“Kid” Yamamoto’s UFC debut to air free through Facebook

Live MMA action will once return to the UFC’s Facebook account Saturday evening as the company has announced its intention to broadcast popular Japanese product Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto’s UFC 126 fight with Demetrious Johnson through the social networking site. The bout will mark the bantamweight’s debut in the Octagon after compiling an 18-3 record overseas and is expected to begin at approximately 8:25 PM EST as a lead in for a pair of UFC 126 prelims on Spike TV starting at 9:00 PM EST.

Yamamoto earned his reputation as one of the sport’s more-exciting fighters in organizations like K-1 and Shooto with slick grappling and sleep-inducing stand-up. He holds notable past wins over Caol Uno, Genki Sudo, Bibiano Fernandes, Jeff Curran, and Rani Yahya. However, though “Kid” started his career off on a 17-1 run he has since gone 1-2 with dual decision losses after an eighteen month break from competition due to injury. His last in-ring appearance resulted in a first-round knockout of Federico Lopez at DREAM 14 this past May.

His opponent, Johnson, is coming off back-to-back wins in WEC and has an overall record of 7-1. Six of his victories have been the result of a finishing performance including a submission of Damacio Page in November at WEC 52.

• adamsfamily says:

you dont do face berk hindsight?

I agree FaceBook is pretty fruity.

• bigbadjohn says:

What?! You guys don’t post all your vacation, party, self-took, photos online for everyone to see? How can we ever be friends guys?

• JOEgun says:

live & free sounds good to me.

i have yet to see Kid fight, so i guess i’ll see if hes more than just hype

• THEGUNNER says:

Forget the pics and other crap whos gonna look at my fb when I put every feeling I go through today up min after min. What a joke. Fb is bs.

• Dufresne says:

Personally I could care less what media outlet they use to broadcast free MMA. Hell, if they want to project it onto the side of an office building in downtown I’ll load my car up with beer and food and find somewhere with a good view that I can park. Same thing here.

I’ve got a fb profile, but unlike most folks on there I can’t remember the last time I uploaded a photo, changed my status, or looked at anyone’s wall. I don’t really care what most people are thinking/doing/feeling the vast majority of the time. I mostly use it to chat with folks in my class when we’re stuck in a shitty class. This weekend however, I’m going to be using it to watch Kid Yamamoto’s debut.

Oh, and f*** farmville.

• elsicilian says:

Why are you all hating on Facebook so much? It’s not fundamentally different from what we do on this site day after day, week after week, month after month, etc. For the most part it is just an online community of folks posting links, making comments and discussing them with each other (only with a range of topics broader than MMA, less anonymity, and much less obtrusive advertising).

If you don’t care for the photos you don’t have to look; and if you don’t like Facebook, by all means don’t use it. But the sheer intensity of your hostility seems like a really disproportionate reaction to a relatively benign social networking site, and if I am being honest, it makes you seem *really* snobby …