Professional wrestling, not boxing, in Kimbo Slice’s future

With his 35th birthday approaching in the next few weeks, his last bout taking place more than six months ago, and no potential match-up rumored for the future it appears Kimbo Slice’s career as a fighter may be, in the words of the affable slugger, “done dada”. Though Slice had expressed interest in boxing shortly after receiving his release from the UFC last year, according to one of his confidants, he apparently left his training camp to film a movie and showed little interest in enduring the necessary wear and tear once he returned from the set.

News of Slice’s status was reported by MMAFighting where a report by Fight Opinion was also cited revealing that just because the former internet sensation doesn’t plan on testing his skills at the sweet science or in Mixed Martial Arts won’t mean fans have seen the last of him in a ring.

It seems the hard-hitting Floridian has been named as one of eight men competing in a tournament taking place on February 5 in a Japanese professional wrestling organization. Slice will face a former Sumo wrestler in opening round action at the event. Strikeforce heavyweight Josh Barnett is also listed in the field of “competitors”.

• MickeyC says:

I’m not surprised. But if he is gonna make a career out of it I recommend going WWE. At least he will get paid well for making a fool of himself.

He should have done this right after getting his walking papers from Zuffa… he should have called up VKM and struck while the iron was hot… now though hmm not so much. BUT Japan does LOVE there Freak shows so who knows maybe it will work out and get him some in ring experiance before going on a short run in the states…I was always a fan of the CHARACTER that is Kimbo Slice and I hope he does well in some novelty matches, should make for some fun TV.

• Guthookd says:

I’m all for the Japaneese getting their wrestling entertainment fix, but man, they’re missing some huge freak show opportunities here.

Slice vs. Sapp
    Slice vs. Hong Man
    Slice vs. Akibono
    Slice vs. Butterbean

WTF? I would have watched those “fights”.

At least a nigga gon eat tho.

Yea never know Guthookd he might do both over there If the fans take a liking to him…

• danw84 says:

“If Kimbo’s days as a legitimate fighter are indeed over he will retire from MMA with a 4-2 record including a win over Houston Alexander in the Octagon. He also holds victories, albeit in less-impressive fashion, over James Thompson and “Tank” Abbott.”

Haha I don’t think you can get much less-impressive than that fight with Houston Alexander…

• matt says:

This guy is a joke I wish legitimate mma sites would stop covering him. He never had the desire to learn the necessary skills to become a threat to even mid level talent in his division. He was never anything more than a side show who could put buts in seats. He was a disgrace to mma in my opinion. He said how tough he was and how dedicated he was but I do no believe any of that to be true. Everybody he trained with said that he didn’t have a great work ethic and Bas Rutten went from his trainer, to not even wanting to be associated with him. He receives one beat down by Meathead and he quits. He then says he will become a pro boxer. Gary Shaw who brought him to fame has even turned on him stating that he doesn’t have the desire to train. Now pro wrestling in Japan. I think pro wrestling is the perfect career for a man like Kimbo. He doesn’t have what it takes to be a real fighter, but he does have a huge personality and following to go along with his distinct look.

• I’ve been a huge fan of the art of pro wrestling for the majority of my life that being said I dont think Kimbo will do well in a “real” wrestling org. Staged though it may be, I would love to see most MMA fighters haul themselves off the ground after being hurled off of a 16 foot cage, dislocating their shoulder and continuing the match by reclimbing the cage and continuing to take a beating by the likes of the Undertaker in the form of being throwin through a cage and having your face smashed in by a falling chair all ending in your tooth being knocked out, flowing up your nasal passage and protuding through your nose. It takes some athleticism which i dont think slice has with his busted knees, and i think freak show “matches” in japan are the best thing for him. But good for him that he found a way to continue to feed his kids.

• MCM says:

I agree superdavenorcal. Most of the WWE and TNA guys may not be real fighters but they are definitely real athletes. It’s absolutely insane what they put their bodies through and Kimbo has never seemed to be willing to push himself in that regard. People are also saying that he can be a fake fighter cause of his personality, but he doesn’t have anywhere near as interesting a personality as the guys that do pro wrestling. Kimbo was built up as a YouTube sensation and was hyped by media outlets and MMA promotions. He was never a good self promoter, and that’s what you need to be in US based pro wrestling.

• Angry Mike says:

Superdavenorcal is right about Kimbo’s knees. I think they’re shot, and that was pretty obvious from his inability to handle kicks to them. I never wished any ill on the guy, especially since was the marketing guys who overhyped him. I won’t miss him in MMA, but good luck to him.

• Dufresne says:

I’m also with you superdavenorcal.

In pro-wrestling you have to have physical gifts and the gift of gab, and depending on how much you have of one lets you get away with not having the other. Guys like Mick Foley may not be able to pull a moonsault or a shooting star press, but the man is amazing on the mic (not to mention he’s evidently indestructible). Then you have guys like The Big Show, Cain, and even Lesnar when he first joined up who suck on the mic, but they’re just physical freaks. They don’t have to talk to be badasses.

Kimbo has bum knees and sounds like he’s talking with a mouth full of marbles. Don’t see it lasting.

P.S. What in the hell is Barnett doing in this tourney?

• LiverPunch says:

Feed his kids?. The guy made millions.

• TerribleT says:

He could feed his kids ’til they got their Social Security checks if he sold all the gold chains and diamond rings and other jewelry bullshit he wears that he wasted his money on . . . . . .

• LiverPunch says:

Some pro wrestlers are very good athletes but some are not. Kimbo will fit in between. You can’t tell me that Kimbo is less athletic than Zeus or Andre the Giant or any worse on the mic. It is scripted and all they have to do is script it so Kimbo can do his thing. Funny that people are saying he wont even last at fake fighting though.

P.S. Barnett is fighting in the tourney isn’t he Dufresne?. Do you think he shouldn’t be?. If you don’t I disagree. A clean Barnett is worth watching but if he pisses potion again , I will officially become a member of the Barnett Haters Association too.

• cocoonofhorror says:

sad.

• hindsightufuk says:

let the brother do his thing

• Dufresne says:

I’m all about someone doing what they need to in order to make money. I was saying that Kimbo isn’t good on a mic and unlike Andre or Zeus, he does have the massive physical frame to make up for it.

And as for Barnett, last I heard he should be getting ready for a MMA tournament. Wrestling may be scripted, but people still get injured all the time and all it would take is landing wrong to take him out of the SF tourney.

WORD.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Barnett is a filler for the Grand Prix, he has no chance to advance past the 1st fight anyway.

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry my bad. Didn’t read the whole article because I am about as interested in “sports:” entertainment as I was in Kimbo’s MMA fights and that is not at all.

• LiverPunch says:

I can’t believe I just said “my bad”.

• hindsightufuk says:

haha you’re getting all ghetto on us

LP… Keeping it gansta

• @ LP
    While you’ve always got intelligent things to say on MMA

Dont you ever….EVER diss Andre the giant in my presence! He was actually quite athletic for such a monster until he broke his legs due to his giant syndrome.

• cocoonofhorror says:

you guys disagree about Barnett? you know the tourney is in the states, right? he cant risk another positive and will need to cycle off early. whoever gets him 1st (i think its Rogers) will get an even weaker version of Barnett than the one that couldnt finish Yvel from the mount in 12 minutes. he’s getting shitcanned.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Pisses potion LP?.
    Combine 1 frogs toe , 1 cup of tears from a first born virgin, 3 hairs from an albino wolfs tail, anabolic steroids, 5 cat fish eye balls and the blood from a 3 legged goat.
    Lucky they don’t test for eye of newt and wing of bat or Barnett would be screwed.