Dan Henderson vs. Rafael Cavalcante expected for March event

As expected after knocking Renato Sobral out two minutes into their match-up in December, Dan Henderson will indeed get a second crack at winning Strikeforce gold with hopes of a different outcome than the one suffered in his promotional debut against Jake Shields. It now appears the double-divisional PRIDE champ also has a date and location linked to his anticipated meeting with 205-pound title-holder Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante.

According to MMAFighting, Cavalcante will put his strap on the line against Henderson in Columbus, Ohio on March 5 assuming paperwork is finalized in time. Both fighters have already agreed to the bout and are training under the belief it will indeed come to fruition on the attached date.

The Brazilian champion, who turned 30 yesterday, has emerged victor in his last three outings including his championship-procuring performance against then-undefeated Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal this past August at “Strikeforce – Houston”. Cavalcante is 10-2 overall with all ten wins coming by way of a strike-based finish even though he is also well-versed in BJJ.

Henderson easily represents the most-experienced opponent “Feijao” has faced thus far in his career. A veteran of nearly 3X as many fights, the 26-8 “Hendo” holds wins over a number of MMA’s brightest stars including Wanderlei Silva, Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira, Rich Franklin, and Vitor Belfort.

Other fights expected for the March 5 card include Strikeforce World Grand Prix quarter-final pairings between Brett Rogers and Josh Barnett, as well as Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum, with Miesha Tate, Tim Kennedy, and Jorge Gurgel also rumored for action at the event.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Guthookd says:

This is a top level card. So glad they decided to get the HW tourney rolling.

Hendo vs. Cavalcante should be a good fight. You know Cavalcante is going to train to circle away from that punch just like everyone who’s going to fight Hendo does….but will he be able to avoid the Hendo bomb. This time there’s no weight cut for Hendo so he shouldn’t gass which will allow him to stalk with that right hand the whole fight. It’s going to be interesting.

• climbarock says:

This fight is hard to pick because Henderson can be a bit inconsistent. He looked like a world beater against Babalu, but he’s also shown up to a couple fights looking out of shape and uninterested (getting outwrestled by Lil Nog back in pride, for example). I still like Hendo in this fight.

I agree Hendo has been running hot and cold but he will eternally have my respect for the Bisping KO… Bisping makes my stomach turn and Hendo made my night with that highlight reel KO.

• Hohlraum says:

Cavalcante is going to sleep.

• Creature says:

and the NEW Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion.. Dan Hendersonnnn! :)

• Guthookd says:

Climbarock – His fights against the Nogueras were gold I thought. It wasn’t until I saw Hendo slither out of like 5 sub attempts in a row (from Big Nog I think) that I really took notice of him in Pride (way before he had Wand’s belt if I remember correctly). It was classic. As fast as Nog could roll for another position Hendo was rolling out of it. He lost that fight but it was grappling eye-candy while it was going down.

• MCM says:

and the NEW Strikeforce Middle Weight Champion…… Dan Hender…wait what happened?

I don’t think Cavalcante can finish Henderson, but I thinks he’s got a better chance of taking the dec, than people are giving him credit for. His striking is better than Sobral’s and he won’t make the same mistake Bisping did. As long as he stays off his back, he may be able to pull of the Dec. by getting in and out landing a few strikes before Hendo can unload that cocked right.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Cavalcante really bullied Mo around the cage-I didn’t realize just how big that dude is-I think Henderson has his hands full with the LHW champ-Should be entertaining-Always like to watch Hendo fight

• MMA-LOGIC says:

In the las 5 years Hendo has beaten 5 of the UFCs top MWs and LHWs (Wanderlei, Bisping, Phalhares, Belfort, Franklin) along with tough opponents like Misaki, Babalu and having a 5 rd war with Rampage. He was easily the no.2 MW in the UFC and would have been a massive threat to A. Silva if they had meet again. I think he may beat Cavalcante and become the SF champion but I hope he doesn’t and Mousasi vs Cavalcante happens soon.

• Dufresne says:

Hendo came out looking like the beast that almost decapitated Bisping in his fight against Shields, but when he didn’t finish him then and there it seemed like he started fading. I know a lot of that is due to the large weight cut he had combined with the fact that cutting weight gets harder and harder on the body as you get older.

Luckily he’s not going to have near the weight cut in this fight, so hopefully that won’t be a problem. He has had one fight at this weight class since his loss to Babalu, but when you render a guy unconcious in less than two minutes it’s kinda hard to gauge your cardio.

• Angry Mike says:

Babalu ain’t the man that he once was, and even at his best he wouldn’t match up well with Henderson. Weight cut or not, I was surprised at the Shields fight, and Henderson’s win over Babalu doesn’t answer all the questions about what will happen in this fight. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Henderson loses by decision.