Bellator announces inaugural light heavyweight tournament for Season 4

Bellator Fighting Championships will add another title to its promotional banner this Spring as the company has officially announced a light heavyweight tournament starting in March with rounds airing on MTV2. The last 205-pounder standing will walk away with the honor of carrying the first divisional championship in promotional history as well as a $100,000 check.

Bellator is currently putting together the tournament’s line-up with confirmations expected over the next few weeks.

“We’ve wanted to add a Light Heavyweight World Championship Tournament since Season 1, but wanted to ensure that when we did it, we had a great group fighting for the title. Now, we do,” said chief executive Bjorn Rebney. “One of the best parts of my job is handing over the Bellator World Title belt to a new champion, and I’ll have the pleasure of doing it again this upcoming season.”

The already-established belts have a lineage ripe with exciting moments including 145-pound champ Joe Warren’s inspirational comeback against Joe Soto as well as Zoila Frausto’s surprising upset of previously undefeated Megumi Fujii this past October.

The light heavyweight strap will round out Bellator’s collective trophy case. Other title-holders include “Top 3” lightweight Eddie Alvarez, unbeaten Olympic wrestler Ben Askren at 170 pounds, 7-0 heavyweight Cole Konrad, rising 135-pounder Zack Makovsky, and of course dynamic Cuban middleweight Hector Lombard.

• MCM says:

Bellator does a great job of finding prospects and building up their fighters, so I’m interested to see who the get for the LHW tourney. The major problem is that the best LHW are tied up in the UFC and Strikeforce. I’m trying to think of quality fighters that are available and can only come up with 4, Eliot Marshall, Keith Jardine, Jake O’Brian, and Houston Alexander, and of those only Marahall isn’t coming off a loss or a skid. I look forward to hearing who will be competing.

• fanoftna33 says:

I belive Huston Alexander is coming off a nice second round ko of Sokoudjou, and 2 wins in a row total.

• MCM says:

true, but he went on a 1-5 skid before that.

I wonder if Ryan Jimmo would give up his title shot in MFC for a shot at the Bellator belt? MFC is a great org, but their not on TV and sponsors love TV. (as far as I know anyway).

• fanoftna33 says:

MFC is on HD net but I think MTV 2 gets a few more views.

• MCM says:

Oh, I don’t get HD net. I get most of my fights off the interwebz.

• Guthookd says:

What about Gerald Harris moving up to LHW for Bellator? That would be interesting.

Houston and Eric Shaffer are both good choicees and both already at LHW. Soko would do well too.

I also like Jason MacDonald (up from185), Travis Lutter (up from 185), and maybe give Jason Guida another shot.

Wilson Gouveia, Igor Pokrajac (is he released yet?), Anthony Perosh, and Scott Junk (down from 206+) are all good picks as well.

Get it done BFC. I’m going to switch cable providers for this shit so it better be good.

• Guthookd says:

Just thought of another one I want to see in this tourney – DOUG MARSHALL.

Yes, he’s a little trashy with the no teeth, KD crap, but hey, the dude can bang hard. The whole thing would be worth it just to see Houston and Doug mixin’ it up.

• LiverPunch says:

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha .

“quality fighters…, Keith Jardine … Houston Alexander”

Stop please your killing me. I do think those 2 are on par but if they were to fight each other 1 could end up 3-6 from his last 9 and the other may end up losing his 6th in a row.

On a more serious note, I hope some good new talent is unearthed.

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry Jardine has slipped in a sneaky win against some dude but he may be 6-9 from his last 15 if he was to lose to Alexander again.

• Dufresne says:

LP is back!

BFC wouldn’t be a bad place for Jardine or Alexander to try and find their footing again, but I really like BFC for bringing in new talent as opposed to helping guys get back on track.

• Guthookd says:

I agree with you Dufresne, but some known faces never hurts ratings and they need to continue to do well with their new TV home.

Jardine, Alexander, Marshall, Shaffer, Gouveia and Sobral would be a solid LHW tourney foundation to build on, IMO. Along with two unknowns it would be a winner ratings wise.

Not to mention, any “no body” who got through 2 of those six would have an instant factor of recognition among MMA fans, regarless of the slides of Jardine and Alexander (unless maybe they were Gouveia and Shaffer, who are less known than the others).

• Guthookd says:

On the other hand it would probably be prohibitively expensive.

• Guthookd says:

Daniel Gracie is the first participant confirmed. Coming down to LHW from HW.

Not bad for a first round announcement.