Cody McKenzie steps in for re-booked Melvin Guillard at Fight Night 23

When it was announced earlier this week Melvin Guillard would be stepping in for the injured Ken Florian against Evan Dunham at Fight Night 23 – also a “Fight for the Troops” event – scheduled for Fort Hood in Texas the question as to who Guillard’s original opponent, Yves Edwards, would face. It appears an answer is now at hand for fans, and needless to say if the well-rounded journeyman was training for a stand-up war against hard-hitting Guillard on January 22 it’s likely he’s now changed his focus to defending the Guillotine Choke.

According to a report on MMAJunkie, TUF 12 stand-out Cody McKenzie will now serve as Edwards’ adversary at the event.

McKenzie’s unique personality and expertise at procuring Guillotine Chokes made him one of the season’s more-memorable contestants. The Alaskan is undefeated in twelve professional fights, ten of which have been won in the first round using the afore-mentioned method including his most recent victory at the Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale last weekend over Aaron Wilkinson.

The creator of “Thugjitsu” should prove to be a significant test for the impressively-groomed lightweight based on experience and overall polish. Edwards has more than 5X McKenzie’s experience with an overall record of 39-16-1 and has finished thirty of his past opponents with a near-even split between TKOs and submissions. He has won five of his last six fights, including a recent appearance in the Octagon this past September.

• qat says:

tough fight for cody.
    but the ufc likes guys who step in, so he probably is gonna be around for some fights. i hope he can evolve his game. i somehow really like this guy.

• bigbadjohn says:

Interesting little factoid: Yves has never lost to a guillotine choke.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Can I steal that from you in the future? Wish I’d caught the Guillotine stat when looking at his record. :) Very nice!

• fanoftna33 says:

This could be a great step up for Cody. The guy was fun to watch on the show and he looked good in the cage, cant wait to see how far he goes in the LW division.

• MCM says:

He looked good when grappling, but his stand up is sub par. I don’t think he’s gonna be able to take the win from someone with as much experience as Edwards…….but I’d love to be proven wrong. There is just something likeable about Cody McKenzie.

• bigbadjohn says:

for my favorite MMA site, of course!

Capt. Jack Sparrow steps in for re-booked Melvin Guillard at Fight Night 23

• Angry Mike says:

Cody will always be my hero for giving Koscheck a chin flick and then subbing one of his fighters in seconds. Koscheck’s stunned expression was priceless. But I have serious doubts about Cody’s chances against Edwards, whose stand up is light years ahead of Cody’s.

• Guthookd says:

I pretty much feel the same way that all of you do. I really like Cody for some reason and his string of guillotine choke finishes is very nice, but this is WAY TO DEEP, WAY TO FAST!

I predict a Melendez/Aoki type situation, except with a KO finish. Yves will toy with him on the feet and sprawl out of any TD attempts. He most certainly will never go for a TD of his own through the entire fight (which he pretty much never does anyway).

Yves by KO round 2, but if I’m wrong I’m happy. Good luck Cody. Keep that “don’t really give a shit” attitude man……I love that.

• Guthookd says:

BTW, that 3-Musketeer look is dynamite!