Alistair Overeem vs. Todd Duffee confirmed for New Year’s Eve

Speculation on Alistair Overeem’s next opponent is over, as Todd Duffee has been confirmed as stepping in to face the dynamic Dutch striker on December 31 at “Dynamite: The Power of Courage” in Saitama, Japan. The 25-year old is known for the raw power put on display during a short run in the UFC, as well as having notably knocked out all six of the opponent he’s beaten in his career.

News of the match-up was reported on Thursday by MMAFighting and has since been confirmed by Five Ounces of Pain with sources in Overeem’s camp (who also explained as long as Duffee is cleared for a work visa he will definitely be the individual standing across the cage from the “Demolition Man” on New Year’s Eve).

Though Duffee is coming off an upset loss to Mike Russow at UFC 114 last May – the first defeat of his career – there’s no doubting the threat he poses when standing given the fact only a single of his six victories has occurred outside of a fight’s first frame. He also holds the record for the fastest knockout in the Octagon’s history with a seven-second clubbing of Tim Hague at UFC 102. In addition to the bout at the “Dynamite” show, Duffee is also scheduled to face Ultimate Fighter Season 10 alumnus Abe Wager at a Titan Fighting Championships event on January 29.

Overeem’s last MMA appearance also came in May, though Strikeforce’s heavyweight champ has kept busy including monumental success at the K-1 World Grand Prix which he won earlier this month. He has not fallen in Mixed Martial Arts since September 2007 while having his hands raised eight times during the same span with all instances resulting from a finishing performance.

Overeem and Duffee join fourteen other pairings on the Japanese event including Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Marius Zaromskis, Caol Uno vs. Kazuyuki Miyata, Bibiano Fernandes vs. Hiroyuki Takaya, Jerome LeBanner vs. Satoshi Ishii, and Josh Thomson vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri.

• bigbadjohn says:

How fitting! I read somewhere that Todd’s new year’s resolution was to lose weight and quit smoking (jk), so spending the first 2 weeks of January in the hospital is a pretty good start.

• cocoonofhorror says:

hopefully Roidaleem doesnt overdose before the fight. Duffee is going to show that puffed up hormone addict how to fight.

• LiverPunch says:

Duffee should lose this but has a punchers chance and a massive opportunity to shock the world. I am glad to see his disagreement with the UFC hasn’t cost him big fights. In reality it has been a short cut to a top level HW bout. Overeem has the skill set to be the best HW in the world. A K1 champ that can grapple at the top level is something that doesn’t come along very often.
    This is short notice for both fighters so neither has a huge advantage there and I can’t see this going into the later stages anyway.

• dpk says:

Frank Mir and a few others who train with Duffee have said that he has some pretty good grappling, if that is true Duffee is a strong, and explosive enough athlete to give Overeem problems on the ground. The more likely result is Overeem by TKO early.

• Angry Mike says:

I”d love to see Duffee win,but he won’t. First round ko.

• Makington says:

I think Overeem can win this based on experience alone. He’s been in with the best in the world, and had some success too so I know hell have the right confidence level and I don’t know if Duffee can match his confidence. Either way, should be a great fight, and I’m kinda hoping Duffee can pull the upset. It’s almost like a Strikeforce/UFC match-up we keep talking about but is impossible to happen. This is the best we’ll get.

• elkymbo says:

Where can those of us outside the states see this card?

• Niv says:

elkymbo, first of all Merry Christmas to all you mma nuts out there, and all the best in the New Year.

I don’t know if you get HDNET in Aussie land but that’s your best bet for this. It’s a great channel always airing K1, Dream and other fights as well. I’m in Canada and this is either on that channel or one of the specialty movie channel like superchannel here if I’m correct.

All the best guys.

• elkymbo says:

Hey Niv merry Crimpington to you too buddy and all your friends over in Canada guy 😉 I don’t think we get hd net in Australia. But there is also a strong possibilty that I am completely useless in computer land and that you can watch it on the net. Maybe I’ll make my self a festivus mojito and go and ponder on this conundrum I find myself in. Have a tops new years everyone!

• cocoonofhorror says:

Overratedreem is overrated.

• MCM says:

Merry Christ-MMAs ya’ll!

I don’t expect much from this match up, but the stare down is gonna look impressive as hell with these two behemoths. Duffee is just too green for this fight.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I have a strong feeling that Duffee will not be at his best and Al will use this victory to further his ratings in the HW division of MMA

• Swing Em says:

If Mike Russow can KO Duffee then Overeem is going to break his jaw.

Big Al by DEVESTATION within 2 minutes.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Don’t use MMA math young padawan-you should know better-especially with your spelling of devastation-although a valiant Viking effort it may have represented-it only furthered the misbelief that us europeans were blind crippled and crazy before we ever found deodorant

• Guthookd says:

“Where can those of us outside the states see this card?”
    -Elk

Google justin.tv and search around. Google whsports.net and check that out. Google pro-streams and check that out.

The next day, Google mmalinker and bookmark that shit.

