Patrick Cote set for Spring debut in Canadian promotion

Rather than opting to ink a deal with one of MMA’s larger organizations, former UFC middleweight contender Patrick Cote has signed to fight for Ringside MMA and will make his first appearance under their banner in the next few months at a yet-to-be-announced event. Ringside MMA is based out of Cote’s hometown, Montreal, and has promoted ten events since mid-2009 including a show this past weekend

News of negotiations between the two parties was first reported by Montreal MMA with MMAWeekly since confirming an agreement is now in place.

Cote is 13-7 in his career and had won seven of eight bouts including three consecutive TKO victories to earn a UFC title-shot. However, he subsequently shredded his knee shortly into the third round of his UFC 90 fight with 185-pound champion Anderson Silva. He then lost in his return to the Octagon against Alan Belcher seven months later and most recently fell by way of decision to Tom Lawlor at UFC 121 this past October. The defeat earned Cote his release from the UFC.

“The Predator” has found past success in the ring against Kendall Grove, Scott Smith, Jason MacDonald, and Ricardo Almeida. No opponent has been named for his Ringside MMA debut.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• JOEgun says:

who cares!

haha :p

• Dufresne says:

I kinda liked Cote to be honest. He had an elementary ground game, but he was also a guy that would take a fight on short notice and show up looking to throw down.

This decision will hopefully provide him with some fights that won’t test his knee too much and that he can use to rebuild his confidence. I don’t know if he’ll be back in a big promotion anytime soon, but if he does decide to head back to the international scene I would recomend SF. I wouldn’t mind seeing him against Scott Smith, Cung Le, or Daley.

• bigbadjohn says:

Cote and Smith have actually squared off before in the UFC a few years ago. After that Patrick went on a tear, iced Kendall and even beat Ricardo Almeida in a decision I think. But once he ran into The Spider and injured his knee he had taken a step backwards it seemed, though a loss to Alan Belcher is nothing to shake your head about

• MCM says:

I’m surprised he didn’t sign with MFC as they seem to have taken the reigns as the new top dog MMA org in Canada from the now defunct TKO where Cote was champion. Patrick’s a good fighter that can hang with most guys in the division, but he’s definitely a journeyman fighter. Good to have on your card, always putting on a show, but will never be (and shouldn’t have been) an elite contender.

• Angry Mike says:

He was looking alright in the fight with Silva until his knee blew out. I’m not saying he would’ve won, but he was definitely still in the fight. He never came back from that injury, really, and I don’t know whether that was the due to the knee or other problems. I have a hunch that if he hadn’t injured his knee, he’d still be in the UFC.

• TerribleT says:

I agree JOEgun,so f ‘ ing what,Cote’s irrelevant right now

• qat says:

if you are not interested, dont click on the news and dont comment, news-sites have a tendency to watch over which news are popular and which are not.

i’m still interested about his career btw.

• JOEgun says:

not all comments have to be positive or even non bias. im only expressing my opinion that i dont really care about Cote. he came off a bit cocky and always seemed to underestimate his opponents. i dont think he deserved his shot at Silva (but i think there wasnt many options for opponents at the time).
    I think im free to click and read whatever i want and express my opinion. Im an MMA junkie, bro, i cant help it.

• Dufresne says:

Im an MMA junkie, bro, i cant help it.

Putting “MMA” and “junkie” next to each other in a sentence makes me gag…

“Putting “MMA” and “junkie” next to each other in a sentence makes me gag…”

hallelujah……… Amen to that.

• Sykotick says:

Clicking on a link of a fighter you don’t like and dogging em in the comments is like going to youtube and looking for music you don’t like and commenting that you don’t like it.

Its cool if you don’t like The Predator, but if you don’t like him, why are you clicking on his name?

I agree 110% Dufresne

• qat says:

JOEgun, i was simply trying to tell you and TT that your actions are adversary, i did not try to judge the content of your comments.

By clicking on this news even multiple times(doesnt matter if you read em), and commenting, you are upping the statistics for patrick cote news, which could ultimately result in more patrick cote news. Simple as that.
    And since you so much dont care for him, that cant be what you intended, right?

