Randy Couture focused on films, not fighting, for early 2011

Former double-divisional champ, and Mixed Martial Arts icon, Randy Couture is trading in the cuts of the cage for the sort found on a movie set. Where that leaves his Mixed Martial Arts career is nowhere short of absolute uncertainty.

The last fans heard of Couture’s future was when he spoke to ESPN’s MMA Live, where he said, “You know, I’ve had an amazing year…my last two fights, in all honesty, were novelty fights. Not to take anything away from my opponents, but that’s the truth of the matter. They didn’t really matter in the division, they didn’t put me any closer to a title. And, you know, I have to make a decision at some point.”

Now news of the XTreme Couture founder’s still-expanding Hollywood career has come via a recent radio conversation with MMAJunkie, where it was revealed his next project involves a film called “Setup” with Bruce Willis that starts rolling in December which he will then follow up with “The Expendables” sequel in March.

“(MMA) is on hold for now,” he explained on the program. “You never know what (the UFC is) going to throw at me. We’ll see, and if it’s interesting, I might not be able to walk away from it.”

Couture is 19-10 and has won his last three fights, including a first-round submission of James Toney at UFC 118 this past August. He has also notched victories over Brandon Vera and Mark Coleman during the run.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I just watched the expendables for the third time yesterday I love the old school action movie feel it has can’t wait for the sequel… Randy is the man and I hope he has a great run with movies. I’m also glad he was savvy enough to switch gears in his life and still represent this great sport. Much respect to Randy for winding down his career like a champion should and not tarnishing his legacy, even if he does indeed find an interesting fight and takes it I’m sure he wouldn’t enter the cage unless he was ready to put his all into it win lose or draw. Randy will always be an asset to the sport of MMA regardless of the capacity.

• MCM says:

Ha. I just saw it for the first time yesterday. :) Did you notice Big Nog (or was it Lil Nog) as one of the soldiers? Glad to hear they may do another one, hopefully they get Wesley Snipes for the sequel.

Randy is definitely the man. Unless it’s Fedor, I don’t see him coming back to MMA soon. It’s cool though. He can represent us to the rest of the world.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Randy Randy Randy-anyways God bless-great picture-by the way

• Creature says:

MCM it was both the nog brothers in the movie, i noticed them as well and looked in the credits lol

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I don’t want to see him fight again.
    I wish him well and enjoyed a few of his fights but he ain’t all that. I know I will be given negative ticks as if I was a holocaust denier for saying this but I hope he is retired for good now. The last thing I want is for Randy to fight “novelty fights” to end his career. Besides when I buy a PPV I don’t want “novelty fights” to be part of the card.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t mind some novelty fights, but I have to agree that I’m happy about this news. Hopefully he’ll get into announcing, the few cards he’s been a commentator he sounded really good. I guess he’s a Natural.

hopefully they get Wesley Snipes for the sequel.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

• elkymbo says:

And Van Damme…..but only so Randy can kick the shit out of him.

• Dufresne says:

Preferably while Van Damme is doing his obligatory splits while suspended only by his feet/ankles. Just jump guard right there Randy. Do it for men everywhere.

• elkymbo says:

Or he could just kick him square in the balls so he can’t reproduce and make another one.

You guys should check out JCVD Wiki…

“His final fight record was 20–2 (20 Knockouts), with all wins being knockouts and his two losses being by decision.[11]”

“Van Damme will make a return to fighting and is scheduled to fight former boxing Olympic gold-medalist Somluck Kamsing in April 2011. Various reports have named Las Vegas, USA, Moscow, Russia and Macau as locations for the bout.[12] The winner of that match will face current world champion Jeffrey “The Squasher” Sun.[13] ”

Other fun facts……
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is considered a national cultural icon in his homeland Belgium.
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is a Black belt in Shotokan.
    In 1996, he spent up to $10,000 a week on cocaine.

Married like 5 times and fucked a bunch of hot 80’s / 90’s hollywood ass….

The guys a fucking Rock Star in my book.