George Sotiropoulos fighting at least one more time before title shot

With eight consecutive victories, seven of which have come in the Octagon, George Sotiropoulos likely earned the right to compete for the UFC’s lightweight title in the eyes of many after submitting Joe Lauzon in the second round of their bout at “UFC 123: Rampage vs. Machida”. However, the promotion has already promised a crack at the belt to whoever emerges WEC’s 155-pound champ in the organization’s final show next month, meaning the well-rounded Australian will see in-ring action again at least one more time before an opportunity at the gold.

Fortunately, it appears Sotiropoulos will at least return to the ring in his quest for a title-shot with a distinct home-field advantage, as UFC President Dana White announced the 33-year old will be facing 17-7 Dennis Siver on February 27 at UFC 127 in Sydney during post-event press conference duties on Saturday night.

Siver has walked away with his hands raised in back-to-back fights, as well as in six of his last seven, including a recent submission win over Andre Winner about a week ago at UFC 122. He has finished fourteen of the seventeen opponents he’s beaten including two in the Octagon by way of a spinning back-kick.

In addition to Siver vs. Sotiropoulos, also scheduled for UFC 127 is a clash between welterweight stars B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch, as well as a rumored bout between Ultimate Fighter Season 3 winner Michael Bisping and veteran striker Jorge Rivera.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Man it’s tough to get a title shot in the LW division-There are just way too many good LW’s in the UFC

• MCM says:

True dat Gike.
    I don’t mind George getting one more fight under his belt before the title though. Sotiropoulos is a great fighter but he’s definitely showed holes in his game. Silver may be able to catch him and put him to sleep (but I won’t bet on it), but I don’t think he’ll be able to take the belt away from Ben Henderson.

Sure will be fun to see him try though.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, this is crazy. Don’t get me wrong, Lauzon and Siver are incredible fighters and favorites of mine, but, after beating Stevenson and Pellegrino early on, who are both incredibly tough lightweights, it seems like each new opponent for Sotiro is a step down, rather than up.

Obviously there’s something the UFC doesn’t see in him. And these are good fights for him, good tests. But, if you want to continuously test his skill, give him Sherk. Give him Guida. Give him anyone that is at least a significant notch on the title contention ladder.

It just seems so clear that, after dominating every opponent, Sotiropoulos is ready for a fighter that isn’t primarily featured on undercards or free shows.

For Christ’s sake, Tyson Griffin is 0 for 3 now and he’s still probably closer to a title shot than George.

• elkymbo says:

Strewth! It’s just bloody racist I tells ya! Youz bloody yanks just like keeping a tops little Aussie champion down just cause he likes riding to work on skippy! Crikey!

There just getting a native on the card and giving him what they think is a win on paper…BUT Don’t underestimate Siver… clearly the under dog and is kinda getting fed to George but don’t put nothing past that guy he don’t quit.

• Niv says:

I think this is going to be a tougher fight than most think. I pick George though and I think he’ll be tough against whoever the champ will be at LW.

elkymbo, I doubt racism has come into play here at all, I think the absorbing of the WEC is what happened and unifying the title has to come before giving Sotiropoulos the shot he’s earned in my opinion ( though I’m sure you’re joking about that anyhow).

• elkymbo says:

Yeah I’m only having a shit stir.

• elkymbo says:

Thumb down for having a laugh? Harsh.

• Dufresne says:

Agreed. It’s obvious there’s a huge anti-Greek/Australian streak in the UFC. It’s a travesty. I think it has something to do with confusion over the term “Shrimp on the barbie.” Contrary to popular belief, it’s not supporting bestiality in any way, but good luck convincing DW of that.

• elkymbo says:

He just doesn’t understand us Aussies…..We’re a simple violence loving lot with simple needs and wants.
    And by the way, fuck Sydney bring the ufc to Perth for fuck sake! :)

• MCM says:

I blame the violence on your criminal heritage. 😮

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Stop hating on MCM-he brings up valid points to say the least-Overall-I see the new hardcore UFC being nothing less than the standard of talent criteria from this day forward whatever the weight class-guess what?-It’s big time now Holmes-And-Yes-Torres could be cut if he doesn’t perform

• elkymbo says:

Oi…we were on the first fleet and we were lords thank you haha :)