Bellator signs undefeated heavyweight Ron Sparks to long-term agreement

PRESS RELEASE / CHICAGO, Ill. (December 28, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships today announced the signing of fast-rising heavyweight knockout artist Ron “The Monster” Sparks to an exclusive long-term promotional agreement. The hard-hitting Sparks earned his spot on the Bellator roster with a devastating 50 second knockout of the previously undefeated Greg Maynard during Bellator 30 in September. Sparks will take part in Bellator‘s next heavyweight tournament, slated to take place in 2011.

The 6’4”, 265 lbs. Louisville native owns a flawless 6-0 professional record with an astounding 83 knockout percentage (five TKO or KOs and one decision.) Wasting no time in the cage, all five of Sparks ‘ combined KOs amount to a total time of just three minutes and 14 seconds.

“I want to be like Mike Tyson was in the 1980’s,” said Sparks . “I’m coming in there to knock you out, and that’s just the way I’m going to come. I’m coming in there to rip your head off. I want to catch them on the chin and be done with them.”

“With his devastating knockout power, natural strength and athleticism, Ron Sparks is a guy who deserves to compete at the next level of competition. I’m glad to say he will be doing that under the Bellator banner,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney.

The massive heavyweight found interest in martial arts early in life when at the age of seven his father, a Vietnam veteran who taught martial arts in the military, showed him a Bruce Lee film.

“I was Bruce Lee in my backyard after that. I wanted to be him,” said Sparks . “From that point on I was just obsessed with anything combat sports related kickboxing, judo, Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, boxing – you name it, Bruce Lee is the reason I’m fighting today.”

Before going pro in 2006, Sparks amassed an unblemished amateur MMA record of 5-0 but found it frustratingly hard to find fights, with many of his opponents backing out at the last minute after seeing the 265 plus pound Sparks. This has also happened in his professional career.

“I’ve had so many opponents pull out of fights with me in the past. I guess a lot of guys don’t want to lose to me or they feel like I’m that big of a threat,” Said Sparks . “It’s frustrating because I have to train almost 9 weeks sometimes for fights these guys just to pull out.”

Looking toward the next level of his career, the 36-year old is eager to bring his tenacity to the Bellator cage.

“When that bell rings and I come out, people are going to be like, ‘This guy is for real,’ because when I come across that cage, I’m going to be throwing hell for a good fifteen minutes,” said Sparks. “I want the Bellator Heavyweight Title, and I’ll be ready to go through hell to get it.”

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Great signing by BFC-these guys continue to be a threat

Think this guy was supposed to fight Bobby Lashely a while back… probably a good thing that didn’t happen for Bobby.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

yeah if Lashley had fought this monster he would have been derailed for sure

• Angry Mike says:

Dude’s 36 years old and he’s only had 6 pro fights? Where’s he been? Prison for eating smaller people?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

WTF-36 years old-so what-moving forward

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Well there is no page on him on Wiki, fight wiki has limited info on him and none of his opponents have pages. The only kick boxing footage of him is him gassing and then getting head kicked into oblivion and the MMA footage is him beating up fat guys in their only ever MMA fight or other fat guys who have lost 15 times more than they have won in shows little bigger than back yard contests. So for now I will reserve my judgement about Kimbo err I mean Bob Sapp umm I mean Ron Sparks and will not insinuate that the whole idea of him fighting Lashley was feeding Lashley an opponent who looked mean and nasty but was really just a can.
    But like I said I will reserve my judgement.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

all you have to do is type his name on sherdog-it’s 2010

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yep figured that one out but only because it’s not only 2010 but almost 2011.
    That is how I know that 4 of his 6 wins came against guys who have only fought in MMA once and have never fought again (that would be the fat guys who clearly didn’t know a Arm lock from a door lock on you tube) and another came via destruction of another fat dude who has lost 15 times more than he has won. He did beat a guy who is 3-1 though… but his wins were over guys that have a combined record of 30-54 and were probably all fat.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

By the way the guy who is 3-1 that Sparks beat … he is fat too.