Dave Herman inks deal with UFC, expects summer debut

It appears the UFC has injected a bit of new life into their heavyweight division with the addition of Dave “Pee Wee” Herman, a 6’5” veteran of SRC and Bellator who has finished nineteen of the twenty total opponents he’s beaten. However, fans will have to wait a bit for his unveiling in the Octagon as Herman isn’t expected to fight until UFC 131 as part of a card featuring a headlining bout between TUF 13 coaches Brock Lesnar and Junior dos Santos.

News of Herman’s signing was reported by MMAWeekly where it was also mentioned the 26-year old’s opponent at the June event is believed to be Brit Rob Broughton.

Broughton is currently riding a five-fight win streak including a third round submission of Vinicius Kappke de Queiroz in his promotional debut at UFC 120 this past October. The Wolfslair product holds an overall record of 15-5-1 including seven TKOs and five submissions.

Comparably, Herman is 20-2 and has beaten five of the last six adversaries he’s faced with the lone exception being a disqualification loss to Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou resulting from an illegal knee. He holds past victories over Don Frye and Ron Waterman in his career and is coming off scorecard-based success against Yoshishiro “Kiss” Nakao on December 30 at “SRC – Soul of Fight”.

PHOTO CREDIT – SHOWTIME

• MCM says:

Awesome!
    Pee-Wee is the best HW prospect not currently fighting for a major promotion. Can’t wait to see him take on Rob “It’s already been” Broughton. I think Herman wins it and gets fast tracked to the top. I could easily see him in there with guys like Kongo, Mir, and Nelson in his next fight and then gets put into title contention.

or he gets smashed and cut faster than Mckee. Either way, I’m excited.

• Dufresne says:

Great signing. I didn’t even know he wasn’t fighting for a major promotion as I figured a guy with his record and talent would have been snapped up a while ago.

Can’t wait to see him in the Octagon in a few months.

• MCM says:

Duf-
    He had some legal issues with Bellator that kept him overseas for awhile.
    I’ve also heard rumors that he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed which may be part of the reason he hasn’t gone as far in his career as his abilities should let him.

• Rich S. says:

Awesome! I’m not sure how he’ll fair against the UFC’s Heavyweights, but Herman is incredibly talented. Such surprising agility and speed for a Heavyweight.

• boomnutz says:

was this the dude that had a lawsuit against Bellator because they were screwing with him? I remember reading about it, just don’t remember which fighter it was

• fanoftna33 says:

It looks like the ufc is on a signing spree right now with Herman and Santiago. Great for both of these guys and even better for us fans. Good luck to them.

• Now that’s what Im talkin bout! What a great prospect to be signed…UFC needs to continue to bolster their HW division…a couple more young up n comers and they’ll be stacked for years.

I say him and Struve after Struve wins his next fight…I swear that young giant will wear gold before he retires.

Is SRC going out of biz?

• Guthookd says:

I hope not Rece. I like SRC events. This last one was fucking straight up epic in length alone, not to mention some awesome fights and finishes.

One important aspect of Dave Herman that you guys are all forgetting is that the dude is FUNNY AS HELL in every interview. I can’t wait to hear his ass spilling comedy on the mic after a win….Rogan will be cracking up.

Good stuff.

• Jstew3785 says:

Doesn’t Shane Carwin need an opponent…?