Ben Askren returns to Bellator ring on April 9 against Nick Thompson

Undefeated welterweight champion Ben Askren will see action for the first time since capturing Bellator gold at Bellator 40 against a veteran with 7X his experience in the form of 38-13-1 Nick Thompson. Askren’s title will not be on the line come April 9 when the two clash at the First Council Casino in Newkirk, Oklahoma meaning the match-up will feature three rounds rather than five.

“I come to fight every single time. Whether you’re good or you’re bad, I still want to smash you, and it’s going to be the same thing when I fight Thompson,” the 2008 Olympic wrestler explained while shrugging off the significant difference in ring-time between the two. “It doesn’t matter what his record is, I’m looking to kick his ass.”

Though Thompson has lost his last three fights he should still pose perhaps the biggest test the 7-0 Askren has faced thus far. Adding to his experience advantage “The Goat” has also faced a number of top opponents throughout his career and has notched victories over the likes of Paul Daley, Josh Neer, and Eddie Alvarez.

“I think the biggest advantage for me in this fight with Ben is the fact that I’ve fought more than fifty fights,” said Thompson. “I’ve fought in every organization, I’ve fought against the best fighters in the world, and I’ve been ranked in the top ten. Ben hasn’t been there. I plan on hitting him like he’s never been hit before and I’m excited to find out how he’s going to react.”

Bellator 40 will air live on MTV along with the other slew of events scheduled to take place over Season 4 starting on March 5 with Bellator 35.

PHOTO CREDIT – BELLATOR

• cutman says:

the Funk vs the Goat all Wisconsin fight here guys, Bellator is not protecting the champs at all they are finding good fighters for the Champs to fight, I love a org. that gives the fans a good match up even if it could cost them……

• Angry Mike says:

Thompson is a more evolved striker than Askren, but that won’t be enough for Thompson. Askren manhandled Dan Hornbuckle, and Hornbuckle ko’d Thompson in 2009 in Sengoku. Thompson has a puncher’s chance, but probably winds up on his back eating Askren’s gnp.

• joe mo mma says:

ben askren is one ugly dude.. but he sure can wrestle..

• LiverPunch says:

Non-title?. Bellator has a lot of fights that dont cotnt.

It counts on there professional record doesn’t it?

• LiverPunch says:

“It counts on there professional record doesn’t it?”

Are you sure Rece?. Nothing would surprise me in Bellator. This will be at least the 6th fight in Bellator where they have refused to put the belt on the line. I know you love Bellator and wont tolerate people attacking your home boys but if SF did that … I can just imagine what you guys would say if Diaz had fought 2 WWs and had not put his belt up. They even went to the extreme of making the first “non-title fights catch weight when they were in the same weight class anyway.
    Grow some nuts and hook into your home boys for not having the balls to put their precious belts on the line. You can’t keep saying “sorry but you can’t be our champ”. Lombard has had 2 non-title fights , Alvarez has had 2 , Askren is having his first , Soto had 1. I don’t care what you say , that is fucked up.

• LiverPunch says:

Just read their bantam weight is having a non-title fight too. What a fucking joke.
    What is a champion? I think Bellator is redefining the word.

A champion (identical to the French, from the late Latin campio) is the victor in a challenge, contest or competition.
    -Wiki.

I think Wiki might have to change that to …

A champion (identical to the French, from the late Latin campio) is the victor in a challenge, contest or competition unless it is in Bellator.

What do you reckon Rece?.

“…Are you sure Rece?. Nothing would surprise me in Bellator…” – LP

LP are you sure you want to go down this road? Nothing in Bellator would surprise you??? It’s no secret you are an avid supporter of SF and although for all of about 3 months they have some idea of what they are doing your going to have the balls to insinuate Bellator is some trainwreck?
    SF has “champs” that fight competitors whom are undeserving or are the only option at the tiem regardless of record or their last perfomance. SF had a champ that didn’t fight for almost 2 years becasue there was no compitition… REALLY? Your going to start defining what a champion is? Nick Diaz has no one to fight… Gilbert Melendez has no one to fight…

LP how could you think a professional fight doesn’t count? Whats wrong with you?

The fucking straps are on the line when theres a winner of the tourney… If you don’t know about how something works then read about it… it takes 30 secs to google something.

LP how about Bjorn Rebney CEO of BFC has called out SF champs to fight his champs multiple times and Scott Coker has never once responded positively about making it happen!!! So before you open your mouth THINK a lil bit…. Scott Coker must have no faith in his champions. Perhaps Coker just doesn’t want to expose his champs against a smaller promotions champs.

If your going on wikipedia for definitions perhaps you should look up the topics your talking about aswell….

Theres a fine line between being a shit stirer and a TROLL.

• Guthookd says:

OK, I have to say that I also believe that the “non-title fights” are fucking straight up bull shit!!! I hate the idea.

Bjorn’s whole thing is that to get a shot at the title a guy has to win a tourney, which basically puts him on a 3 fight streak in BFC. While I understand, to some extent, his reasoning, I still disagree with the practice.

Every time a champ fights in his weight class it should be a title on the line. If The Goat beats askren then he should be the champ and whoever wins the WW tourney should face The Goat…plain and simple.

So far Bjorn has gotten away with that shitty idea, but one of these days the champ is going to loose and then the belt is just a piece of metal with no meaning.

I say all this from the perspective of a person who fully supports BFC and hopes that they continue to be successful.

If BFC didn’t call them champs of their weight class but instead were tourney winners defending there tourney championship against the next tourney winner would the idea or concept make more sense?

• MCM says:

yes it would Rece. But BFC doesn’t do that, they call them the WW or LW or LHW champ, and it’s a bad policy. For a company that is run on tournaments, it would make more sense for them to simply hold tournament titles. I think I’ll write to BFC and tell them that.

Then let’s start an online petition and straighten this shit out… 😉