Quinton Jackson turned down title-shot given to Jon Jones

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson definitely wants to avenge a 2005 loss to current light heavyweight champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua – just not on March 19. Offered an opportunity to take an injured Rashad Evans’ spot against Rua at UFC 128 during last weekend’s UFC 126 festivities, Jackson declined the match-up eventually going to Jon Jones while referring to his inability to prepare for the bout in such a short time as the reason for his refusal.

“Rampage” spoke about the decision in an interview with MMAJunkie saying it was currently unrealistic for him to be in shape with only 4-5 weeks to get ready regardless of opponent.

“I’m just doing maintenance training right now. I just started back. I fought right before the holidays, and I went on vacation to see my family and took my kids to see their family in Japan,” the 32-year old star explained. “I’ve been living my life, so I gained a lot of weight. I’m a natural fighter. I don’t do any drugs, and I don’t know any high-performance drugs, so I have a natural body. My body gains weight when I don’t train and I don’t eat like I’m in camp.”

“I’m 250 pounds, and I would have to lose 45 pounds in, what, three or four weeks?” Jackson continued. “The first time I fought (Rua) I was injured going into that fight, and it has haunted me all the way up to now. I always believed the second time I fight ‘Shogun’ that I’m going to be close to 100 percent as possible.”

Jackson will instead look towards a May 28 date with 15-2 Thiago Silva at UFC 130 where he’ll attempt to build on a paper-thin win over Lyoto Machida at UFC 123 this past November. “Rampage” holds an overall record of 31-8 in his career with victories over a number of notable opponents including Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, and Dan Henderson.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I don’t blame Rampage… shit we gain from his decision anyway, He could have said yes cashed a phat check and took a “L” and had a reasonable excuse, but instead he did the right thing for himself and everyone involved.

• THEGUNNER says:

Rampage is a beast I think thiago is gonna say something and piss him off then rampage will fight good. Im pretty sure he will get his title shot amd it will still be rua.

• fanoftna33 says:

I echo THE GUNNER, after Rampage beats Thiago he will be next in line, and I am hopeing for the rematch vs Shogun personally. Although Rampage vs Jones sounds good also.

• MCM says:

Rampage absolutely did the right thing by turning down this fight. It’s just too bad it was his last chance to fight for the title. Thiago is gonna pound him into la la land and send Rampage back into “retirement”.

Thiago’s is out and Rashad is in… Maddness.

• Sykotick says:

Thiago is out of the match? Is that what you mean rece?

• fanoftna33 says:

MCM, that surprises me that you think Thiago would have took Rampage, I really thought you knew MMA better lol. Really I was so looking forward to that fight as it would have shown us if Thiago was really ready for a serious run at the top.

• MCM says:

fanoftna33-
    Rampage doesn’t do well against aggressive Mau Tai strikers. Sure he beat Wandy, but Silva was 1-3 going into that fight and still owns 2 ko’s over Jackson. Thiago hits harder than Rampage, see the Jardine and Rashad fights as evidence, and has crisper striking IMO. Rampage has gone the distance in 7 of his last 10 fights (5yrs), I don’t think he still has the power everyone thinks he does. And his move to England has only weekend his game.

Hopefully this fight still happens, so we can see if I’m right or just blowing smoke up my own ass.
    😉

• BigDave says:

Runpage is done. He would lose to Rua, Thiago, or Rashad so it really doesn’t matter who he is in with he is done.

• fanoftna33 says:

MCM I see your point about agressive Thai fighters, but really is Thiago a agressive standing striker???? I think he is not really that agressive on the feet, look what he does when pressed on the feet— takedown. He wouldnt even stand with Houston Alexander. Anthony Mendes rocked him standing. Machida had his way with him. And even Vera looked better striking ( until Silva took him down). All this makes me feel that Rampage takes this fight, because there is very little chance of Silva taking Rampage down and while he may have lost some speed I feel his power is still there- remember power is the last thing to go.

• Dangerous says:

Ditto to what fanoftna33 has been saying and it also seems as if we are forgetting how good of chin rampage has….

• LiverPunch says:

Ditto ditto

• LiverPunch says:

Dave he just beat Machida and he has only lost twice in the last 5 years to Rashad because like all of us he fell asleep watching Evans “fight” and the other loss was a hard fought and close decision to Forrest.