• JOEgun says:

wow. im amazed how sensitive some of the you guys are on here. if it was up to yall, you would be deleting comments you disagree with in attempts to try and keep everything linear with your own opinions.

geez. “mma junkie” is the name of another site, quit being so sensitive that combining the two terms makes you gag.

i really like this site and keep it bookmarked on my phone, but you guys are the lame aspect. but at the same time, i prefer you say something than nothing at all.

peace

• MCM says:

JOE-
    We all know that it’s another site, that’s the point. Junkie used to be great site, but now it’s just a place for unintelligent youths to gather together and insult each other, much like Sherdog. I still read the Junk for news articles but then I wait for 5oz take on it so that I can have an intelligent conversation about the topic. I don’t agree with all of you fellas all the time, but at least I know when I post something on this site I’m gonna get a reasonably thought out response and not a bunch of insults.
    [high-five 5oz]

• fanoftna33 says:

I love the comments here as we all put in some good opinions without getting personal. The other sites all have there good points but intelligent conversation isnt a part of it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“if you don’t like him, why are you clicking on his name?”

First of all to say every comment on a post has to be positive is rubbish and 2nd of all many of you who have taken a shot at somebody for doing that, do it themselves on Fedor (sykotic) or other fighters threads, so don’t try and tell Joe what he can and can’t do because you disagree with him.

I’m surprised Cote isn’t in SF after being dropped by the UFC. Isn’t that where they all go.

• Sykotick says:

I don’t bash Fedor, Logic, believe it or not I like Fedor, I just don’t like that he doesn’t fight top tier comp,
    If you believe Rogers and Bigfoot are top comp get a mental eval,
    I believe the only fighters I openly hate on are nick and Nate diaz cuz I don’t like their fake thug persona,
    And you’re right not every comment has to be positive but if the damn thread says Patrick Cote, and you say to yourself “Patrick Cote, he sucks! Who cares about him?” why would you click on the thread, that’s all I’m saying, hence why I don’t comment on the kimbo threads or the threads about fighters I care not for. Why would I, I don’t care about them

• qat says:

MMA-LOGIC, you are right that there should be all kinds of comments, be it positive, negative, neutral, whatever. I dont think that was disputed here anyway. However, a simple “i dont care”, “so what” or “who cares” without explanation is neither of them. It just does not add any value to a conversation.

If you are in a bar and hear some guys talking about a specific topic you dont give a shit about, do you just join them to shout “who cares”? I guess the only reasons to do that would be to annoy them or to have a serious craving for recognition.

And a [high-five 5oz] from me as well, MCM nailed it.

• I for one enjoy the negative comments or oppossing views that we have on here. Even people that I tend to disagree with (mma logic, mcm and King Mah Mah) usually have something relevant to say and usually help blow open a wide discussion.
    and I agree on Junkie, it used to be one hell of a site and their quick updates on news is second to none(even 5 oz seems to get alot of their news from the Junkie) but the comment sections and even the sunday junkie seem to be ill planned and less interesting than Grappling with issues. Plus I like the fact that on here the writers discuss things then open it up to us in order to give us their perspective to things we may not have thought of or noticed before.
    What happened to nick havok? did he get 86ed? I liked his pissed off at DW attitude, it was entertaining.

• MCM says:

“Even people that I tend to disagree with (mma logic, MCM……….” – superdavenorcal

That kinda hurts a little.. :(

I think Nick has been banned from every MMA website out there. He was one of those guys you either loved to laugh with or wanted to curb stomp, there was no in between. But he gained a shit ton of notoriety writing what he did in the way he did it. I know that on both Sherdog and Junkie he had a ton of copycats that would post using some form of his name. He’s kinda like the Leroy Jenkins of the MMA blog-o’sphere. (Did I just get too nerdy?)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fair play to you both but if he doesn’t care so be it.
    I wont get into who Fedor has faced but check out who Carwin has faced and JDS. Both are ranked top 5 and neither have beaten 2 top 10 fighters or faced more than 2 in the time Fedor has faced 4 and beaten 3. 1 of Carwins last 5 victories was over a guy who lost 15 of his last 18 and 2 over guys who have lost 5 of their last 10 and he only holds 1 victory over anyone the UFC has not cut for a bad record. JDS has beaten 1 top 10 and 1 borderline top 20 who has lost 3 of his last 5 and 1 top 20 who has lost 5 from his last 10 and lost twice to Werdum. So if we are talking adding something to the conversation …
    If you think Nelson, Gonzaga, Yvel and Struve (no top 10s)are top comp or Gonzaga, Wain, Wellisch (no top 10s) are and Sylvia, Arlovski, Rogers and Werdum (3 top 5s and a top 10 who is now top 5) are not get a mental eval. If you think Big Foot (a top 10) is not top comp you are a worse UFC mark than I thought.
    Opps I got into it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah how can he disagree with us both MCM? am I not the yin to your yang or the + to your – or the right to your wrong? 😉

