UPDATE: Rob McCullough named as first lightweight in Bellator Season 4 Tournament

With welterweight and featherweight fields already established, Bellator Fighting Championships appears to have turned its attention to revealing the eight 155-pounders competing this season for a six-figure paycheck and an opportunity to take on one of the top lightweights in MMA today, Bellator champ Eddie Alvarez.

The first name mentioned by the promotion as participating in the Season 4 tournament is former WEC title-holder “Razor” Rob McCullough. The 19-6 Californian went 2-0 in 2010 after parting ways with WEC and holds past wins over Rich Crunkilton, Marcus Hicks, Ryan Healy, and Nam Phan. Eleven of his wins have come by way of TKO.

UPDATE: According to friend/manager Ken Pavia by way of Twitter it appears McCullough will make his Bellator debut on March 12.

“You’re definitely going to see a new and improved version of ‘Razor’ Rob in Bellator,” explained McCullough. “I have a family now so I’m not out running around like I was before. I’m more conditioned and focused than ever. I’ve completely rededicated myself to this sport. This is my career. I’m supporting a little boy and a wife now. It’s become bigger than just me.”

McCullough became a father in March with wife, and former Penthouse Pet, Lexxi Tyler.

“I’ve been training for the last six months straight, twice a day, every day,” he continued on his bid in the tournament. “I’ve been adding new elements to my game, tweaking things and working on old techniques. I’ve got nothing but positive people surrounding me and I’m ready to get back to the top.”

Though no other lightweights have been officially attached to Season 4 other 155-pound fighters on the Bellator roster with the credentials for a tournament run include Toby Imada, Patricky Freire, and Pat Curran.

Bellator will kick things off with the first event of 2011 on March 5 in Lemoore, California with the Season 4 debut on MTV2.

• Guthookd says:

Hell yeah. We’ll take him.

>>Patricky Freire<< lol

there is plenty of LW talent out there… this should be intertesting, hope they keep signing the best free agents out there…

• Dufresne says:

I was looking forward to this tournament before they announced McCullough’s, now I’m really looking forward to it. Rob may not be a top 10 LW, but I can’t remember any of his fights that bored me.

I’m hoping the rumors of the other fighters are true mostly because I want to see Pat Curran in the mix.

• hindsightufuk says:

wonder if pat will ever get a pop at Alvarez, personally didnt think he was a clear winner in either the Roger or Imada fights, especially against Imada.

Always enjoy watching Rob fight

• MCM says:

Razor Rob was one of those cuts that orgs make that have me, as a fan, always scratching my head. Glad to see him back in with a top organization.

What do ya’ll think the odds are that Bellator signs recent LW and UFC castoff Marcus Davis. I for one would have no problems paying to see McCullough and Davis go at it.

• Guthookd says:

MCM I’ll take that fight any day. Davis vs. McCullough at LW or (now that they’ve signed Saunders) Davis vs. Saunders II at WW would be great too.

Things are getting interesting for Bellator these days. There are just too many great fighters out there for the UFC and SF to have them all on contract at the same time.