Ken Florian latest lightweight making move to 145 pounds

Former 155-pound title-contender Ken Florian has joined Tyson Griffin among the exodus of talented lightweights dropping down a division to test their skills at 145 pounds resulting from the UFC’s addition of WEC’s smaller weight-classes. However, while Griffin’s decision may have been influenced by three consecutive losses, “Ken Flo” is 8-2 in his last ten fights including victories over Roger Huerta, Joe Stevenson, Takanori Gomi, and Clay Guida.

News of the move was reported by ESPN where Florian spends time as a co-host on MMA Live.

“I started playing around with the idea: could I make 145? Originally, I didn’t think it was possible,” explained Florian. “I spoke with a few nutritionists, got their opinions, told them what my body fat was, my walking-around weight, all that stuff and the general consensus was that it was very possible. I put a lot of thought into it, spoke with my coaches and everybody involved and decided that I am going to try it. I’m going to go for it.”

According to his manager Florian’s 145-pound debut will take place at some point this Summer.

Fans may recall this is not the first time Florian’s name has come up in connection with the UFC’s featherweight division. The original Ultimate Fighter finalist was recently rumored for a scrap with dynamic champion Jose Aldo who would have gone up to 155 had the bout come to fruition.

Florian has been out of action since a decision loss to Gray Maynard last August, though he was scheduled for a match-up with Evan Dunham in January but forced to withdraw due to a knee injury. The 34-year old Northeasterner is 13-5 in his career with nine wins by way of submission as well as a trio of TKOs to his credit.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Jose aldo will destroy kenny at that weight

Some big names making the drop down… wouldn’t be surprised if there was some incentive to bring more attention to the weight class from the casual fans whom associate name recognition with level of interest… just a theory.

• Dufresne says:

Hell. Yes.

This not only will make Kenny a bigger threat than he was at LW, which was already top tier, but it helps clear the water in the LW division as well. I can’t wait to see who they match him up with first, but I’m hoping they give him a fight or two at FW to let him get his bearings before they match him up with Aldo.

Sry I should have elaborated… Incentive from Zuffa.

• fanoftna33 says:

Damm this will make for about the most weight classes fought in the ufc by any fighter ever I bet. 3 total is a lot of dropped weight, we will see if his body can handle it.

• bigbadjohn says:

ala Phil Baroni. He went from mid 200s to 185

• MCM says:

So…does this mean Guillard was right?

Florian always looked small to me at 155 but I think that’s just his build. He doesn’t look like he’s got a lot of fat so I wonder how hard the cut is gonna be on him. He’s still a top 10 LW so throw him in with a top 5 FW and if he wins, title shot.

• Angry Mike says:

This smells more like desperation than strategy. Florian has looked timid in his last few fights, and I think he realizes that his future at 155 is very questionable. I can recall Dana White commenting that Florian tended to freeze up or choke, so the writing was on the wall.

Hopefully dropping to 145 kick starts his career, but I wonder if the real issue is his training. Maybe he needed a change of pace when he left Mark Delagrotti, but he hasn’t seemed as confident or competitive since then.

• boomnutz says:

i think it’s unfair to question Kenny’s last few fights, he fought BJ greatest LW ever, then took out Gomi, then lost to Maynard…imo the Maynard fight was as pussy as you get. Maynard ran from him the whole fight just to get a takedown with a minute to go…he’s too small and weak to really combat these huge wrestlers, i don’t think he has to worry about as many of them at the FW division…lol he’s probably hoping Aldo moves up then maybe he can win the belt…

btw, kenflo’s the man!!!

• trupert says:

KenFlo vs Manny Gab and Tyson Griffin vs Omigawa.
    Nunes vs Yahya (both coming off wins)
    Mendes waits for winner of Aldo v Hominick
    About right?

• Creature says:

well people wanted someone that could really challenge aldo, well see during the hominick fight, but with kenflo and tyson both going down, FW just got really interesting, i wouldnt be surprised if we saw a new FW champ in the near future.. both kenflo and griffin have serious potential to do it

• fanoftna33 says:

Mendes you left out Faber, who is still ahead of Mendes. Otherwise your fights look great.

• Fanoftna-Faber’s at 135 now, and I being a fan of the cal kid dont think I could bear to watch him stumble around the ring on a fight that should’ve been stopped when his corner had to carry him back after the third round.

I like that alot of the 155ers who’ve been struggling are considering droppin a weight class, I just hope they dont all think that this is going to completely fix their problems. Kenny might do just fine as a FW, but I wonder, if he cant get this at 145, what then? He’ll be like Franklin, one of the best guys in the division, but just cant crack into that title(in franklin’s case I know it’d be again, but still, its an apt comparison.)

• Rich S. says:

This is a bit of a shock, but perhaps it’s a good decision.

Kenny will still be a force at Lightweight for a long time. After all, he only ever lost to champions and #1 contenders. Maybe he feels moving to 145 will be his chance to actually wear the gold.

• mu_shin says:

Agree that Ken can have some good matches at 145, and also that he may have been encouraged to make this move to bring more name recognition to the featherweight division, new to the UFC.

What I don’t see is an easier path to winning a championship, not as long as Jose Aldo is wearing the belt. The Aldo fights I’ve seen so far have showcased in my opinion one of the most dynamic and powerful MMA practitioners currently active in any weight division, and he’s only getting better.

Kenny Florian would be a great candidate for a most improved fighter award if there was such a thing, as he’s trained hard and continued to enhance his skill set during his time in the UFC, particularly the striking aspects. His elbows are legendary, and he also has moves on the mat. I just wonder if he has what it takes to overcome a guy like Aldo, who just seems to be a cut above the other 145’ers at this point. No doubt Kenny can fit in at the top of the featherweight division, but only time and a fight or two will tell to what heights he can take this new phase of his UFC career.

• mark hominick could handle kenny florian. I respect kenny but I just don’t see kenny as a contender anymore.

• BigDave says:

kenny may be good enough to crack top 5 at 155 and 145 but he just plain isn’t good enough to be a champ at either imo. As for his chances against aldo he has not a chance to beat him other then a lucky punch but then again I feel that way about anyone stepping in with him atm.