Leonard Garcia fighting Nam Phan at TUF 12 Finale

Ultimate Fighter Season 12 semi-finalist Nam Phan will join a number of his castmates on Saturday night when the group steps into the Octagon and competes at the season’s finale. However, while his Ultimate Fighter peers are set to square off against each other, the more-experienced Phan will be facing former WEC title-contender Leonard Garcia at 145 pounds.

News of the pairing was first reported by MMAJunkie.

Based on both fighters’ previous performances it seems likely the bout should involve a heavy dose of stand-up. Phan is 16-7 in his career with seven TKOs and has shown a willingness to exchange on his feet, as evident in his semi-final bout against Michael Johnson. Garcia, who is 14-6-1 in his career, is also known for throwing caution to the wind where striking is concerned, though interestingly enough has won the bulk of his match-ups by way of submission.

In addition to Phan’s involvement on the card, the UFC has officially announced a bout featuring fellow “Final Four” fighter Kyle Watson against Sako Chivitchian, as well as a scrap between Brit Aaron Wilkinson and scruffy, submission-specialist Cody McKenzie. Also, as revealed on this past week’s two-hour episode, Jonathan Brookins and Johnson will compete for season’s crown in the evening’s headlining bout.

Nam Phan has got a big opportunity here but talk about jumpin from the frying pan into the fire, guess it’s do or die for Nam.

Glad to see Kyle got a fight aswell.

• Angry Mike says:

Phan will have a significant size advantage, but Garcia has more experience, is a better technical striker, and can push the pace more than Brookings or any other TUF cast member. It’s Garcia’s fight to lose, and I don’t see that happening.

• fanoftna33 says:

Did anybody else get a laugh out of Kos telling Nam how Johnson lost that last round because he was a boring wrestler and did nothing with his takedown- I am sure that is a staple at AKA training.

• Spoken says:

No offense, but i feel obliged to point out that both Cain Velasquez and Daniel Cormier, though excellent wrestlers, are very effective all-around and are never satisfied with a lay and pray performance. Lets not go all “White Vs Jackson’s camp” on AKA without lookin at the whole picture, fanoftna…

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes AKA is a good camp I just find it Ironic after Josh’s last win over Daley that he is getting on Johnson for using his wrestling in round 3 of a great fight that saw Johnson involved in three times as many striking exchanges as Kos was in. It just gets to me seeing a guy the UFC puts out there as a mentor belittleing Johnson like that.

• Spoken says:

We are in agreement on that, sir. i was kind of hoping that kos would turn out to be a seemingly decent person from this season, but he angers me more now than ever. especially after his encounter with the so-called “male nurse.” he claims he had to defend the guys and respect them, but turns around and disrespects johnson by calling him a boring wrestler. The guy is a hypocrite, not to mention he thinks he’s far funnier than he is.

• MCM says:

Nam was my pick to win the whole show when it was first announced that he’d be on it, oh well.
    Nam has been fighting more at 145 so I don’t think there will be a big size difference between the two. I think Nam is the more technical fighter but after watching him in the Johnson fight, I don’t think he likes getting hit. Leonard likes to throw those power punches, but I don’t think he has enough to put Nam away. Phan also has an excellent ground game but I doubt he’ll be able to catch Garcia in anything.
    It’s gonna be a good fight, but I’m pretty sure Garcia will take the UD simply by being the aggressor and going full tilt for all three rounds.