• Guthookd says:

Great match up. Sure there is an obvious disparity in experience and talent, but Duffee has a lot of press lately and had some good finishes in the UFC. This is one I think we can all honestly agree that we want to see.

So stoked to have HDnet now.

Happy New Years boys!!!

• danw84 says:

By good finishes do you mean of his two fights, he finished good and was finished good?

• MickeyC says:

One guy who wins for sure in this, Dana White. If AL wins he goes see ‘told you dufee was not worth the $$$ he was asking’ . If dufee wins then one of the UFCs unwanted cast offs beats SF’s champ. Win/Win.

• elkymbo says:

Thanks Guthookd you tops legendary champion!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Duffee didn’t get dropped because of the money he was asking.White stated that he dropped him because of his attitude.
    Nobody expects Duffee to win this which says that everyone rates Overeem and thinks Duffee will struggle. So if Duffee wins most people may say Duffee is a very good HW and a real contender.
    White (and a few UFC marks that post here) will try to spin whatever happens in the UFC”s favor but I really can’t see it being good for the UFC if Duffee wins.
    Know anyone that thinks Duffee should have been dropped? I don’t. Nearly everybody thought it was crazy. So if Duffee wins Dana may look a little stupid for dropping him so rashly.
    If Overeem wins it wont be a big deal because everyone expects it to happen.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Duffee should have never been dropped by the UFC-that’s a fact-He never came close to making an ass of himself like A. Silva did on multiple occasions

• Swing Em says:

@gike moldberg

My upmost apologies for misspelling devastation, it seems as though my puny American brain is no match for your superior European intellect. However the fact remains the same, Overeem will destroy Duffy in spectacular fashion. By the way if you ever care to have a spelling contest or any other sort of scholastic competition I’d be more than happy to oblige.

Yours in Christ – Some Dumb American

• Creature says:

hahaha swing em u spelled “duffee” wrong in ur last post :)

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

hey Swingem-I actually enjoy your posts-no hard feelings but learn how to spell-please(duffy)

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Back to the subject at hand-Duffee should be at a fifty-fifty chance of winning-I mean Al is untested in in the deep waters of modern day MMA

• MCM says:

side note:

Just read that Tim Sylvia is ready in the wings to replace Duffee against Abe Wagner at Titan 16 if Duffee can’t compete after his fight (beating) with AO.

• mu_shin says:

Overeem has lots of fans here, that’s obvious. What also seems obvious to me is that whenever Overeem fights anyone of note, as in Chuck Liddell, Nogueira, Shogun Rua, Fabricio Werdum, he loses. Which is not to say he’s without talent and experience, just that he seems to have failed against better fighters up to this point in his career. Doesn’t mean he’s not ready to move up and prove himself against stronger competition, but this upcoming match won’t prove a whole lot either way.

Overeem was in shape for the K-1 tournament a couple weeks ago, so it’s not like he’s coming off a period of inactivity to take this fight, but it still seems like this fight is an afterthought. Impossible to know with any degree of certainty where Duffee might have been in his training cycle, but to me this last minute matchmaking seems amateurish and random.

I guess if MMA is just a payday to Overeem, then this makes sense for a professional fighter to take the money and run, but in the bigger picture, with people asserting that this guy is among the best heavyweights on the planet, this seems an odd way for him to demonstrate his primacy. Great opportunity for Todd Duffee however, and I’ll be rooting for the upset.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Kharitonov, Belfort, Rogers, Vovchanchyn and Buentello are pretty impressive victories but like you Mu, I would like to see him really step up and take the worlds best HWs on.
    He is in peak form and now is his time to shine.
    Overeem via TKO rd 2 after an early scare.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just thought I would add that this may be a good indication of how good Duffee really is. What I’ve seen of him has been impressive despite his loss to Russow. The more I think about this the more I think that Duffee could surprise us even if he loses.

• Niv says:

mu_shin “Overeem fights anyone of note, as in Chuck Liddell, Nogueira, Shogun Rua, Fabricio Werdum, he loses”

With all due respect I don’t believe you’re being fair here. Almost all of those losses were at LHW years ago. He fought Chuck Lidell (in his prime) when he was only 23 years old for one. Yes he lost twice to Shogun, so what? Shogun in my opinion will go down as the best ever at 205.

Let’s examine who he’s beaten as well, he’s beaten Vitor Belfot, Igor Vovchanshyn, Sergei Kharitonov as examples, and if there is any HW mma fighter on earth that is a better striker I’d like to know who that is. You don’t win K1 by being average or ok, he’s off the charts with his striking and is always fit, this guy is a top 3 HW today.

Being mma anything can happen, but I fear Duffee is in waaay over his head here and I hope this fight won’t be a psyche killer for him as I expect him to get schooled bad. I believe Duffee has all the raw tools to build a successful career but this is too much too soon.

• Swing Em says:

I swear you people can’t take a joke or something. the first time was an honest mistake, the second time (Duffy/Duffee) was for fun. come on boys im just havin’ fun with you at this point.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

excellent sense of humor swing em-Duffee gets KOed in the first-he just hasn’t been training efficiently