Penn vs. Fitch, six other fights announced for UFC’s February return to Australia

The UFC has officially announced seven match-ups for a February 26 event scheduled to take place in Sydney, Australia including the already-expected clash between former double-divisional champion B.J. Penn and perennial title-contender Jon Fitch.

Penn is coming off an impressive twenty-one second knockout of MMA icon Matt Hughes at UFC 123 a little more than a month ago. The win was the first for Penn in the division since 2004, though the gap in time is mainly due to his recent focus on 155-pounds and defense of the lightweight strap.

In a stark contrast from Penn’s record at 170, Fitch has won 21 of his last 22 bouts with the exception being a unanimous decision loss to Georges St. Pierre in August 2008, meaning a win for the Hawaiian would be significant to say the least. Fitch is presently considered by many to only be a nose behind current top contender Jake Shields for a crack at GSP’s title if not more deserving of the opportunity.

In addition to the headlining event, “UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch” also features Ultimate Fighter Season 3 winner Michael Bisping facing Jorge Rivera. Bisping is coming off back-to-back decision wins over Yoshihiro Akiyama and Dan Miller, while Rivera has emerged victorious in his previous three in-ring appearances out including a pair of TKOs in his last two match-ups.

Also slated for main-card action is super-slick grappler Georges Sotiropoulos, who will face German kickboxer Dennis Siver, as well as former WEC welterweight champ Carlos Condit will attempt to become the first individual to legitimately finish Chris “Lights Out” Lytle in a 52-fight career.

The other three officially announced bouts involve a trio of local products, as Aussie Kyle Noke is set to fight Chris Camozzi, while fellow countrymen James Te Huna takes on Alexander Gustafsson and heavyweight Anthony Perosh throws down against debuting Brit Tom Blackledge.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• elkymbo says:

Good looking card this one.

Let’s hope B.J shows up with that psycho, licking his lips look on his face and destroys Fitch.

Big ask though.

• Oh wha a card! This fight will either be a great ground battle, or Fitch doin his usual domination by smother. And yes before anyone says otherwise I do consider Fitch keeping someone on there back and decisioning them 30-27 a domination.
    I like Condit vs Lytle alot, both guys are dangerous in everyway can KO or Submit anyone from any position, I like Condit to actually be the first to finish lights out.
    Bisping Vs. Rivera is a mismatch with one eception Rivera’s KO power. The punchers chance is always there and Bisping tends to get tagged at least one good time in every fight before he starts getting to the game plan.
    George S vs. Denis Siver is an awful mismatch where Denis better land a spinning back kick right away or he’ll be taken down and stopped in thirty seconds or less. I’d never wish injury on anyone but I’d love to see Siver step out for some reason and see either Bocek(due to calling him out) or Jim Miller.

• Dufresne says:

If BJ brings the hands that he destroyed Hughes with to the Fitch fight, we might see the first time Fitch gets stopped. BJ has some of the best boxing in MMA and he proved it again in his last bout. And even if he doesn’t catch Fitch on the feet, he’s got some incredibly dangerous BJJ off his back that Fitch would have to worry about as well.

But all of that depends on which BJ shows up on fight night.

• Creature says:

I hope the “serious and crazy” BJ comes to the octagon that night, just so i can see Fitch dominate him :) im not completely counting out BJ by any means, but i seriously am having a hard time seeing BJ get the W let alone a Finish over Jon Fitch. Lytle/Condit will be FOTN but honestly im gonna go with lytle here, by dec. but hell of a fight. also going with siver to upset. and bisping by sub.

• MCM says:

I agree with all your picks Creature except the Siver upset. I love BJ and think he’s one of the best P4P fighters in the world, but the reason we make P4P list is cause size does matter. I think Fitch’s gonna frustrate the hell our of Penn the same way he does every fighter.
    Outside of Hardy, Condit has not impressed me at all in the UFC. I’m not saying he doesn’t posses the skills to be great but his fights in the UFC have all gone pretty much the same way, get his ass beat for the first two rounds then come out guns blazing in the third and try to steel it on the cards (with the exception of the hardy fight). Before that, his biggest win was…..Brock Larson? I too think it’s gonna be a hell of a fight and I won’t count out Condit like I did last time, but I don’t think he’s gonna walk away with the split in this one.

• stone says:

I’m a HUGE, HUGE BJ Penn fan, he’s most likely my favorite fighter… I had no doubt he would finish Hughes early in that last fight (of coarse not in 22 seconds) BUT I don’t see him stopping Fitch’s smothering technique… BOY do I want him to! I’m sick of Fitch! FINISH FIGHTS PLEASE!!!

• stone says:

BJ Penn vs. Thiago Alves would’ve been WAY more exciting, jussayin

• hindsightufuk says:

great fights but i was hoping George would get pulled to fight Jim Miller instead, in what is blatantly the most necessary number one contender fight in the whole UFC. I think Zuffa fucked up a bit there, would have been an awesome fight to watch too
    Also would rather see Bisping fight a guy nearer the top of the division, a win/loss to Rivera does nothing for Bisping except change his record. Still think Bispings a cock, but lets see him fight someone else