Fedor Emelianenko comes in more than 30 pounds lighter than Antonio Silva for Grand Prix pairing

The world is a little less than a day away from seeing the opening round of most significant heavyweight tournament in Mixed Martial Arts history and Five Ounces of Pain will be here to ride the roller-coaster with readers throughout. The festivities began today in New Jersey as headliners Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Silva stepped on the scale along their promotional peers and weighed in for tomorrow night’s event.

All of the show’s main card fighters made weight meaning the event will go on as originally scheduled. Incredibly, Emelianenko (230) weighed in nearly 35 pounds lighter than “Bigfoot” who clocked in at 264. Comparably, fellow Grand Prix participant Andre Arlovski (242) only gave up eight pounds to quarterfinal opponent Sergei Kharitonov who was 250 lbs. on the dot

Five Ounces is on the ground in East Rutherford for the event and will provide exclusive, live coverage from the arena courtesy of Jeremy Lambert, Saturday starting around 7:00 PM EST.

Here is a complete listing of “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva” weigh-in results as revealed thus far:

Don Carlo-Clauss (170.5 lbs) vs. Sam Oropeza (169.75 lbs)
Jason McLean (145.5 lbs) vs. Kevin Roddy (145.75 lbs)
Anthony Leone (146.25 lbs)* vs. Josh LaBerge (145.75 lbs)
Igor Gracie (170.75 lbs) vs. John Salgado (170 lbs)
Marc Stevens (156.5 lbs)** vs. John Cholish (155.75 lbs)
Valentijn Overeem (239 lbs) vs. Ray Sefo (249 lbs)
Gian Villante (229 lbs) vs. Chad Griggs (227 lbs)
Shane del Rosario (248 lbs) vs. Lavar Johnson (243 lbs)
Andrei Arlovski (242 lbs) vs. Sergei Kharitonov (250 lbs)
Fedor Emelianenko (230 lbs) vs. Antonio Silva (264 lbs)

* – Has been given an hour to drop the remaining 0.25 pounds in order to make the featherweight limit
** – Cholish agreed to accept the fight with Stevens regardless of Stevens being a half-pound over the lightweight limit

• Guthookd says:

Thank you god for blessing me with HDnet and Showtime. Amen.

• danw84 says:

I gave you thumbs down because I don’t get either.

Go to hell!!!

• danw84 says:

I’m sorry for that. But really I hate you and everyone else who has access to those channels.

• bigbadjohn says:

I got a great gig going. I call my provider the day before any event and order the Showtime package, watch it and cancel the package the next day. Done it a few times now, costs a buck or something. Anyone else think being only 220lbs could cause problems for Fedor, I realize he’s never been over 240 probably but he will be one of the lightest fighters in the tournament.. who am I kidding, he’ll probably hip-toss them around in ordinary fashion.

• Bein a smaller HW never seemed to bother the last emperor before.

• danw84 says:

I have no way to get Showtime since I’m in Canada, and I just switched my cable provider so now I don’t get HDNet either… It sucks.

I mean, I’ll still be watching the fights, but I wouldn’t mind the convenience.

• LiverPunch says:

It’s going to be a great event. Fedor has his hands very full with Bigfoot and the Andre vs Kharitonov and Lavar vs Del Rosario fights should be a great.
    I’m hoping Sefo destroys Overeem but I can’t see it happening. God bless the internet because it doesn’t matter if you can’t get HDnet because THE net gets everything.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I don’t know that Fedor has faced a guy that was 260+ that had the skill that Silva does. I’m still picking Fedor though. Just because he is much faster.
    I did read somewhere that Fedor is going to drop to 205 and fight the winner of GSP vs Anderson Silva though so I guess it makes sense.

• MickeyC says:

it’s true Fedor has fought guys much larger in the past, But fghters in general now come with a better skill set than they did in the past.. Not to mention fedor has aged a bit. Not that fighters are not still competitive as they get older, it’s foolish to think that they do not loose a bit of zip as the get older.

• BigDave says:

There is a reason both fedor and overeem are on the same side of the bracket and that is they dont think that one of the two are going to make it to the final. They really need Fedor and Overeem to win for this tourney to be a success and lets face it they need it to save there company. If there two only draws at HW and pretty much only draws there company have dont meet each other in the second round of this joke of a tourney them Strikefarce will be a non factor in the HW MMA landscape. I for one am hoping that Fedor gets KTFO tonight so for 1 people will stop saying he is a top 5 HW and because I am hoping that strikefarce folds as soon as possible so that all these fighters that think they are top fighters will have no choice then to join the UFC and put there money where there mouth is and actually fight The true top fighters in the world.

• LiverPunch says:

You are really strange big Dave. A Joke of a tourney?. When you say things like that people just roll their eyes and think this guy is an idiot.
    SF is doing very well according to every thing I’ve ever read and if you can show me otherwise please inform me. You say that the UFC has the top fighters but you are just saying that because you are a SF hater and it really shows. Open your mind a little and stop being such a close minded person. If you have some proof that the UFC fighters are better you should inform all of the MMA experts that disagree. I just don’t get why you are the way you are. Fedor was known by everyone in the world including all of the other top HWs , GSP , Big John the ref , Trigg , Rutten , Roegan , Sylvia , Arlovski , Randleman , Couture and 99% of everyone in the know as being the best. He has lost once and you are saying he isn’t top 5 because …?. If you want some perspective listen to what Rutten says about Lesnar , he thinks that he shies away from punches which either means he has no talent or that they don’t hit him in training , he doesn’t know how to pull guard which is one of the most basic MMA skills.
    I would love to see the UFC fighters fight the SF HWs but the UFC wont allow it and took legal action the last time one of them tried. 2 of the top 5 HWs in the UFC did leave though and there names were Sylvia and Arlovski. In all fairness Arlovski did win twice after leaving the UFC when he stopped Nelson and Rothwell via TKO. I think that is what JDS did to Nelson too ..or did that go to dec?.

• Niv says:

Danw84, sorry for posting this after the fight I didn’t see this post til now. I too live in Canada and have Showtime and HDNET. I’m not sure who your provider is but I’m with Shaw Direct, HDNet is automatically included in my HD package and I needed to subscribe at $14 a month to get Showtime.

Considering $60 each UFC PPV buy, the Showtime subscription through Superchannel is a smoking deal.