Georges St. Pierre defending title in Toronto against Jake Shields on April 30

UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre will put his belt on the line again while once again surrounded by the comfy confines of a Canadian crowd, as UFC President Dana White has publicly confirmed the popular title-holder is facing Jake Shields on April 30 in Toronto. UFC 129 will mark the promotion’s debut in Ontario and is expected to draw the largest audience ever in North America for a Mixed Martial Arts event.

St. Pierre’s previous in-ring outing came in Montreal, a dominating decision win over Josh Koscheck last month at UFC 124, and played a major role in drawing more than 23,000 fans to the Bell Centre to set the current record for attendance. “Rush” improved his record to 21-2 with the performance, his eighth straight victory in the Octagon.

Comparably, his challenger at UFC 129 has nearly doubled GSP’s streak of consecutive wins, as the former Strikeforce middleweight champ has emerged with his hands raised fifteen straight times including success against Dan Henderson, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Paul Daley, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Robbie Lawler, and of course Martin Kampmann in his UFC debut last October. Shields is 26-4-1 overall in his career with only a single loss by way of a finishing performance. He has not lost in more than six years.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I think GSP will get the W..BUT I would like to see Shields switch things up and possibly try and give a new look… GSP will be well prepared and If Shields could provide a different game plan than usual maybe this could be an exciting fight but I’m still not sure how this will play out… I’m trying really hard to be excited for this match up but it’s just not doing it for me right now.

• Dreadedfistofthenorthwest says:

Why does the UFC give credit to Shields for the fights he had in another promotion? He beat Kampmann who I think is an excellent fighter, but if I’m John Fitch I’m pulling my hair out. He has to go through another stiff test in BJ Penn, while Shields gets parachuted into a title shot. This fight is about PPV buys and not what’s best in terms of matchmaking for the division. If I didn’t know better I would swear the UFC is trying to piss Fitch off until he leaves.

• fanoftna33 says:

Finally one of thoes match ups that has looked great on paper for years. Hopefully Sheilds makes the most of his time to really get into shape. As for his last fight, yes he was gassed pretty badly but he had no trouble vs Henderson going 5 rounds so I dont think his cardio will be a issue here.

Dreadedfist- It’s all about the Benjamins…not about whats best for Fitch.

• Angry Mike says:

Fitch already lost to GSP in 2008, and Shields held the title in another org. You can easily make a case for Shields fighting GSP before Fitch 2.0 regardless of PPV buys or money. If Fitch keeps winning, he’ll get another shot.

• bigbadjohn says:

50-45, 50-45, 50-45, 50-45 and 50-45 for the unanimous Decision…. and still the welterweight champion of the world…

• Niv says:

Dreadedfistofthenorthwest, why wouldn’t he get credit for his wins in another organization? All you have to do is look at the names and they speak for themselves, if you can’t see that you need to take the blinders off.

The Kampmann fight was his first at 170lbs in several years, he had to cut a lot of weight and he gassed in that fight, but still won. The guy whether you like his style or not is a very accomplished fighter and will be as tough a test as GSP will have faced in the past two years. Considering GSP’s past two defenses were against Koscheck and Hardy, I can’t understand how anyone can have a problem with this matchup.

• Dufresne says:

Shields dominated Henderson for 4 rounds like no one has ever done before. Shields is on a 15 fight win streak and hasn’t lost since the end of 2004. Shields has only been finished once in his career, and that was in his 3rd professional fight. And Shields is the only elite level grappler left in the WW division that GSP hasn’t already clowned. He’s also the only the 3rd (after BJ and Serra) elite level grappler that GSP has faced that poses any threat off his back, and he’s the 1st that isn’t a natural LW.

I have no problem with this fight, but I really don’t see Shields pulling it off. Shields may be a dangerous ground fighter, but his standup sucks. And that’s being nice about it.

