UFC targeting Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann for early 2011

Wishes are typically thought of in terms of acquiring wealth, prolonging health, finding love, or bringing about a similarly positive outcome in one’s life. However, when asked what he wanted on the heels of his knockout win over Chris Leben at UFC 125, Brian Stann responded by expressing his desire to face a MMA legend with a reputation for leaving opponents face down on the mat – Wanderlei Silva.

It now appears Stann’s dream may come true, as Dana White recently spoke to MMAFighting and explained the UFC is looking at putting the two middleweights together at some point in the next few months.

Silva has been out of action due to a knee injury since outpointing Michael Bisping a little less than a year ago at UFC 110. Ring-rust aside, the Brazilian still represents a serious threat for Stann. Though he is known for his friendly demeanor outside of the ring, “The Axe Murderer” is fearless on his feet and has a highlight reel featuring some of the sport’s most brutal knockouts. Twenty-five of his thirty-three wins have come by way of strikes including a pair of victories over former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

If the bout takes place as expected it will represent the highest profile match-up of Stann’s career. His first-round flattening of Leben earlier this month was the decorated Marine’s second consecutive win since dropping to 185-pounds and improved his overall record to 10-3.

• king mah mah says:

I think Stann might regret asking for this.

Wanderlei isn’t going to aimlessly walk into punches like a zombie after getting hit like Leban did. I think he’ll use a similar strategy he used against Bisping. He’ll outpoint, use some wrestling and pour it on at the end of the round. Which is fine by me. Should be an exciting fight no matter what.

Wanderlei by a late round tko or a UD.

• MickeyC says:

I’m glad they hooked this up. I figured they would make Stann wait for Bisbing, just because of the marketing value. Stann if he continues to lwin, will clearly be the UFCs new Capt. America, with Randys exit almost certin with in the next couple years. I hate Bisbing, I do not see it happening but I hope Riveria pulls a Hendo on him.

• Dufresne says:

I was really hoping that they’d match up Leben v Wanderlei. After all, Leben did call for it first.

But as it stands I can’t really complain about this fight. Stann and Wandy always put on entertaining fights and with both of their styles this one should live up to both of their reputations.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I think this fight could go either way-I see Stann really coming into his own now and Wanderlei is getting pretty close to that age where wear and tear can become a major factor

I think I’d still Be more interested in silva vs leben

• hindsightufuk says:

same here rece

much as lebens style is entertaining he needs to think about his long term as well.
    personally i would pick him to beat stann 9 times out of ten, he’s a better all round fighter, he just fought that fight the way the fans wanna see hime fight, not how he could win the fight

• HevyHitters says:

I to want to see wandy and leben go at it, i think it will happen some time in the future..as far as stann goes, hes a tough dude this will be a tough test for wandy, but cant see him beating wandy..i think his striking is better..wand k.o round 2…should be an awesome fight! Just glad to see wanderlei back in action

• Angry Mike says:

Classic match up between an old and a young lion. Stann’s win against Leben was a strong statement, especially

• LiverPunch says:

This is a great match up. Wanderlei needs a victory and Stann is a rising power hungry for the win.
    Leben is little more than a glorified gate keeper and his refusal to fight smart bugs me. The idea that he went 3-5 and tested positive for PEDs and was done for DUI all within the same time frame but kept his job because of his exciting way of fighting really annoys me. All it takes is for a young fighter to be scared to engage and they are fired but that clown keeps his job for fighting dumb and ugly, then asking if the crowd was entertained. Some of you would rather Leben vs Wandy, I would rather not see Leben again. Sorry but I’ve been keeping that in for a while. The dude is 11-6 in the UFC and has been done for cheating. Go Leben.

• JOEgun says:

Im going with Wanderlei in this one.

Not because i think Stann is not a good fighter but because other than Wandys KO loss to Rampage hes looked fairly good (although not like in Pride days), and he went 3 rounds with Rich Franklin whom i think has better striking & movement than Stann. And i think the Bisping fight he wouldve won by KO had the ref not stepped in to save Bisping at the bell).

But I also think Stann is really tough so this should be an excellent battle.

• stone says:

I honestly didn’t give Stan a chance against Leben. I still don’t want to believe it now. I heard Leben was sick but took the fight anyways. I’m still not a believer of Stan & I’ve been wanting to see Leben vs. Wanderlei since Leben called him out after the Akiyama war. Too bad for Chris, man… As far as Stan vs Silva, I’m going to have to go with Brian Stan. Ring rust is a huge factor and Silva will most likely have a difficult time cutting weight due to the fact this was a knee injury. We might see Stan in a main event sooner than later… What “kills” me is, I know it could have been Chris Leben (my fav.185er) on a quick rise to the top.

• BigDave says:

I agree with Liverpunch on this one completely. Leben has been arrested twice for dui since 2008 and for probation violation and served 35 day in jail. then he also has tested posative for PED and suspended for 9 months. on top of that he is 6-6 from the time he fought the spider in 2006. so I don’t give a shit who he calls out, he needs to earn it and so far he has earned nothing at all.

