Aleks Emelianenko suffers upset loss in front of Russian crowd

After the past twelve months, and with no scheduled fights for New Year’s Eve, it might be understandable Fedor Emelianenko and brother Aleks celebrate the end of 2010 a little more wildly than in past years.

With formerly unstoppable brother Fedor losing in the first round to Fabricio Werdum in June, Aleks Emelianenko remained the siblings’ final hope of notching victory before the close of calendar and looked likely to do in lieu of his scheduled fight against 35-year old Australian striker Peter Graham this past weekend in Russia at the “Draka – Governor’s Cup 2010”. However, as Mixed Martial Arts has proven time and time again, no result is guaranteed, and in the end it was the 4-5 Aussie walking away with the win rather than the home-crowd favorite.

The younger Emelianenko was stopped midway through the match-up’s second stanza as a result of leg kicks from the successful kickboxer, marking his first loss of the year in three showings as well as breaking an eight-fight win streak, all of which were finishing performances, dating back to late 2006. Emelianenko’s record fell to 17-4 with the defeat.

• cocoonofhorror says:

how embarrassing.

• Niv says:

Safe to say it’s a year the Emelianenko’s would like to get past.

• Guthookd says:

His record is still great.

I didnt’ see the fight, but I bet he wishes he’d have taken it to the ground.

Get your shit together Aleks, and come to Bellator as a LHW for the tourney.

• Guthookd says:

I almost forgot….Cheers for M-1 Global!!!!!!

You held your cards too long.

• Angry Mike says:

I hadn’t even heard his name since he failed to get medical clearance to fight on one of the Affliction cards. Wonder if he did any training since then.

• ByronGiant says:

Dang! Well if you’re gonna kickbox a kickboxer, that kinda thing is gonna happen I guess.

Aslo Guthookd , Aleks walks around about 270… no way in hell will he make LHW lol

• ByronGiant says:

Just found this on wikipedia on their notes about the fight: “Special rules allowing 30 seconds on the ground.”. I think that explains a lot, and kudos to Aleks for having the balls to fight a K1 level fighter in what, if this is correct, is basically an unrestricted K1 style match.

• bigbadjohn says:

The match was hardly MMA. It was sanctiioned under rules where a ground exchange could only take place for 30 seconds maximum before the referee would stand the fighters up. Against a K1 fighter Aleks couldn’t hack the leg kicks and was dropped at least 3 times by the knee blows. Tough to argue that he wouldn’t have a MUCH better chance given his grappling prowess without these nonsense special regulations.

• qat says:

there are videos of that fight available.. yes it had special rules, but that hardly mattered. aleks looked like the russian butterbean, no shit. that was as least as embarrassing as the dive his last opponent made.

* – Sorry, no links to copyrighted material please. Thanks! :)

• MCM says:

I wouldn’t say he looked like Butterbean qat, more like a slightly flabby Roy Nelson.

• Angry Mike says:

LOL. Until he rocks the mullet, he’s no Roy Nelson.

• LiverPunch says:

Aleks was winning the stand up in this against a K1 level kick boxer who has beaten the likes of K1 greats Hunt and Hari.
    He took him down a couple of times but was stood up after 30 secs before he could finish the 8 fight MMA veteran.
    Rd 1 was more than likely his but then he got hurt from a leg kick and that was that, from then on even though he was still winning the striking duel every time he got leg kicked he either fell over or winced badly until he could no longer stand.
    Just my opinion but I think he would beat the shit out of Nelson on the feet and win an MMA fight with him any day. I would love to see them fight.
    I don’t think Aleks would be happy about it but it wasn’t MMA really and he showed his hands were better than a K1 level kick boxer. His record will be 2-1 for 2010 but I don’t consider 30 sec stand up MMA rules.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Owwch! Those leg kicks were making me wince. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.
    Don’t like the 30 sec rule and do not think it should go on his MMA record but I don’t think his win where the guy so clearly dived should go on his record either.
    Like Aleksander’s style and hope to see him mix it up in the big shows soon. He is an exciting fighter and has a lot of talent. I think it is going to waste in the smaller shows.
    I would like to see Roy mix it up with him too but Roy can’t until his hugely restrictive contract expires or he is released.

doesn’t this guy have Hep B or herpes or something… keep it over seas pal. :)