Mark Hominick in line for UFC title-shot with win over George Roop

Though Mixed Martial Arts is a sport where all guarantees fly out the cage-door as soon as it closes, Dana White has thrown caution to the wind and announced Mark Hominick will have the dubious honor of taking on UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo at UFC 129 in Toronto if he’s able to earn a win against George Roop in a week-and-a-half at Fight Night 23.

White’s statements on the matter confirmed a recent report of the possible scenario from Canadian outlet SportsNet.

However, it’s doubtful Hominick is looking beyond his challenge at this month’s “Fight for the Troops” event scheduled for January 22, as Roop is no pushover in the ring and is coming off a devastating knockout head-kick of “Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung last September. He is 11-6-1 overall with a draw against Leonard Garcia and the bulk of his wins assisted by a solid grappling base.

If Hominick loses, according to White, it’s “back to the drawing board.” However, “The Machine” has emerged with his hands raised in four straight appearances and six of his last seven. The 28-year old most recently outpointed Garcia at WEC 51 and holds past victories over Jorge Gurgel and Yves Edwards. He will also be fighting for more than a title-shot when he faces Roop, as Hominick is an Ontario native meaning he’d earn the opportunity to potentially win gold in front of friends, family, and countrymen at UFC 129.

Aldo will undoubtedly be anxiously awaiting their Fight Night 23 result as well. Sidelined with a neck injury since late last year, the dynamic Brazilian champion watched an expected match-up with Josh Grispi slip away when Grispi was soundly beaten by Dustin Poirier at UFC 125 and is likely looking forward to having a set opponent to prepare for.

PHOTO CREDIT – WEC/UFC

WE’VE HEARD THESE SENTIMENTS BEFORE…. HMMM.

• Dufresne says:

If Hominick wins he’s got as much right to fight for the title as anyone else I can think of. I’m hoping he does mostly so I can see more of Aldo’s standup because it’s simply astounding everytime that kid steps in the ring.

• Guthookd says:

Jodo is going to eat him alive. He might have to chase Hominick around for a while, but it shouldn’t take too long. They might as well make it a 2 on 1 with Jodo facing Hominick and Roop at the same time.

• boomnutz says:

I get Jodo, but never heard that before? You make it up? Serisouly though Jodo’s a beast, until Frankie Edgar shocked the hell out of me, TWICE, I was convinced Jodo would be the only one who would have a shot at beating BJ at 155

• Rich S. says:

Hominick should get past Roop without too many problems.

And before we count him out of the Aldo fight, let’s look at the facts. Hominick has never been knocked out, not by strikes anyway. If anyone in the division has striking that could even hold a candle to Aldo’s, it’s Hominick. If he plays it smart enough, he might actually be able to leave with the belt. I wouldn’t put my money on him, though.

• Guthookd says:

lol…yeah…I made it up Boomnutz.

I think Aldo will train to attack a retreating fighter (Hominick….always back peddling) and he’ll catch him quick. No doubt Mark will try to pick his shots from the outside then dodge back and to one side, but Aldo will be ready for that. I wouldn’t be surprized to see a Jodo headkick end this shit in the first minute.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hominick should be able to get by Roop-I think he will be able to give Also a run for his money-Or at least make it an interesting stand up battle for a couple of rounds

• while i think Hominick is the next best option for JoDo at 145…it still sucks that the grispi thing went they way it did, now we have to wait double long for him to be back in the ring….lame.

• BigDave says:

I’m a fan of both Aldo and Hominick and for one can’t wait to see that fight live. Aldo is definatly a sight to see in the ring one of the most exciting fighters in the game today. Hominick is a solid guy with a great chin and has most of his loses due to submission. That being said Aldo has only got two submissions to his record (one being by soccer kicks) the last one being 5 years ago. So this will al come down to who lands the better strikes, who’s got the better cardio and if it goes to the ground I would give a slight edge to hominick in the sub game.

Great fight all around though and no matter what the outcome the fans will come out winners.