Chuck Liddell announces retirement from MMA

The end of an era became official earlier today when iconic light-heavyweight Chuck Liddell announced he was hanging up his gloves for good at a press conference related to this weekend’s upcoming UFC event. However, while Liddell closed one chapter of his life with the news, he quickly followed it up by mentioning he’d opened a new one by accepting a position in the company as Executive Vice President of Business Development.

“I want to thank Frank, Lorenzo, and Dana for everything they’ve done for me over the years and for the sport. Most of all, I want to thank my fans, my family,” said an emotional Liddell. “I love this sport and I’m excited going into a new stage in my life and keep promoting the best sport in the world and the sport I love. They’re giving me the opportunity again to keep promoting and keep doing stuff now that I’m retired.”

Liddell’s run in the UFC was well-documented, as he rose to become not only one of the sport’s most dominating, but recognizable, competitors, as well as the company’s 205-pound champion with wins over Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, and Renato Sobral.

The 41-year old “Iceman” walks away from Mixed Martial Arts with a 21-8 record in more than a decade of activity. Five of his eight total losses occurred over his last six fights with the one exception being a highly memorable encounter with Wanderlei Silva ironically taking place three years to the day of his retirement. Appropriately, their scrap was named the event’s “Fight of the Night”.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

about time you old hoagie-seriously you are one of the greatest ass kickers I have ever seen-ALL RESPECT DUE IN FULL

• ByronGiant says:

Did… not see that coming

• 3OAM says:

Executive Vice President of Business Development, C. David Liddell

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He was not to know but it is 3 years overdue.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

what’s up with all the hate

• JOEgun says:

geez, some guys are harsh. Although his losses are freshest in our minds, lets thank Chuck for the entertaining fights he gave us. Whether they win or lose, I always have respect for the guys who put their well being on the line for my entertainment.

Chuck is the man… and now has a job we all wish we had.

• Angry Mike says:

Say what you want about White, he seems to take care of his friends. He gave Couture a cush job after Couture retired, too. Hopefully Liddell is a little more appreciative than Couture was.

• LiverPunch says:

Would be nice if in the future they had an awards night for all of MMA and had awards named after guys like Chuck.
    You could have the Couture medal for winning against the odds, the Liddell award for best striker, the GSP for most outstanding athlete and the Emelianenko for fighter of the year.
    We could also have the less prestigious Kalib Starnes award. I would have put Anderson Silva in there but a dancing award on an MMA night is not all that appropriate.