Bellator deepens middleweight pool with signing of Joe Riggs

Bellator Fighting Championships has added the talents of Joe “Diesel” Riggs to their Season 4 line-up after finalizing a deal with the 28-year old over the weekend. Riggs holds an overall record of 34-11 and possesses past victories over Chris Lytle, Kendall Grove, and Nick Diaz. Bellator Season 4 airs on MTV2 in March 2011.

News of Riggs’ signing was announced in an official press release.

“Joe is a battle-tested veteran who brings it in every fight. He is a great addition to our middleweight division, and I’m looking forward to seeing Joe in action during Season 4,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney.

Riggs also expressed excitement at the thought of mixing it up with the company’s ever-expanding group of 185-pounders, saying, “Bellator has a lot of well-rounded, talented guys in their middleweight division – guys like Bryan Baker, Eric Schambari, and of course the Middleweight Champion, Hector Lombard. There are some really good middleweights for me to test myself against, and it was one of the reasons I came to Bellator.”

“This is the healthiest and the happiest that I can ever remember being in my life,” he continued. “I’m in the prime of my life, I’m injury-free, and things have just really come together in my life. I just can’t wait to show everyone what I have.”

The UFC/Strikeforce veteran has emerged successful in six of his last seven fights including back-to-back bouts against Louis Taylor and Trent Thorne in his most recent appearances. Thirty-one of his thirty-four total wins have remarkably come by way of a finishing performance with almost a near-even split in method (15 submissions, 16 TKOs).

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Angry Mike says:

I hope his luck turns around for him. There won’t be any easy fights for him. Baker and Lombard are both formidable.

• Dufresne says:

Riggs is frustratingly inconsistent. He’ll look impressive for a string of fights and then it seems like he just forgets to train for a fight. Hopefully he’ll get everything under control and make a comeback.

• MCM says:

I was really shocked to see Coker let go of both Riggs and Hieron, glad to see Bellator recognized their talent and was able to pick up both of them.
    I like Riggs better at 185. He was huge for a WW and making the cut always seamed to hurt his performance. I also always forget how young he is. If he could find a solid camp and really get pushed to his limits, I believe he could be one of the best in world.

• MickeyC says:

hard to think he started fighting at over 350 pounds.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hate to disagree with you MCM but I dont think any camp in te world can make Riggs even a top 10 WW. With all the injuries he has gone through and his inconsistencies I belive we have seen the last of his competitive MMA carear.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Well he looked great on Bully Beatdown Best of luck to you Riggs

• MCM says:

You might be right fanoftna33. But what could Greg Jackson or Xtreme Couture do with him? He’s had a ton of personal problems (losing a child, being 300+lbs as a teenager), but most of that seems to be behind him now. He was able to work up to a title fight against Hughes training mostly on his own, I just wonder what would happen if he let someone mold him properly. If he showed up at Randy’s tomorrow and really put the time and effort in, I could see him challenging for a UFC belt by the time he’s 33.

Either that, or his best days are behind him and he’ll go the Jeff Monson route.

I also forget Riggs is still under 30 although a veteran in the game, perhaps it’s the seafoam green tats that make him look old?!?

JK…This is another good for BFC.