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just a joke MCM by the way. I know you are the right to my wrong sometimes.

• Sykotick says:

Sylvia lost to Couture then beat Vera then lost to Nog and he was #5?
    Andrei lost twice to Sylvia then beat Marcio Cruz, Jake O’Brien, Werdum, Rothwell, and Nelson(bs btw) and he was #2? Tell me how that makes sense.
    Top Comp, Mark Hunt, Hong Man Choi, Matt Lindland, Sylvia(I’ll give you) Arlovski(I’ll give you) Rogers, Werdum(I’ll give you)

• MCM says:

[high-five LOGIC]

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry guys about talking about Nelson vs Arlovski on here but the stand up in that fight was out of the ordinary sykotic but if you watch the fight again Nelson knees him 2 or 3 times to the body, gives him half a dozen rabbit punches and attempts a Kimora or straight arm lock in 3 mins. He was relatively inactive and was warned. After they were stood up it was another couple of mins of fighting before the TKO came. The idea that Nelson would have won had the stand up not occurred is a bit extreme.
    My point was that you can argue that Fedor has faced inferior quality opponents but I would ask inferior to who? the only guys that I could think of would be Nog and perhaps it could be argued that Lesnar and has faced a higher level. All other HWs are either around the same level or lower in there last 5 in my opinion. I’m sure you are as sick of arguing this as me so lets just agree to disagree… until the next SF or Fedor article anyway.

• Sykotick says:

Fair deal, truce till the next time Fedor’s name is in a thread,
    Lastly with BC and the Pitbull, I’m not going to say he would have won, cuz I don’t know, but now we will never know
    Believe it or not I like strikeforce, cuz I like MMA in general, and I love arguing with you cuz you’re as thick headed as I am, so if we lived closer I’d offer to buy you a beer but then we would probably kill eachother with broken beer bottle after lol

• MCM says:

“…you can argue that Fedor has faced inferior quality opponents but I would ask inferior to who?” -MMALOGIC

I’m only bringing this up in this thread because it has been touched upon in several others as well.
    Fedor’s last five is inferior to JDS’s last five.

JDS:
    Nelson – #1 contenders match. against a top 20 fighter and a top UFC fighter that literally walked through TUF without taking any damage.
    Gonzaga – former title challenger and top 20 HW (albeit barely top 20)
    Yvel – looks like a joke now, but when they fought, Yvel hadn’t lost to anyone but Barnett (#2 in the world) in 4 years and was top 15 on some lists.
    Cro Cop – was 3-0-1 since his first shot in the UFC and was back on most peoples top 10 list
    Struve – No one really knew Stefan Struve, but he was 16-2 when they fought. Even against cans, that’s still a pretty good record.

Now for Fedor:
    Werdum – LOST. I had Werdum in my top 10 when they fought, but I also had him in my top 10 when he got KO’d by JDS.
    Rogers – 1 top win in his entire career. I would argue Struve had the better resume at time. Also he was coming off a loss
    AA – top 5 at the time
    Sylvia – top 10 at the time but coming off a loss too.
    HMC – This was a freak show fight. I don’t think anyone has tried to say otherwise.

