Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva moved up to UFC 125 main card

As speculated on since the announcement UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo had withdrawn from the event due to an injury, the bout between light heavyweights Brandon Vera and Thiago Silva has been added to the PPV portion of UFC 125 as a replacement for the postponed 145-pound title-fight.

The change has been made official according to event’s line-up as listed on the UFC website.

In addition to offering Vera an opportunity to get back on the winning track after back-to-back losses, the occasion also marks the first time “The Truth” has been in action since suffering three broken bones in his face as a result of a Jon Jones elbow endured in their match-up last March. The lanky Californian is 11-5 overall with past wins over Krzysztof Soszynski and Frank Mir.

Like Vera, Silva will also be coming off a defeat in his previous bout and extended layoff. The 14-2 American Top Team product last fought in January, losing a decision to Rashad Evans, and is only now recovered from a chronic back injury he’d dealt with prior to the bout.

UFC 125 is scheduled for January 1st, 2011 and features a headlining championship clash between Frank Edgar and Gray Maynard, as well as Chris Leben testing Brian Stann’s stand-up, a scrap between lightweights Clay Guida and Takanori Gomi, and Nate Diaz in action against Dong Hyun Kim.

Battle of the walking wounded… wonder if Vera’s face can take a punch after all that damage he took from those elbows JJ landed they were viscious.

• MCM says:

I really hope Vera returns to form. The guy has all the potential in the world, he just seems to have lost the will to be a top fighter. Thiago is gonna bring in to him so if he doesn’t come prepared, mentally as well as physically, he’s gonna wake up out of a job.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am with you MCM, although I also hope to see Silva stay and not be cut after 2 losses in a row( losing 3 of his last 4 I belive) Hopefully these guys put on a great fight as both have serious potential so the neither looks bad in the end.

• This is one of those rare fights where i dont really like either guy. Vera has been the epitome of a cocky fighter since winning his first HW fight and calling out Chuck and since Silva has always been somewhat that way as well. However, i do like both their style of huck em chuck em and let it go(except for silvas complete quitting after damn near KOing rashad.)

I have this weird feeling of Vera ending this with BRUTAL leg kicks.

But Im with Rece…how’s his face gonna hold up after Jones smashed it in?

• Guthookd says:

I think this is a good example of a match up that has no real contdentership implications but has all the appeal in the world, regardless.

I like both guys. I think both guys are tough and skilled. Both must be very hungry for a redemption win.

This, along with a fight between Leben/Stann makes for a pretty decent card IMO.

• matt says:

I am very excited this fight got promoted to the main card since we do not know if this card was going to feature a spike prelims special. Vera and Silva both like to slug it out on the feet and both have knockout power. I would have much rather seen Aldo defend his title but this is also a great fight and a potential loser leaves town match. I believe if Vera loses he is definitely getting his walking papers from the ufc. I believe Silva might also get his with a lose but I see the ufc likely keeping him around as long as he loses a competitive and exciting fight.

Yeah Gut I can’t wait to see Leben back in action

• Dufresne says:

I’m also with you MCM, Vera came into the UFC looking like an absolute beast. Then he broke his hand in his title fight with Sylvia on the way to a loss and he hasn’t looked the same since. I want to see the same guy that decimated Mir and Eilers and finished 7 of his first 8 fights, not the guy that got TKO’d by Werdum (great fighter, but not known as a power puncher. Especially against a muay thai guy like Vera) and went to a split decision loss to Jardine. I want the fire back.

Same for Silva to be honest. I don’t want the showboater that gassed against Rashad, I want the guy that was punching people in the face and finishing the job with killer instinct.

Yeah Gut I can’t wait to see Leben back in action

Every time someone gets hurt or sick I’m always hoping that they’ll announce that Leben has stepped up again. He’s got some personal issues to iron out, but the boy can flat out fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Two years ago if you told me that both of these guys would be on the verge of being cut, I wouldn’t have believed it. After this fight I suspect at least one of them will be.

• ash-uk-187 says:

Im looking forward to this card. I may even try and stay up late to watch it live 😉
    Mostly pumped to see Leben and Guida fight again but this fight has also got great potential. Hopefully we get a show from these guys as Im not exactly expecting fireworks from Edgar and Maynard!

• elkymbo says:

Couldn’t give a shit about the main event. But the rest of the car is ace!

• elkymbo says: