Cain Velasquez out until at least mid-2011 with torn rotator cuff

UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez has been forced to put off his attempt at running his record to double-digits due to a torn rotator cuff suffered in his title-winning bid against Brock Lesnar at UFC 121. The 9-0 Velasquez will be sidelined for 6-8 months as a result of the injury, meaning his bout against top contender Junior Dos Santos is no longer an option for April as had been rumored.

News of Velasquez’s status was first reported by MMAFighting with MMAJunkie confirming the exact nature of the affliction shortly thereafter in a conversation with trainer Javier Mendez.

The undefeated champion ascended from highly-touted prospect to title-holder with an impressive showing in 2010 featuring a first-round knockout of Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira in February followed up by his dominant showing against then champ Lesnar in October. In addition to the pair of wins, Velasquez has also emerged with his hands raised against respected adversaries like Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo. Six of the All-American wrestler’s nine total victories have occurred by way of TKO/KO in the opening frame of the fight.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Niv says:

Well that’s a shame, I was really hoping to see Cain vs Dos Santos which I think will be a very exciting fight.

I hope he gets well and is ready because I expect Dos Santos to be his toughest test by far in the UFC.

• JOEgun says:

this sucks!! oh well.

i agree Dos Santos should be his toughest test for sure.

I wonder who JDS will fight in the meantime. Any ideas?

Who wants to bet there’s an interim title in the works… 6 – 8 months easily becomes a year.

• stone says:

JDS aint gonna be his toughest test thus far! Please… He got thru the toughest test (Brock)… Take you some time off Cain! You deserve it after that 55 gallon drum of whoopass you dumped on Brock the Cock! If anyone should be considered a tough test it’s SHANE CARWIN!

• fanoftna33 says:

No way they make a interim title for this injury. I hope Dos Santos spends the time wisely because if he can keep this fight standing and has built up his endurance he has a great chance at becoming the new HW champ.

Univ. of Maryland’s Orthopaedics dept.

Patients are not allowed to lift their arm on their own for the first 4-6 weeks following surgery because that would compromise the integrity of the repair. By 4-6 weeks following surgery the repair gains strength and the patient can begin to lift the arm and initiate some strengthening exercises. By 3 months following surgery most patients can lift between 5-10 pounds overhead. Strengthening exercises continue. By 6 months post-operatively most patients have regained approximately 80 percent of strength. It is important to continue with strengthening exercises after this time. Studies show that gains in strength continue over a two-year time period following surgery.

Yep Interim title here we come… give it 3 mos. when it seems like the champ can’t make it back in time DW will gladly stir some shit in the HW division. Title fights sell PPV’s not sidelined champs.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would put money on this one.
    Shogun was sidelined for quite some time- estimates of up to a year and no mention of a interim belt came out. The ufc tried it and DW says it need to be a extream case for another interim title to come out. Even if he is out for 8 months that could still give Cain 2 fights next year so I dont see any worry from the UFC here.

Yeah it’s pretty extreme case when they run out of title fights for PPV’s… let’s see…

Silva is fighting Vitor in Feb.
    GSP just fought 5 rounds and will fight probably in April
    Frankie is fighting this weekend,
    Shogun is hurt,
    Cruz just fought,
    Aldo was supposed to fight this weekend he is hurt
    now Cain is hurt…….

Straps sell PPV’s… we don’t have to bet $ we will simply see what happens.
    But my gut feeling is if Cain can’t be back by month 8 there will be an interim belt.

• fanoftna33 says:

Lets think about another interim title first off who gets to fight for it?
    JDS for sure but against who????
    Mir again- no way. Maybe they could talk Randy into it but even that is a long shot..
    Carwin is out with the back injury. Kong just isnt anywhere near ready. Lesner just lost .
    All I see with creating a interim belt is new problems, a interim belt is fine and good but you need a complete roster to pull it off and with people hurt-losing -or in contract problems(Roy Nelson) they just dont have the fighters to pull it off.
    Now if they could pull in Fedor right now Id be all for a interim title.

• Angry Mike says:

Look at you, Dr. (Rece) Rock!. Time to update the moniker.

• MCM says:

That’s exactly what I was typing fanoftna33.
    Mir is the only one not coming off a loss and unless they want to throw Schaub in there after the CroCop fight there really is no one else that JDS hasn’t already beaten.

• fanoftna33 says:

Thats because we see the big picture MCM (at least I hope I do).
    Not to say a interim title is always a bad thing, just in this case it makes no sense anyway you look at it

So I guess it makes sense to keep one of the UFCs most exciting divisions stagnant??

• fanoftna33 says:

How is it stagnant? If JDS wants to fight he can, the Iceman did it even though he was gaurenteed a title shot he fought Sobral. Just because Cain cant fight doesnt mean the whole HW division is stagnant. Is the champ (who like I said will still get in 2 fights in 2011 most likely) the only guy in the HW division people want to see???
    Put Lesnar in against nelson. Let JDS take Kongo to school. Stuve vs mir would be great. Put Brendan Schuab vs the winner of any of thoes fights and you have another great match. Carwin comes back in about 4 months.
    Damm if all you care about is thet belt I feel bad for you.

• mu_shin says:

Rece: That sounds like a reasonable protocol for normal humans, but professional athletes have a way of redefining those types of predictive assumptions. Who was it just a few weeks ago, an NFL quarterback played in a game less than two weeks after an appendectomy?? No doubt a rotator cuff repair requiring surgery is a serious affair that will demand months of recuperation and rehabilitation, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Cain is ready to rock within an eight month time frame, barring complications.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

They are allowed to take PEDs to heal are they not?.
    He will be back before you can say Chael Sonnen.
    I hope Dos Santos fights between now and then. It just seems wrong that a guy gets a title shot with out facing anyone who is even remotely in the mix. I do think he is a great prospect but Lesnar vs Dos Santos or Carwin vs Dos Santos with the winner to face Valasquez in the 2nd half of 2011 would be better.
    I know it is hard to organize and the UFC has to bring through new contenders but even though I think Dos Santos is a very good fighter I would like to see him face at least 1 top 10er before he contends for the most recognized title in MMA, Carwin was forced to through Brock’s injury and perhaps this will be Dos Santos’s chance to do so.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dammit looks like Rece rock is right, I read JDS is going to fight for the interim title very soon, although no opponent is named and for the life of me i cant think of a singlr HW fighter worthy of the shot right now.

• boomnutz says:

i don’t see how they can do an interim title, the reports have to be wrong, plus I read the other day DW will not do interim titles as long as he has a time table on his fighters’ return…And there’s no one to fight…

I’m perplexed

• boomnutz says:

oh btw, PEDs are illegal regardless but they can get away with them mad easy if they’re not fighting