Although Fedor faced 3 top 10 opponents in his last five fights, he lost to one. And it happened to be the one that JDS KO’d in his UFC debut. Every one of JDS’s opponents were coming off wins and all but one were coming off wining streaks.
    Fedor – 2 tough guys, 2 possible cans, 1 loss
    JDS – 4 tough guys, 1 possible can, 0 losses
    IMO, I would argure JDS has fought the better competition……see you in the next SF thread.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Are you calling Rogers a can MCM?.
    Would you really put Gonzaga, Stuve, Yvel and Nelson higher than Rogers?. Yvel went 2-7 in Pride and is now 0-3 in the UFC, he has faced 3 top 20 HWs in the last 10 years and is 0-3 (he may be 1-3 if Rizzo was top 20). Nelson has faced 4 top 20 opponents and is 0-4. Gonzaga has faced 4 top 20 since he KOed Crocop and is 1-3. Struve has faced 1or 2 top 20s and is 0-1 or 0-2. Crocop has faced 5 in the last 5 years and is 1-4 ( I don’t think Barry was top 20 was he?).
    Who was coming off a loss, Rogers? Fedor was his first loss.
    We could debate it and it is debatable but I guess that is my point.
    I like JDS but do I think he has been tested 100%, no way, not even 10%. His biggest win by a long way was Werdum and that was before any real test had started. Lets see how he does if Lesnar gets him down or once he has fought Cain.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry I will shut up about it now.
    Back to Cote. I would like to see him mix it up with Leites, Horn and Lutter in the MW wilderness and see if he has anything left in the tank.

• MCM says:

Yes. I would put all those fighters higher than Rogers. (But I hope Rogers proves me wrong.) I also stand corrected on him coming off a loss.

I agree with your next post though. I would like to see him rematch McFedries if he rematches Lutter. And watch him knock the kcuf out of that dirt hippy Horwich.

• bigbadjohn says:

People talked Lesnar/Fedor but they never talk Cain/Fedor. Now that’s a fight for the ages. Cain could easily be too much for Emelianenko

• king mah mah says:

Um, yeah…… I just want to see Cote fighting again. I’ve always liked him. He would’ve beat Anderson Silva had it not been for a freak injury in the octagon. Let’s hope Cote makes it back to the UFC shall we?

P.S.- Vitor Belfort is going to destroy the “Spider” in Febuary! Thumbs it down if you want but damn it! It’s Vitor’s time to shine!!!!!!!!!

Belfort by ko in the 1st round!!!!

• LiverPunch says:

Cote would destroy Fedor , Lesnar , Nelson , Butterbean , Valasquez , Baroni , Carwin , Sapp , JDS , Lashley , Akibono and Antonio Silva combined and I think Cain would even be too much for Valasquez bigbadjohn.

• LiverPunch says:

Poor Cote. He probably thought he had made it out of Canada for good but now he gets sucked back in. Too cruel.

• king mah mah says:

LOL- LiverPunch! Maybe he can rest easy now? Eh? LOL

• king mah mah says:

thumbs up LiverPunch!

• Dufresne says:

…and I think Cain would even be too much for Valasquez bigbadjohn.

Cain v Cain!?! Hells yeah I wanna see that fight!

• (high fives to MCM MMA Logic AND King Mah Mah)

Sorry to hurt your feelings MCM, no disrespect intended. We tend to disagree on some points(The one that sticks out in my mind was Hardy vs. Condit and who deserved to be in the ring with who) but that doesn’t mean I dont think you have intelligent educated and excellent points about our favorite sport, we just tend to disagree alot of the time.
    And yes Logic I would put Struve above Rogers as he’s shown the ability to face adversity and come out better off. Using his other wars and come behind victories as an example, I would state that the JDS fight he lost was stopped early due to struve not being out at all, and his quick rise to his feet after the bell where he seemed to be mildly annoyed rather than hurt. The only two times we’ve seen rogers hurt he was finished(albeit by two of the best in the world)
    and Mah Mah what the hell are you talking about? Cote was cleanly losing his fight with the spider and had Anderson ever gotten serious he would’ve put him away with one of his quick flurries. Instead Cote fell to a freak injury that was most likely a result of the brutal leg kicks he had absorbed from the champion….I will say though IF Vitor can topple the king, it will be in the first, otherwise Anderson will own him.

• MCM says:

I just read that Cote is gonna be fighting Kalib Starnes on April 9th. I hope Patrick is working on his cardio, he’s gonna need it for all those laps he’s about to run.

(I know it’s an easy joke, but I couldn’t help myself)

• king mah mah says:

@ superdavenorcal- LOL yeah i know he was losing. Just thought i’d stir things up a little. You never know though he could have knocked anderson out if that injury didn’t happen.