomer and short notice fill in Patrick Cote? Cote,a middleweight (185 lbs.)fought this fight in the light heavyweight division but was still able to drop Tito despite being noticeably smaller B4 finally losing a tough hard fought 3 rd.decision. Is this Tito’s last legit win? I doubt he’s hanging his hat on this one. This then takes us all the way back to UFC 40 when the Huntington Beach Bad Boy brutally pummeled and savagely beat down an overmatched Ken “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” Shamrock. which was way back in 2002. Shamrock was a worthy opponent in this their 1st meeting so sadly this was and will always be Tito’s last significant victory in the UFC . . . . . . . .

• TerribleT says:

Tito Ortiz’s MMA record for anybody that wants to see it

• LiverPunch says:

His last win was over Jenna. I think Tito is lucky that it was stopped and it didn’t go to the judges , otherwise I think Jenna may have come away with the win and Tito would have been dropped. I think Jenna felt sorry for him because if she wanted to she could have put him away … for a few months.

• stone says:

Tito’s striking sucks, his wrestling sucks & his submission game sucks…. Why is he in the UFC???

This is a better fight any how…

Look Tito is a douche BUT if it was your last chance in the UFC wouldn’t you want to be 100%?? Yes I know Tito is a walking contradiction and is constantly finding excuses in the octagon but if I was him and it was my last shot I would want to be at my best…and like it was said above I’m sure with a gash that took 22 stitches the athletic commission wouldn’t let it fly any how…

• MickeyC says:

Lets face it, Titos days in the UFC are numbered. And with the wa he kinda skipped out on Elite XC, who knows if SF will even touch him. As far as this fight goes, I’m gona go with Davis.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Damn, I knew he was over rated but seeing it all spelled out like that was kinda startling. I can’t believe he is still in the UFC, even before this.

I think You guys forget Dana used to manage Tito so the love hate relation goes deeper then what’s on the surface… Tito is still in the UFC because of DW and will only be cut by DW.

• hindsightufuk says:

people say mma wouldnt be where it is if it weren’t for Zuffa/Dana White taking the UFC in the right direction, but the UFC may not be where it is if Tito hadnt carried it and kept it alive for years.

i have very little time for these people who look up a fighters records and pass judgement based on words and numbers on the page; tito’s win over forest wasnt legit because some poeple thought forrest took it? so forrests win over rampage isnt legit? and his win over shogun isnt legit because it wasnt the ‘real’ shogun? forrest wins over bonner twice? some poeple thought stephan won them. ramirez, sinosic, mahood? nobodies. guess that takes us back to the triangle over chael sonnen? but chael hadnt fought anyone at that point? so forrest has actually never had a legit win. titos win over vitor wasnt legit because some poeple thought vitor took it? so when was vitors last meaningful win? the lucky punch over franklin? franklin just lost a decision to forrest that some people thought he won, so maybe they should count each other out? win over an over the hill linland? martin, zikic, serati, takahashi, rea, eastman? all nobodies. over randy? dodgy cut.
    Herring & Yvel werent exactly dominant decisions. southworth? nobody. so that takes us back to wanderlei in 1998, thats 13 years ago. i guess vitor sucks shit?

see how much bollocks one can talk when reading from a page instead of actually being there and watching these fights as they happen?

not a tito fan by the way, just get fucked off the narrow mindedness of some ‘fans’

• bigbadjohn says:

don’t like the guy one bit. But Dana has an allegiance to him for what Tito has accomplished in the darker days of the UFC. He’ll get his last kick at the can and probably get overwhelmed. Dana will then have his shot, when Ortiz’s stock is at its lowest point, to chop him. Fans will mostly rejoice, and ding-dong the witch is dead. The one thing I’ll most be happy for is not having his big head take up main and co-main event spots anymore.

• Dufresne says:

hindsightufuk +1

It is way too easy to degrade a guy’s record with “what ifs” and “but his opponent…” when in reality that’s just how the fight game goes. No fighter ever comes into a fight at 100%, no decision is too obvious or one sided for a judge to screw up, and I’d be willing to bet that not one of us commenting on the results would have been able to win a single one of the fights against the “illegitimate” opponents.

Let’s not forget that Tito fought Rashad to an unanimous draw, and it would have been a unanimous decision in Tito’s favor if he hadn’t been docked one point for holding the cage in the 2nd.

I personally put Tito about 3rd on my list titled “Fighters I Want to See Smashed,” but even I have to admit that he did have a hell of a run and he did help make MMA more personable.

My main knock on Tito has nothing to do with his opponents and everything to do with excuses. I can’t stand when anyone, in any field has to blame a poor performance on something other than the fact that they just didn’t get it done. If I dump customers on a rock and then try and tell my boss that it was because I hurt my shoulder earlier, guess what, I’m still getting chewed out. If I’m not in the physical condition where I feel comfortable taking a trip, I shouldn’t be taking it. Same thing here.
    And yes I know Tito fights to pay the bills so missing a fight hurts the wallet. But guess what, I guide to pay the bills so if I miss trips due to injury I risk missing meals too. That’s the way the world works.