As for wandy vs. stann, this will be a good fight and the first real test for stann. I don’t put to much stock in ring rust and think Wandy is gonna come in in top shape. this will be a stand up war and I think Wandy will be to much for Stann to handle. Wandy by tko rd 2

• stone says:

Quick question for Big Dave n Liverpunch: Do you guys feel like Stan has earned his shot at Wand?… If Leben aint shit, then who else has Stan really beat? I liked the idea of Leben fighting Wand based on his last 2 wins (a-train & Akiyama) & on the style match-up… Like Leben or not, those were some kickass fights. You gotta give credit when credit is due…

• LiverPunch says:

I don’t know about Stann earning a shot at Wanderlei or Wanderlei being a fighter that you need to earn a shot at Stone. I just think Leben is a dick who fights dumb. He pissed on a guys pillow on TV , drives his car tanked , fights dumb and is not what I look for in a fighter. If you are highly skilled and fight to finish but fight smart I’m entertained. If you throw any type of god given talent out the window and just fight to entertain , like Leben and Akiyama , I wont be a fan. I don’t know if I am what you call a purest but I watch all sports in the hope that whoever is competing has the highest desire to compete and win with skill and determination. A guy going out there to “put on a show” like Leben does , is not my thing. I want MMA to be a serious sport and I think Leben or the idea that it has got to be exciting , at the cost of skill and intelligence or true competition, boring and tacky. I understand why Leben is popular and why people want exciting cards but there is a fine line between being entertained by sports and the sport being “sports entertainment”.
    Did I mention Leben was a dick?.

• mma.Australia says:

Well said LiverPunch.

And to all the Bisping haters, for fucks-sake, this isn’t WWE!

Bisping was a sportsperson on TUF, maybe a little arrogant, but nowhere near the misplaced arrogance of other fighters. He didn’t piss on someones pillow, smash things and risk injuring himself or get drunk and act like the kind of trailer-trash that gives Yanks an unfair bad name. He’s a Brit, who’s relatively intelligent and was a winner – albeit smug.

When he fought in Sydney the crowd booed as if he’d bum-raped their sisters! For us though its mainly due to our sporting rivalry here against the Brits… Its unlike any other rivalry here!

I’m looking forward to seeing him fight again – against Stann or Wandy again would be great. Against Stann in the red-neck mid-West would be great spectacle!

• bigbadjohn says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing either Stann or Wandy smash that f**king Bisping’s face. The pompous Brit makes for an easy beacon of hatred, especially with his non-commital fighting style always leading to drawn out decisions.

• MickeyC says:

I’m a Bisbing hater! would you like to know why? He allowed the British judges to help him rob Hamiel, then the coward bolted to 185 with out giving the man a proper rematch.

• MCM says:

not to stir the pot, but it was the American Judges that gave Bisbing the win, the British judge gave it to Hamill.

I see where you’re coming from LP, but I think he takes his career a lot more seriously than most think. He’s got power in both hands, a highly underrated ground game, and, as evidenced by the Akiyama fight, has improved light years ahead of when he was pissing on pillows on TV. The other part of Lebens skill set is his iron chin. Much like Big Nog back in Pride, Chris knows he can take a few shots and still keep coming. At least he used to be able to. Let’s see if he changes it up for his next fight.

I like fighters who entertain. The same way I like football players who entertain, and basketball players who entertain, and soccer players who entertain. But just like in those sports, you have to win on top of not just entertaining. Chris Leben does both and that’s why so many people like him.

(Although he still my be a dick 😉 )

• MickeyC says:

I stand corrected on the judges natioality, but does not change my point. He, like the rest of the world knows Matt won that fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Imo, Stann beats Silva. Silva fights more cautiously than he did in Pride. He probably has to because of age and wear and tear. Stann is younger, probably stronger, and has a better chin. He’s been beaten mostly in brawls where the fists are flying and he gets tagged repeatedly. That’s the way Silva fought when he was younger, but not recently. If Silva throws caution to the wind and mixes it up like he used to, he could overwhelm Stann, but a cautious Silva plays to Stann’s strengths.

• cocoonofhorror says:

anyone who thinks Pissbing has been misrepresented as an asshole needs to take off the clown nose and get serious.

• Creature says:

haha all this talk about bisping brings back memories, of when that “red neck from the midwest” knocked him out completely cold :)

• BigDave says:

you people need to give your heads a shake blaming a fighter because the judges got it wrong is fuckin stupid. Bisping is 20-3 with 12 of those wins coming by ko/tko with 4 sub and 4 decisions. The guy has only ever been stopped 1 time in his career. You may not like his attitude but there is no doubt he is one of the top fighters in the division.

So mickyC and big bad John before you talk shit please come with some fact or you just sound like a moron.

I’m not a huge Bisping fan but I give the dude credit for what he has done and the fact he is willing to fight anyone they stick in front of him.

• bigbadjohn says:

Hey Dave here’s a fact: I hate Bisping. Where is my mention of his talents, record or his accomplishments? I would of course give him credit for lasting in the shark tank that is the UFC. On the other hand, I don’t give you credit for taking this conversation out of context. A lot of people don’t like him, its not a coincidence. And it doesn’t mean we’re morons, moron.

Battle of the “Bigs”….

• Dufresne says:

I too hate Bisping, but he is a talented fighter. He may have gotten the controversial W over Hamill, but he also lost a split decision to Rashad who happens to be the only fighter I hate more than Bisping, so for me it balances out.

As BigDave pointed out Bisping is 20-3 with 16 of his 20 wins being by early stoppage, but I decided to look into it myself to see if his record has been inflated. Nope. Since joining the UFC he’s gone 10-3 with 6 TKO wins and only 4 decision wins, one of which was a split decision, and with 3 of his wins earning Fight of the Night. His only 3 losses were to Rashad (former champion), Henderson (former champion), and Wanderlei (former champion) so I can’t even give him too much grief there.

But as bigbadjohn pointed out, none of that makes me hate him any less. Luckily for me he’s been part of 4 fights that have gone on to win a “____ of the Night” award, and while 3 of them may have been “Fight of the Night” victories, one of them was an absolutely delicious “Knockout of the Night” courtesy of Hendo’s right hand followed by a vicious flying forearm smash.