Nick Diaz signs multi-fight extension with Strikeforce

Fans anxious to see Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz follow teammate Jake Shields to the Octagon will have to wait a little longer, as the company he currently calls home has issued a press release stating the 27-year old has elected to extend his professional relationship with Strikeforce. Though no specific terms were provided the official statement labeled the agreement as a “multi-year” deal.

“I’m looking forward to continuing my career with Strikeforce,” said the Cesar Gracie student. “When I first got here, there weren’t a lot of great 170-pound fighters for me to fight, but that’s definitely changed. There are a lot of really good fighters in the division now and I’m ready to fight anyone who thinks they can beat me.”

Diaz has found success his last eight fights including victories in Strikeforce over K.J. Noons, Frank Shamrock, Scott Smith, and Marius Zaromskis. He is currently scheduled to put his welterweight strap on the line against Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos on January 29 in San Jose, the second title-defense of his run as champion.

As a result, he is an individual MMA enthusiasts have been clamoring to see in the UFC again since parting ways with the company after a three-year stint in the mid-2000s. During his stretch in the Octagon, Diaz rose to fame with a mixture of his unique personality, fearless style, and a series of highly-entertaining scraps against Robbie Lawler, Karo Parisyan, Diego Sanchez, Joe Riggs, and Josh Neer. However, the two parties professional parted ways based on issues unrelated to in-ring ability including Diaz’s behavior outside of competition (open marijuana use and a post-fight brawl in the hospital with Riggs being two examples).

• stone says:

Good move SF!… Nick Diaz is one of the only reasons I watch SF! Set up Diaz vs Lawler2 already!

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I don’t see Diaz vs. Lawler 2 happening, though it would be fun, because it doesn’t seem realistic for Lawler to drop down enough to satisfy Diaz’s demands (like with “Mayhem”).

It was a nesassary for move SF… and the ONLY move for Diaz, seriously where else state side is he going?

• MCM says:

“When I first got here, there weren’t a lot of great 170-pound fighters for me to fight, but that’s definitely changed. There are a lot of really good fighters in the division now and I’m ready to fight anyone who thinks they can beat me.” – Diaz

BWAAA- HA HA HA! Way to tow the company line Nick.

Seriously though, I think Diaz and SF are perfect for each other. Sure I would love to see him fight actual top WW’s, and I’ve listed before the ones not in the UFC that would be good, but right now Nick Diaz is the top draw fighter on SF’s roster (possibly only Fedor is higher). He’s a HUGE fish in a relatively small pond and moving to the UFC would only diminish the stardom he has now. Plus it’s a big plus for him to constantly be fighting in front of a hometown crowd, what fighter doesn’t want that (I’m looking at you GSP).

well said.

• elkymbo says:

I would love strikeforce if it wasn’t for Mauro Ranallo. God damn he sucks balls.

Hey elkymbo what do you think of Quadros? Personally I can’t listen or look at that guy…

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Renallo is a hit or miss with me-at times he comes off as obnoxious at best-on other notes he brings a latin like soccer enthusiam to otherwise lame mma events-would i miss him-yes-can I live without him-yes-the jury is still out-oh yeah-what was the article originally about=Nick Diaz is Strikeforce at this point in time-he should fight Lawlor-Daley-Henderson-Cung-make it happen captain

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Who gave me a thumbs down?-show your face

• hindsightufuk says:

i must be missing something, other than daley and bear who else is there?
    a fight with some of the bellator guys would have been so much more entertaining, imagine vs hornbuckle, askern or good, now those i’d be pumped for

• Angry Mike says:

I’ve got nothing to say on this one. MCM and Elkymbo finished it off.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Colhan, you make it sound like Diaz fighting at 180, 179, 178 against MWs is him demanding something unreasonable. Perhaps those MWs should fight some one their own size then. Just a thought. I think that is why we have weight classes?. But for those who think Diaz is being unreasonable, tell me what catch weights has GSP, Fitch, Hughes, Alves and co fought at? perhaps their catch weight fights against top MW fighters can give us some sort of guideline as to what is fair. I’m sure such highly decorated WWs would have fought many times at 185 and 160 in the prime of their careers also. Actually none of them have!!!? aww come on! don’t be scared hommies. Ohh sorry Fitch fought at MW 5-6 years ago, about the same time that Mayhem and Lawler were WWs.
    I don’t mind this too much. It would be nice to see him fight against UFC fighters but they are heavily restricted by ZUFFA contracts and are unable to fight outside of their company so that can’t happen. For the next 2 years Diaz can fight 3 times a year and have enough opponents to keep him occupied.
    Vs Santos
    Vs Noons
    Vs Misvidal
    Vs Daley
    Vs Woodley
    Vs Chonan
    and perhaps being able to fight Bahadurzada, Mayhem, Askren, Zaromskis, Alessio, Smith, Hornbuckle, Heiron, LAWLER and others out side of the UFC. It is not perfect but a clot can happen in 2 years and although they are not all considered “the best in the world” the opponents available are of a high quality. If it wasn’t for the UFC’s reluctance to allow it’s fighters to fight outside of the UFC there would be more options for both parties. Maybe then GSP could grow some balls and fight mayhem at 183. 😉

• elkymbo says:

Back to the commentary thing. Yes Rece Quadros sucks and is just plain awful. Replace the whole team with Bas Rutten and Michael Schiavello and strikeforce becomes an instant hit!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I’m sorry did I say something that wasn’t true?. Please if I am wrong about something let me know.
    He is not going to Bellator or the UFC, is that a surprise? and he does have Woodley, Daley and Noons after his fight with Santos, plus he has a possible match up with Mayhem. So that is 5 fights. If he fights as often as Belfort, Carwin and Rothwell that is the next 4-5 years covered. No but seriously, he does have more than just his next fight to worry about. Nearly every WW out of the UFC and a few MWs and LWs will be gunning for him, so I am not terribly worried about Diaz not having good opponents.