• edub says:

hindsight your still killin it homey.

I actually thought Tito would pull the upset in this fight. Not sure about Phil though. He passes a lot and when he does he overexposes himself. That could come back to haunt him against Nog.

• hindsightufuk says:

hey edub, been a while man where you been?

• Sup Edub! where you been lurkin?

• TerribleT says:

@hindsightufuk,then his last big win was vs.Forrest in 2006,I guess since this was only 5 yrs ago that everything I said is bullshit,then u go right ahead and put your hard earned ca$h on Tito his next fight and find out the hard way. . . . .he’s washed up

• stone says:

I’m not tryin to be a Tito basher & I never bring up his record or say anything about the quality of his opponents. I used to be a Tito fan not long ago. After that 2nd fight with Forrest I was just amazed with the lame excuses at the end of the fight. He beat Rashad & Machida (imo), I’ll give him that. Machida did a lil too much godamn back pedaling to call it a win. Looks like the judges finally put an end to that crap. They didn’t let Machida’s backing up win the fight against Rampage (thanks). But the bottom line is Tito is slow, his footwork/ring movement sucks, he doesn’t hit hard enough for anyone to respect his power, his takedowns don’t work like they used to, his so called “2nd to none cardio” never makes an octagon appearence and he never submits anybody. On top of everything he’s scared to get hit in the face! He just doesn’t belong fighting in the UFC anymore. Back to the Machida thing. Machida is a better fighter than Tito anyday. Machida could have turned up the intensity and won that fight by a KO. Seems like he respected Tito a little too much and seemed way to gun shy. But anyways, they should let Bader beat up Tito and cut’em afterwards, str8 up!

• LiverPunch says:

Look I have to pipe up here. I don’t usually disagree with hindsight but here goes.
    Do you guys know who stopped the last UFC owner from getting the UFC sanctioned in Navada?.
    What happened was that the last owner of the UFC was told he needed to get the UFC sanctioned in order for it to be viable to be put back on PPV. He did that in 1 or 2 states but the TV company came back and said get it sanctioned in Navada and we have ourselves a deal. He went to Navada to plead his case to the board. It seemed he was going to get it passed because he had the numbers … but, at the last minute a board member changed his mind and decided not to sanction MMA in Navada. Do you know who that member was? None other than Lorenzo Frititta. The Frititta’s stopped it from being sanctioned in Navada. 100% fact. 1 year later the when the UFC was going belly up the previous owner got a call from Dana White saying he had somebody that wanted to buy the UFC and he would never guess who. He had 1 guess and said “Lorenzo Frititta”. He was right.
    So next time you start giving ZUFFA and Dana White credit for getting the UFC sanctioned or getting the UFC going in the right direction remember that all they did was screw the previous owner over in order to take over the company. Needless to say MMA was sanctioned in Navada when the Frititta’s applied. Funny that.
    The UFC had already had over 30 events , it had been to Japan and Brazil. Pride had been going for 4 years , Shooto , Rings and other major MMA organizations were taking off all over the world. All the ZUFFA mob did was stop it getting it sanctioned so what the previous owner had was worthless and then bought it at a rock bottom price.
    Look into it.

• LiverPunch says:

MMA was sanctioned in New Jersey and was on it’s way to being sanctioned in California before the ZUFFA purchase. The IFC held the first sanctioned MMA event in Atlantic city and had most of the unified MMA rules in place such as:
    No Head butts.
    No knees to a grounded opponent.
    No 12 to 6 elbows.
    etc.
    ZUFFA joined the IFC in trying to get it sanctioned elsewhere later.
    I’ve been a bit harsh and have drawn a few of my own conclusions as to why things happened but they did happen and Dana White and co were not the first at all and in reality some of the ZUFFA people slowed down MMA’s sanctioning or even helped halt it for a while. Why? perhaps they didn’t like it at first and then changed their minds. Who knows , but what I do know is one of the guys that said no to MMA in Navada went on to buy the UFC for 2 million dollars when it was going broke 1 year later.

• hindsightufuk says:

damn good posts LiverPunch, certainly something i’m gonna look more into.

also the IFC is as important in MMA’s short history as the UFC i believe, not as well known obviuosly but for people who missed out on their early events from 96 up to around 2003 with Global Domination (one of the best one night tournements to date), go watch them.

• TerribleT says:

IFC Global Domination . . . . .I appreciate the info “hindsight’ “.I’m impressed with your knowledge of early MMA events. I’ve been looking back over the history of the IFC throughout the day and I certainly found out a ton of information about MMA that I maybe never would have known about if not for your post. Thanks