Anthony Pettis won’t wait, rumored for clash with Clay Guida

There are certain qualities all successful fighters possess beyond physical characteristics like strength, speed, and endurance. One of the necessary elements is holding absolute confidence in yourself; a genuine belief your overall abilities are not only superior to your immediate foe but those of any you’ll face. Anthony Pettis is such a competitor.

While it would have been understandable to most if “Showtime” had opted to sit out until UFC 155-pound champion Frank Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard resolve their trilogy in hopes of capitalizing on the title-shot Pettis earned with a win over Ben Henderson at WEC 53, the soon-to-be 23-year old appears to instead be strapping up for action in May or June and won’t be looking for an easy road to the belt. In fact, it appears he’ll be facing one of the UFC’s toughest tests – Clay Guida.

News of the match-up and targeted dates was reported by ESPN. The events coordinating with the time-frame are UFC 130 and UFC 131.

Guida is coming off a submission win over Takanori Gomi at UFC 125, his third consecutive victory in the Octagon. Known for his granite-chin, grappling, and frenetic pace in the cage, “The Carpenter” is 28-11 in his career and has found success against a number of respected adversaries including Mac Danzig, Nate Diaz, and Josh Thomson. If the bout comes to fruition he will by far represent the most difficult draw of Pettis’ three-year journey in Mixed Martial Arts.

The Duke Roufus-trained product is 13-1 with his only loss being a split decision to Bart Palaszewski in December 2009. In addition to Henderson, Pettis also holds victories over Shane Roller, Danny Castillo, and Alex Karalexis.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Funny how many people were calling for this match. Should be a good one

• Dufresne says:

The fight should be fun to watch, but I don’t think Pettis should have taken it.

This may sound like I’m saying that Pettis should take the coward’s way out, but taking a fight instead of just waiting for his promised title shot is dumb. What happens if he loses? The LW division is absolutely filled to the gills with talent including a ton of young guys that can make cases for getting a title shot, so it’s not guaranteed that anyone will get a second chance at the belt (unless you fight to a draw).

This is MMA, anything could happen. Pettis could make one mistake against Guida (or whoever he get’s matched up with) and never see another title fight for the rest of his life. Or worse. He could get injured and never even make it back into contention.

Sure, sitting out and waiting for his turn is the easy, boring route, but it’s also the only one guaranteed to get him to a title fight.

• MCM says:

I would still rather see Pettis fight Sherk than have either Guida or him derailed at this point. But at least it’s gonna be an exciting fight.

• stone says:

Good fight… Since when has the WEC and the UFC unified belts anyways?… I know Anthony is good but, I really don’t think he’s UFC title shot ready. I say he starts off somewhere on the top of the middle shelf and work his way up. In other words, take the Carlos Condit approach to this transition…

• bigbadjohn says:

I understand the Rashad route (waiting for your shot) but I think Pettis jas many reasons to accept this fight. One, he’s virtually faceless to most UFC fans – even with that incredible kick being shown on every sports highlight package since it happened. Two, he goes head to head with a fan favorite which means lots of views, and of course he would get more notoriety from finishing the relentless Guida. Three, MONEY. He’s probably in line for a raise now that the WEC has dissolved and waiting for Edgar Maynard 2’s resolve could be (will be) a long period of time without a fight paycheque. ANNNND a fight with Guida has $60k bonus written all over it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like this fight for Pettis as he has shown very solid takedown defense and scrambling, a great chin, and honestly Guida probably is closer to the middle of the pack power wise and with Anthoneys power he should be able to keep Clay wary of coming in close. A very winnable fight for both guys and should be a lot of fun. On a side note I read Florian was calling for this fight and am happy he didnt get it as Pettis deserves someone on the way up.

• Angry Mike says:

There’s no clear answer as to whether Pettis or Guida should take the fight. Guia could say that Pettis has to prove himself before Guida should fight him. Pettis could stay on the sidelines because his next fight is supposed. To be for the belt. As a fan, I’m really enthusiastic about this match up. Definite fight of the night potential.

• I agree with stone. If Carlos didn’t get a title shot then it doesn’t make sense Pettis getting a title shot either although I do say that any title holder from another in the light org should get a title shot right away.

Given what happened to Carlos Condit, I think this is fare and Pettis can beat Guida.

I personally was calling for this fight… It’s a win win all around and a great match up. Im a fan of both but This is the type of fight that makes even the loser shine.

• twyg says:

I like this fight, and it has fight of the night written all over it. I am a bit confused as to why Pettis is risking a title shot though. If he wins he gets a bit of a bigger profile and that’s it. If he loses good bye title shot. Who then is next in line for a shot at the Frankie/Grey winner? By the way those fights will be on the same card. George has an argument to make; as does Jim Miller. If Guida finishes Pettis he has a great argument as well as being a more known and popular fighter then the other two mentioned above. On a completely different topic; Brock and Dos Santos will be the coaches on the next season of TUF. They will fight around June or July, and the winner gets Cain when he comes back from the injury.

• JOEgun says:

I got Pettis in this one.

**BROCK LESNAR AND JUNIOR DOS SANTOS WILL BE THE TUF 13 COACHES AND WILL THROW DOWN IN JUNE FOR THE NEXT TITLE SHOT!!**

• Rich S. says:

Normally, I don’t like these decisions. With a loss, he could go from a guaranteed title fight to potentially never making his way back to the shot.

But, Pettis is a serious competitor and he’s just clever enough to find an answer for Clay’s style.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Way to go Pettis!!-What a true fighter-I think Pettis should be able to stop Guida within three by sub

• climbarock says:

Good on ya, Pettis. MMA is not boxing, and contenders don’t need to be 20-0 to get a shot at the belt. MMA is much less predictable because of the wider range of techniques allowed, and a loss, even several losses, isn’t the end of a fighter’s title contention. Even if Pettis loses, 3 more solid wins and he’s right back in the picture. And, he’s only 23 years old! All that being said, I think this is a good stylistic matchup for Pettis given that Guida’s standup is certainly the weakest part of his game.

• k-class says:

I understand that being a Pettis discussion that everyone is expressing why he shouldnt risk a title shot, but for me, i got to route for Guida here, man does this guy deserve to wear a belt round his waste, not because he got 18 billion hits on you tube, nor cause he is the most skilled, but because of his heart, this guy makes me smile, and i would just love to see him coming out his camper van first thing in the morning with his dressing gown on, his morning hair and a belt round his waist, hahahaha, bet he would sleep with it on. Pettis is smooth, no doubt, and he can brawl and pull some of the sickest kicks, but its a game plan everyone in the UFC will be waiting for, and why not lets all see if he can get past guida, cause in all fairness, if he doesnt, he shouldnt be getting a title shot anyway!

• Dufresne says:

How could you tell the difference between his morning hair and his regular hair?

I get where you’re coming from though, the guy is fun to watch and seems like a genuinely fun guy to be around. I wouldn’t mind at all if Guida ended up with a belt someday. Heck, if he beats Pettis, does that mean he’ll get a shot at it?