People focus on the fact that GSP has been using his grappling to win fights lately, but they tend to forget that he came into MMA as a striker, and a damn good one at that. He’s getting a bit more recognition for that since he broke Koscheck’s skull with a jab lately, but that’s nowhere near his entire arsenal. I’m pretty sure that one of the main reason’s he used the jab so much against Kos is because he knew that Kos is one of the few wrestlers that was capable of getting him on the ground if he got close enough (and he did) and he was mostly using it to keep distance.

I’m sure Shields can get GSP to the ground at some point, but after watching Kampmann standup almost at will and avoid every submission attempt like that I don’t think GSP will ever be in any danger if he does. I see GSP keeping his distance again, possibly landing a takedown or two, possibly getting hit with a takedown or two, and probably ending up with a decision.

But, and here’s a shocker, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see GSP TKO Shields later in the fight.
    Yeah, his last fight was his first in a long time at 170, but he gassed terribly after just the 1st round. I don’t think he’s going to have the time to improve his cardio and overall conditioning to the point of being able to keep up with GSP into the 4th or 5th rounds. And I think that’s when he’ll drop his hands and get his clock cleaned.

• MCM says:

Kos was a wrestler so GSP out struck him.
    Hardy was a striker so GSP out wrestled him.
    Alves was a striker so GSP out wrestled him.
    BJ is well rounded but out struck GSP the first time so GSP out wreslted him.
    Fitch is a wrestler so GSP out struck him.
    Shields is a wrestler so I think I can guess what GSP is gonna do.

I see this fight going a lot like the Fitch fight without Jake holding up so well. GSP will keep it standing and just beat the piss out of Shields on the feet for 5 full rounds or until Jake collapses on the mat.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Shieds is a better grappler than anyone in the UFC WW division.
    GSP has his work cut out for him. There is no mystery as to what Shields is going to do but GSP is not the best wrestler or striker Shields has faced and his former opponents that knew exactly what Jake was gonna do couldn’t stop it and they were bigger than GSP and just as decorated. Guys like Hendo, Okami, Lawler, Condit, Kampman, Miller and “the Goat”. Although GSP is undoubtedly the best fighter Shields has ever faced, Shields is going to be the best grappler GSP has ever faced and I think he will also be his biggest challenge.

• TerribleT says:

What’s with all these ppl being butt hurt cuz Fitch isn’t getting another title shot B4 Shields? How many ppl really wanna see Fitch/GSP II instead of GSP vs.Shields? Not very damn many,that’s for sure. Fitch/GSP II will happen anyway sooner or later now just isn’t the time bcuz this fight generates more interest at the present and more interest usually means more ca$h in the UFC’s pockets.

• Alright Logic I agree with the rest of your list but Lawler and the Goat as in Nick Thompson? Please, that’s the guy who got MAULED by Karo. I dont think he stands out against Fitch, Penn, Kos, Hughes, or even Serra for that matter as far as being decorated. Robbie’s a nasty striker, but drag him to the ground and he’s toast.

Once again as previously stated Shields is looking to drag GSP to the mat and do what he does best. Shield’s conditioning is downright insane as evidenced by his five rounders with Hendo(not to mention surviving that barrage in the 1st) and Mayhem so once he gets adapted to walkin around ready for 170 I dont think that’s the issue. GSP is gonna have to sprawl like never before and use his speed to keep Shields off of him. If GSP can hang in there for the first two, Jake just might gas and GSP can turn the tide on him but if the former 185 lb SF champ gets GSP on his back in the first two minutes i have a feeling he’ll snatch a limb and it’ll be curtains for Canada’s finest.

After this I really hope to see Condit come away with the W over Lytle and get the shot. I truly think he’d be GSP’s nastiest challenge for 3 reasons
    1) he’s NEVER out of a fight as witnessed by his comebacks over Miura(sp?) MacDonald and most notably Ellenberger( I thought he was out i really did)
    2) Five rounds is nothing to him he’s used to it.
    3) Greg Jackson….and this one is a variable due to GSP also normally being cornered by him. but GSP is only cornered and occasionally trained by Jackson, and if the best gameplanner in the business decides to corner The Natural Born Killer…who better to formulate a plan to take out GSP?

Just an observation I’ve been looking to put on here for awhile.