Rashad Evans rumored as replacement for Thiago Silva at UFC 130

It appears Quinton “Rampage” Jackson may have an opportunity to avenge a past loss after all. Jackson, who recently turned down the chance to fight UFC light heavyweight champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 128 due to a lack of preparation time, is currently scheduled to face Thiago Silva over Memorial Day Weekend at UFC 130. However, it appears Silva may no longer be an option for the event for undisclosed reasons and that “Rampage” rival Rashad Evans will fill the vacancy if necessary. Evans beat Jackson by way of decision at UFC 114 last May.

The plan to pair Evans and Jackson for a second time was reported by MMAWeekly. However, if Silva is indeed being forced out of the fight it appears to be news to him, as he has since been quoted by Tatame as saying his bout with Jackson is still on as far as he knows.

“Sugar” ‘Shad was originally set to take on Rua before a knee injury resulted in him being replaced by Jon Jones. However, he is expected to be ready to go again by May when UFC 130 will take place, meaning it is possible UFC could create a top contenders’ clash at the event by potentially putting him in the Octagon with Jackson.

• JOEgun says:

damn i was looking forward to Rampage vs Thiago.
    if Rampage does rematch with Evans i hope its more exciting than the first fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

Damm I was really looking forward to seeing how Thiago handled someone like Rampage. I guess Evans is a good replacement but still kind of dissapointed.

• Angry Mike says:

Really disappointing. Silva vs. Rampage could’ve been an epic fight between to hard strikers. Rashad is skilled, but a lot less entertaining to watch.

• danw84 says:

Booooo

I liked the idea of Rashad going to 185, and I was pumped for Rampage vs Silva.

This sucks.

• bigbadjohn says:

They reportedly had a little scuffle at a nightclub recently (Page and Suga), so the grudge is still fresh. Bad match-up for Quinton again though, Suga is too athletic and has a bette work ethic. Don’t think for a second it won’t go down like the first fight IMO. Though I don’t see Page stealing a roun d this time. And I know people hate Rashad for some reason unbenounced to myself but he’s humble in comparison to many, intelligent and an effective fighter. I wanted Machida Rashad 2.

• fanoftna33 says:

So according to Thiago Silva- via Tatame- he says the fight with Rampage is still on. I wonder whats really going on????

• MCM says:

I’m thinking this is just a rumor due to the recently released vid of Rashad saying him and Rampage had words slapped each other after the Machida fight. I’d wait until there is actual news from the UFC before I buy into this.

• THEGUNNER says:

I would rather see rashad and rampage they talked a lot and someone needs to get finished so we can have a winner. I think rampage will get the ko. Rampage has good chin rashad dont we seen that. Im a big rampage fan and I think iff anderson silvia was that good why not fight at light heavy and get in the ring with rampage, rashad, rua, michida, or anyone besided forrest! Instead hed rather fighy gsp who is smaller? I think theres too there is too much talent in lhw division its more copmetition and impossible for him to clean out the division.

• BigDave says:

out of the three thiago is the one I want to see against rua or jones as neither rashad or runpage have a shot at beating either.

• bigbadjohn says:

man people are really jumping on the Thiago bandwagon. It was freaking Vera and he still wouldn’t stand with him. If Rashad fought Thiago again it would go the same way. Rashad by ragdolling. If Rashad didn’t have a bad chin, he’d stand with Thiago and then MAYBE Silva would have a chance. “Oh but Thiago’s back wasn’t good”. He’ll never be able to wrassle with Rashad or keep the pace . Period. If Suga hadn’t have gotten cocky when Thiago was gassing in their fight, he wouldn’t have stood in front of him and taken the shot he did either.

• THEGUNNER says:

I like rashad I really disliked how he always wanted to fight everyone that knocked out jardine now that jardines out of the pic id like to see rashad his thing. Plus jardines on the wrong side of everyones highlights.

Apparently the rumor is Thiago’s last drug test is being checked out… Didn’t say positive just being scrutinized @ this point… But who knows.

• LiverPunch says:

Thiago has never beaten anyone with a name who has won more than they have lost in their last 10 anyway.

So what happens if Jones wins and Rashad wins?

I guess Rashad leaves the division on a high note?? Him & Jones won’t fight right?

I hope either Rampage or shogun can pull out a “W” because if it plays out any other way it’s a waste… Shit I hope they both win at this point.

How come no one is getting worked up about jones & rashad not wanting to square off but we go ballistic when kos and fitch won’t either and they have been friends and training partners probably 3x as long ?

• bigbadjohn says:

obviously because Kos and Fitch are perrenial contenders. Suga and Bones both being top 5 is a new revelation for the LHW division. When fresh match-ups start getting scarce at 205 I’m sure we’ll hear about it.

• boomnutz says:

Rashard just reiterated he won’t fight Bones Jones, he’ll either move to MW or HW, but who is he kidding, it’ll be MW…In my opinion, and i’ve said it many times before, he belongs in the MW division he’s too small (and pudgy) for the LHW division, he’d be a MONSTER at MW

• bigbadjohn says:

I’m definitely a minority. I would love to see Rashad wear Rampage down over 3 rounds of physical domination through overwhelming wrestling. I’ve always thought of wrestling as the best way for proving one’s superiority. Essentially, controlling another’s fully conscious body and mind has always seemed to me as the most satisfying way to finish a grudge match. I’ll take my KOs any day of the week but when Kos ran his mouth about GSP I was glad to see him have to take 25 minutes instead of a submission or a TKO. Heck, I’ll even be hoping GSP puts Anderson through a similar fight that Chael did last year. Well, without the triple-testosterone piss test and the triangle in the 5th round naturally.

• bigbadjohn says:

but before you go judging me badly, I would rather see Thiago fight Rampage than Rashad for sure! With Thiago swinging for the fences and Rampage’s KO history it would surely be a classic. The Rashad fight just doesn’t have the same appeal as it did the first time

Now it’s rumored matt hamil and rampage are going to fight?!? Really?? So unexcited right now.

• LiverPunch says:

Have you heard any more about Thiago’s test Rece?.

• MCM says:

You know what? I am actually more intrigued by the Hamil replacement. I think Hamil will be able to take him down. I know Rampage has good take down def. but he hasn’t fought a wrestler of Hamils caliber since Hendo. Since then Rampage has moved his camp to England, had a mental break down, retired, and seems to have forgotten that he can do more than just box. Matt also looked like a totally different fighter in his last fight against Rampages former teammate Tito.
    Now I won’t go so far as to say that Hamill will win this one, and after watching him get worked over by Franklin, this could very well be his first KO defeat, but I think he’s got more than a punchers chance against Rampage. If he fails no big deal as he goes back to the middle of the pack. But if he can put Rampage on his back and keep him there for three rounds, he will be stepping into the top 10 of one of the most stacked divisions in MMA.