9-0 Olympian Rick Hawn confirmed for Bellator Season 4 Welterweight Tournament

Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that supremely talented judoka Rick Hawn, who competed in 2004 at the Olympics in Athens, will throw his name into the mix this March during the promotion’s upcoming welterweight tournament with hopes of earning an opportunity to face current divisional champion, a fellow Olympian, Ben Askren.

“Rick was incredibly impressive in his first fight with Bellator, and is a perfect fit for our Welterweight Tournament,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “This tournament is shaping up to be one of our most competitive and talent-rich yet and I can’t wait to see who will be facing Askren for our world championship after all is said and done.”

The undefeated Hawn doesn’t seem phased by the structure of what’s to come based on his experience in the sport where he previously made a name for himself.

“I’m definitely used to the tournament format due to my background in Judo,” he explained. “I’ve been competing in Judo competitions for many years with a very similar structure, so I’m definitely used to it, and I’m looking forward to doing it again.”

“I’m looking forward to possibly getting the chance to fight Ben for the championship,” Hawn continued. “He’s an Olympian, an incredible athlete, and the next time we see him I’m sure he’s going to have improved tremendously. I think a fight between us would be a great clash of styles and I don’t think two true Olympians have ever fought in the history of MMA.”

Joining Hawn in the tournament thus far are Dan Hornbuckle, Chris Lozano, Jim Wallhead, Brent Weedman, and Steve Carl with two more names expected to be officially revealed in the coming weeks (one of which should be former welterweight champ Lyman Good). Seven of Hawn’s nine total wins have come by way of TKO including an impressive performance against LeVon Maynard at Bellator 33 in October.

PHOTO CREDIT – Bellator

• Dufresne says:

Hell. Yes.

Great signing by BFC. It’s kinda unusual to see an Olympic judoka with 7 of his 9 wins by TKO, and that makes me like this guy a lot.

I’m really looking forward to next season already.

• Guthookd says:

“(one of which should be last year’s losing finalist Lyman Good). ”
    -BrenCon

Wasn’t Good the champ already? I thought Ben took the title from him after winning the tourney. Hmm. Maybe my attention was focused on the size of Ben’s broken nose after the fight was over. That was a nasty little chunk of flesh he had swelling up where his sniffer once was.

Anyway, this is a good signing. I hope the tournament turns out to be competitive enough to justify me switching cable providers to get MTV2.

• Guthookd says:

BTW, who did Hawn fight last season? I can’t remember it. Did they air it on FSN?

I refuse to go find out for my self….LOL.

• LiverPunch says:

Anyone know if BFC is still up the proverbial creek as far as TV deals and money goes. Iread this just recently.

“Bjorn Rebney has given away a substantial portion of his share in Bellator away to investors solely for them not to ‘pull the plug’ on Bellator. Hence, one of the reasons why Bjorn has been pushing for an Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez fight is to not only garnish interest for Bellator, but if Eddie defeats Gilbert, Bjorn can then use that as leverage for his investors.”

If this is true I would think the fight between Eddie and Gilbert wont happen unless Bellator agrees to be real nice to Coker. I hear that BFC , Dream and WVR may fold. Strikeforce and the UFC may be bidding big time soon.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yeah, Good was champ prior to Askren winning it. I can see how my phrasing was confusing though so I fixed it. Thanks!

• Guthookd says:

Liverpunch: I’ve heard those same rumers, but Bjorn denies they and I hope he’s telling the truth.

To answer your question, yes, they got a deal with MTV2 for the 2011 season. It’s a 3 year deal I guess, so you better get MTV2. Supposedly they won’t have any problems with being pushed off the broadcast schedule due to high school sports, as with FSN.

I’m really looking forward to the this next season. Starts in March I’m told.

• Dufresne says:

As long as MTV2 doesn’t decide to not show the events like FSN did, I don’t really mind which channel it’s on. And I’m really hoping that the rumors of financial difficulties are just that, rumors. BFC puts on great shows and always includes local talents in their events, I would hate to see them fade before they get a solid footing in the game.